RealModScene
wabashman

Quick and easy way to update your JTAG/RGH

So you're a few dashboards behind the most current one....big deal right....wrong. If you want to play the latest and greatest games, you will need to update that box sitting in front of you. And below is just how to do that.

Items Needed:

XeBuild: CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

Nand Flasher for xbox 360: CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

KInect/Avatar Update: CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

FreeStyle3: CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

Place all of these items onto your USB stick that you will use for this process.

STEPS TO TAKE:

1)

The first thing you are going to need to do is obtain your CPU key. In order to do this, you will have to boot into xell/xellous and get this key. If you have not done this before, it is easy. Just boot your console via the eject button. It will then take you to a blue or black screen window that will throw a bunch of numbers/letters on the screen. Once it is done, you will be given the image below (your CPU and DVD key will be different so do not use the one in the picture). Either write down the key or take a picture as I did.

Initial image:

Posted Image

What you want:

Posted Image

2)

Now once you have this key written/photoed, you can proceed to step 2. Fire up your computer and open up XeBuild. Once it is loaded, there will be a spot to input your CPU key. Go ahead and do that now.

3)

Boot into FSD or XEXmenu, go to your file browser and select the xex file for Nand Flasher for xbox 360. You will be greated with the following image:

Posted Image

Go ahead and select DUMP Nand Flash. After you click this you will be prompted with a save location request. Navigate to your USB stick and select it to save there:

Posted Image

Let it do its thing and it will let you know when its done. Once it is finished, proceed to step 4.

4)

Place the USB stick back into your PC and go back to XeBuild. Select the source file as the Nand Dump you just created.

For the output file, select your USB drive and save it as updflash.bin or nandflash.bin either will work, just use something you know is the newly created file.

Select what dashboard you want to use, I would suggest the most current one available.

Make sure your XeBuild screen looks similiar to mine:

Posted Image

If you feel like playing aroudn with the settings, go ahead, but do not hold me at fault when you mess something up. However, if you do, send me a PM and I can probably fix the issue for you!!

Once you have everything entered, go ahead and hit Generate Hacked Image. Once it is done, you will recieve the following screen:

Posted Image

Now proceed to step 5.

5)

Place the USB stick back into your 360 and boot back into FSD/XEXmenu.

Go back to your file navigator and navigate back to Nand Flasher for xbox 360.

This time you are going to select Write Nand Flash however.

Posted Image

It will bring up the same select file option as before, so go ahead and select the file you created with XeBuild. And follow the prompts on the screen.

After it is done, go ahead and shutdown the console.

Turn it back on to make sure everything worked as it should. If it did proceed. If it did not, re-read this and figure out what you did wrong and contact someone to fix your mess.

6)

Assuming everything is alright, it is now time to install FSD3.

In order to do this, download one of the available options listed above. ( I recommend the installer version. It is much easier and user friendly.)

Use your current FSD/XEXmenu to navigate to the installer file that is located on your USB stick and follow the onscreen prompts (DO NOT HAVE IT INSTALL DASH LAUNCH, THE VERSION INSTALLED WITH XEBUILD IS NEWER).

Once it is done, turn off your console and put your usb stick back into your PC and proceed to the next step.

7)

Now it is time to update your system files to support Kinect and give you back your avatards.

Remove everything from your USB stick except for your folder entitled $systemupdate.

Make sure this folder is extracted and not still zipped compressed still. Once is in its own folder, rename that folder to $$ystemupdate.

Put the USB stick back into your console and turn it on via controller or power button. The console should automatically pick it up and install the update for you. If it does not, make sure you have spelled the folder name correctly.

You may have to try to play a game before the update dialog box appears.

8) enjoy your newly update console and all the latest games you can.

• Like 7

That is an excellent tutorial, but why did you take photos for step 4?

Print screen works wonders ;).

wasnt on my pc when i used the application, so that is the reason for taking the picture. otherwise i would have just used snippy.

Should I post here if I have any problems after following the tutorial?

I did it step by step, with utmost care, and now my box is stuck at the XBOX360 logo screen. Freestyle2 was installed in a different folder than the default one, so I'm guessing DashLaunch can't see it, or DashLaunch doesn't work at all.

Help? :D

I'm already on FSD3, not the latest.. If upgrade to the new versions using the online update, will it update also dashlaunch? And can I do the update to the new dashboard version?

Thanks

PS: What could go wrong through the dashboard update?

Excellent tutorial...worked perfectly (even with my son saying " don't do it dad--you will mess up my xbox" -- ye of little faith!!!

