RealModScene
vicicarus

E71 Error HDD workaround

Thank you for any and all help provided,

So my system is getting a E71 error(Slim on current dash with FSD3/don't play on live). I did some reading and I came across a post that says it may be HDD related. I boot the system with no HDD and it statrs with no issue, reinsert the HDD and "bam" E71. So if the HDD is the problem, how can I save all my stuff from the HDD. I read that I would need to reformate the HDD. If that is the case, what pc program could I use to extract my stuff from the HDD if infact the HDD and 360 are not seeing eye to eye? I have put a lot of work into my achievements and unlockables and it would be a waste to see them go.

Thank you for the reply,

I wasnt aware that it would read the large HDD. I use horizon only for my 16gb flash drive. Does it read all the partions on the HDD?

Thank you for the reply,

I wasnt aware that it would read the large HDD. I use horizon only for my 16gb flash drive. Does it read all the partions on the HDD?

Yah you can ,

You need to start horizon via administrator mode

Normal mode not work for HDD

Sent from my ST23i using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thank you all for the replies,

Ok, I will try both methods out to see which one works best for me and will post my results. If I may ask, how do I run horizon on admin mode?

Right click and start with administrator mode

And wait for few sec for detecting your HDD

Sent from my ST23i using Tapatalk

The problem is that your HDD have a "default.xex" in the root :)

Or... it's a NAND issue (a bad block that wasn't handled properly) even if your HDD seems to be causing the issue, it might not be... could you run Simple 360 NAND Flasher 1.4b and dump your nand from a USB thumb stick?

• Like 1

Thank you all for the help with this issue.

Swizzy mention that the problem was a "default.xex" on the root of the hdd. I swapped the HDD with another and it boots!!!!! everytime it boots!. Base on this finding that swizzy pointed out, can it still be the "default.xex" on the root of my HDD? I will look for simple 360 NAND flasher 1.4b to dump my nand. I can asume that during the dump I will need to see it the nand has bad blocks? Is that correct?

Thank you all for the help with this issue.

Swizzy mention that the problem was a "default.xex" on the root of the hdd. I swapped the HDD with another and it boots!!!!! everytime it boots!. Base on this finding that swizzy pointed out, can it still be the "default.xex" on the root of my HDD? I will look for simple 360 NAND flasher 1.4b to dump my nand. I can asume that during the dump I will need to see it the nand has bad blocks? Is that correct?

It most likely means that it is indeed the default.xex issue...

http://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/topic/3962-simple-360-nand-flasher-14b/ <--- here you can find Simple 360 NAND Flasher 1.4b, and yes, it'll show you messages if there's a badblock which it can detect... but, if you don't have a default.xex on your hdd, and you don't have any badblocks which it can detect, send me your dump and i'll do a quick analysis of it to see if i can spot the issue...

E71 occurs when there's an error within dash.xex iirc... E79 is within xam and is ussually serious issues... E71 can often be bypassed by simply having a launch.ini launching XEXMenu or something

• Like 1

I sent you a copy of the nand file. I didn't see any bad blocks.

It's clean, no errors nothing out-of-the-ordinary, so my best guess is that your "failing" hdd (or whatever you wanna call it) have a default.xex file in the root of it... get a USB drive, format it in FAT32 (if it's not already that) put XEXMenu on it, and make a launch.ini pointing to it: default=usb:\path\to\xexmenu

Now start your console with this stick and your hdd, if all goes well it should boot XEXMenu and you can press RB once to get to the filemanager where you can delete the default.xex file, to do that you need to select the HDD (HDD1) with Y (iirc) then highlight it and press X followed by Delete and answering yes to the question

• Like 1

One question because I am not to familiar with the text on the launch file. Can I just copy and paste default=usb:\path\to\xexmenu onto a txt file and have it work like that? Just asking because thefsd3 file had more txt on it. Or should I use the template from FSD3?

update:

So I was able to remove the "defalt.xex" from the internal HDD through xexmenu. I then re-installed FSD3, I setup dashlaunch and my 360 is booting like before.

I really want to say thank you to everyone for taking time to assisted with my E71 error issue.

One question because I am not to familiar with the text on the launch file. Can I just copy and paste default=usb:\path\to\xexmenu onto a txt file and have it work like that? Just asking because thefsd3 file had more txt on it. Or should I use the template from FSD3?

launch.ini doesn't have to have all the other texts, infact, it's enough to just have each label and it's value of the ones you're looking to use... like that:

default=usb:\path\to\xexmenu

this is enough to just have it launch xexmenu with all other settings set to their default values :)