RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
gavin_darkglider

Xbox 360 Benq Drive wont Read discs at all

First off, I can say that this drive has never been flashed, as it had never been opened until I opened it, and the laser is working, as I pulled it from the drive from a dead console, that got RROD, No Drive issues. disc spins for a couple of seconds, and laser lights up, then back to open tray. I know it isnt the xbox, as I pulled mine apart, and put the drive from it in this one, and it allowed me to play a movie. At this point, I am kind of stumped, as I know the laser works, assume the PCB works, and have tried adjusting laser rails. Still open tray error. Has anyone else had a drive like this? Trying to get it to play anything, as it spins for a couple of seconds, then back to open tray error. :(

• Like 2

First off, I can say that this drive has never been flashed, as it had never been opened until I opened it, and the laser is working, as I pulled it from the drive from a dead console, that got RROD, No Drive issues. disc spins for a couple of seconds, and laser lights up, then back to open tray. I know it isnt the xbox, as I pulled mine apart, and put the drive from it in this one, and it allowed me to play a movie. At this point, I am kind of stumped, as I know the laser works, assume the PCB works, and have tried adjusting laser rails. Still open tray error. Has anyone else had a drive like this? Trying to get it to play anything, as it spins for a couple of seconds, then back to open tray error. :(

open tray error(disk unreadable??) you could always do what is called a "pot tweak".. i am pretty comfortable you know how to accomplish that, gotta pull out that multimeter tho lol, as i advise NOT doing it without..

https://xbox-experts.com/tutorial/how-to-tweak-the-dvd-drive-laser/

Yes, I do, but I know the laser is good, as it worked in my xbox, before I replaced the drive with one that actually ejected properly. lol. Didnt realize at the time it was a matter of cleaning the rubber band, and if gave me a chance to use the flashing tools I had at the time. I am actually starting to think there is something wrong with the pcb. :(

Yes, I do, but I know the laser is good, as it worked in my xbox, before I replaced the drive with one that actually ejected properly. lol. Didnt realize at the time it was a matter of cleaning the rubber band, and if gave me a chance to use the flashing tools I had at the time. I am actually starting to think there is something wrong with the pcb. :(

laser could be good, but weakend.. hell i have a spare liteon for phats.. but yeah, that would require RGH mod to pull off.. unless spoofing doesn't require it.. but live can tell i think.. as i've been out of the "flashing" thing for a while lol.. but still have my tools for it..

just be glad you don't have to mess with the lil white wheel like in the phat PS2 days lmfao!!

eBitch has benq's for $20.. so atleast it isn't a "costly" repair now-a-days//

if you ever need me to do anything(flashing wise), you know my PM address.. haha

Edit: did some research.. "spoofed" drives will work.. as long as the drive supports ap checks.. which liteon's do..

It is an rgh console, that I plan on selling, and I would buy a new drive, but have no way to flash it, or any money for it. I guess I could put the liteon drive back together, and put that in the console, with a modified KV, so the key/osig matches what is on the drive, with a note saying that if you want to go retail with it, you will need to buy a benq drive, and flash it with the key in the original nands kv. should note I pulled the laser from a liteon phat drive, as they use the same laser assembly, and the original laser had a major blue tint to the lense, which usually means they are burnt. :(

Is the original board from the drive in use or did you transfer the one from the original drive of the console?

That can cause an issue if you didn't flash it with the firmware from the original board using a x360usbpro or pro 2 device.

That wouldnt cause the eject issue but at one time I did have an issue like that that also had a flashing green light issue which I was able to fix using a guide that Blakey wrote on the executer forums that called for a wire patch in on the bottom of the board. Not sure if it will help or not, but those two suggestions might help.