Thanks,

GREAT tut wabashman. Every time I go through one of these Dashboard updates I learn a little bit more about the process and what is where and why. As always I do have a few questions:

• is it necessary to reinstall FSD after one of these Dashboard updates if you are running the current version of FSD?

• is it always necessary to reinstall the avatar and kinect support after one of these updates? Which file do I use?

• Does Dashlaunch actually launch FSD? If it does why is Dashlaunch necessary? Why couldn't FSD just be launched via an intial xex file?

• Where is the Microsoft Dashboard actually stored?

• Can I assume that the NAND is used to store the code that via a timing backdoor invokes Dashlaunch which in turn launches FSD?
Many thanks for taking the time to answer these basic questions,

outofwork

The update for 16202 was so easy it was hard to believe.

Two questions remain:

1) I have lost my avatar, all I have is a pure white outline even though the $Systemupdate was updated apparently as part of the XeBuild process. I tried to update the $Systemupdate and got a message indicating that the console was up-to-date. What did I miss? I did download a 16202.pirs file but it seems, based on the console being up-to-date message, that it is unnecessary.

2) How do I get into DashLaunch to view the options?

Thanks,

outofwork

The update for 16202 was so easy it was hard to believe.

Two questions remain:

1) I have lost my avatar, all I have is a pure white outline even though the $Systemupdate was updated apparently as part of the XeBuild process. I tried to update the $Systemupdate and got a message indicating that the console was up-to-date. What did I miss? I did download a 16202.pirs file but it seems, based on the console being up-to-date message, that it is unnecessary.

2) How do I get into DashLaunch to view the options?

Thanks,

outofwork

you need to put the systemupdate on a usb stick (rename the $systemupdate to $$ystemupdate) and plaug it in while in retail dash and run the update when prompted

you can launch dashlaunch from FSD file explorer or through xexmenu

• Like 1

Apologies but I am missing something. When I boot the console it of course goes right into FSD and ignores the USB stick with the $$ystemupdate folder. It's almost as if Dashlaunch wasn't installed when XeBuild ran. I thought that it would get the latest one. I remember reading that it said not to check it in the FSD installer. I can't find Dashlaunch so I obviously screwed something up. Is there an easy way to boot up and have it go into the retail dash and not load FSD?

I am missing something very basic here. When I am in what I think is the retail dash I can see the icon for the USB stick in the upper right but it seems to be ignoring it. How do I make it run the $$ystemupdate on the USB stick?

Thanks,

outofwork

hold RB on bootup then insert the usb drive when you are in the normal metro dashboard

Hello, Thanks for the awesome tut, I have a question as Im new to the scene I have a RGH1 Jasper which I purchased, and is updated to the 16202 kernel with the FSD 2.2 and Ive also installed the $systemupdate, If I do the FSD3 Installer will I need to do the $systemupdate again? and also on the download link in the commens it says no to install over existing FSD ....Do I need to uninstall FSD2.2 first ? Im sorry for the noobish questions, and I really appreciate all replies. Thanks and Happy Holidays to all :)

Hi,

I have a rgh xbox360 console.

I'm stuck at stage 1... when I press the eject botton the console turns on (and ejecting the tray) but no black screen appearing.

what should I do?

And another thing, If I let the console boot without the F3 usb stick connected the console sujuested update from xbox live, can somthing go wrong if I accept?

yes something could go wrong. never update your console unless you know exactly what its being updated with.

as for not being able to get into xell/xellous, try using a wired controller in the rear USB port. a plug and play kit should work fine.

Hi,

I have a rgh xbox360 console.

I'm stuck at stage 1... when I press the eject botton the console turns on (and ejecting the tray) but no black screen appearing.

what should I do?

What console you have? Slim with corona mobo? Green lights blinking and then stops? Xell boots without video for theese consoles. Try using webui, just go to "http://YourXboxIp" there you can dump your nand and see cpu/dvd key. That was my case.

Does it matter which update I download?? Im on 2.0.14719.0

if it's for the avatar/kinect update , you use the update that's the same as your dash ie 14719

just update your dash to the latest, it's not that hard, and you will be able to play all the latest games not just older ones

Great tutorial, but I have a big problem.

Well, I've got another problem now. Like I said, I updated the kernel and the FSD. Everything seems to work fine at first walked in all functions of the NXE and the games played normally. However, when I was playing Sonic Transformed appeared the e71. However, the loads normally F3, and most games that tested well, and till now only Sonic Transformed given problem. Not satisfied, try accessing the configuration of the NXE, and to my surprise there was the same error "E 71". I followed the tutorial exactly quoted, so I did not have any problems, enters the system configuration and inclusve Sonic Transformed. I wonder what happened and what should I do to reverse the problem?