post-56760-0-21970800-1426311966_thumb.jpg

The drive I am attempting to fix is the original BenQ drive that was in the console, drive never opened, console never opened, before I did. I got this console from a friend, as it no longer read discs, which usually leads to a bad laser. I was under the assumption when I got it it would be a liteon drive, as every other falcon/jasper I have ever done usually had a liteon drive, and I just so happened to have an extra one, that I planned on doing a pcb swap with. Low and behold it ended up having a benQ drive, which isnt a big deal, as the laser is the same in both. The lense of the laser in the benq drive had a blue hue to it, which indicates a bad laser, so I swapped it with the one in the liteon drive, which I used to use for game backup purposes, until my flashing equipment got stolen. I just got around to testing the drive, and low and behold I am still getting the open tray error. I know the laser is good, as I pulled this drive from my xbox, and replaced it with one I didnt have to smack the console to eject. so it makes me think that it is a calibration issue with the rails, and/or a bad pcb in the drive also, since i pulled my drive out of my console, and I could watch a movie on the console, which rules out sata issues, and connection issues. I guess the question here is if anyone else has had similar problems with a benQ drive, and if so how they fixed it? I dont have the tools to calibrate the rails, as I could tell by looking at it there is a slight tilt to the laser, and even after I got it strait, it still didnt work. :( Any advice on the topic would be appreciated.   

The drive I am attempting to fix is the original BenQ drive that was in the console, drive never opened, console never opened, before I did. I got this console from a friend, as it no longer read discs, which usually leads to a bad laser. I was under the assumption when I got it it would be a liteon drive, as every other falcon/jasper I have ever done usually had a liteon drive, and I just so happened to have an extra one, that I planned on doing a pcb swap with. Low and behold it ended up having a benQ drive, which isnt a big deal, as the laser is the same in both. The lense of the laser in the benq drive had a blue hue to it, which indicates a bad laser, so I swapped it with the one in the liteon drive, which I used to use for game backup purposes, until my flashing equipment got stolen. I just got around to testing the drive, and low and behold I am still getting the open tray error. I know the laser is good, as I pulled this drive from my xbox, and replaced it with one I didnt have to smack the console to eject. so it makes me think that it is a calibration issue with the rails, and/or a bad pcb in the drive also, since i pulled my drive out of my console, and I could watch a movie on the console, which rules out sata issues, and connection issues. I guess the question here is if anyone else has had similar problems with a benQ drive, and if so how they fixed it? I dont have the tools to calibrate the rails, as I could tell by looking at it there is a slight tilt to the laser, and even after I got it strait, it still didnt work. :( Any advice on the topic would be appreciated.   

i honestly think all you need is a PC with sata ports to flash, nothing special is required unless you don't have 1.. but as i stated gavin, i'd flash it for ya no prob, no fee.. you just gotta ship it to me w/ return postage.. and you can spoof the liteon to benq w/ dvd key, and it will work.. as both drives have AP checks.. old hitachi's dont.. but yeah.. unless you are using laptop/old ass PC.. then nothing special is required.. you needed a probe for lite-on's to read the DVD key, but as you have that from RGH.. pointless..

all you really gotta do is power the drive with the xbox.. which could be a bit annoying unless you have a really long sata cord lol

Edit: PM'd you a link with flashing stuff..

I would do that, but I dont even have 2 quarters to rub together at the moment, that is the whole reason I am trying to get this box working propperly in the first place. :( lol. i do have another idea though. :) I will let you know if it works.

I would do that, but I dont even have 2 quarters to rub together at the moment, that is the whole reason I am trying to get this box working propperly in the first place. :( lol. i do have another idea though. :) I will let you know if it works.

np.. like i said, all you need is a sata connection.. and just use the XB to power drive to cycle it to get into vendor mode ;-)

*proof of equipment*

fdbq5z.jpg

i honestly think all you need is a PC with sata ports to flash, nothing special is required unless you don't have 1.. but as i stated gavin, i'd flash it for ya no prob, no fee.. you just gotta ship it to me w/ return postage.. and you can spoof the liteon to benq w/ dvd key, and it will work.. as both drives have AP checks.. old hitachi's dont.. but yeah.. unless you are using laptop/old ass PC.. then nothing special is required.. you needed a probe for lite-on's to read the DVD key, but as you have that from RGH.. pointless..

all you really gotta do is power the drive with the xbox.. which could be a bit annoying unless you have a really long sata cord lol

Edit: PM'd you a link with flashing stuff..

A S/PATA enclosure unit also works for powering them on. Might be able to find one on ebay for cheap. Matter of fact amazon sells them for 12 bucks each! :D

http://www.amazon.com/AcomData-PATA-IDE-Enclosure-Radiant-SMBXXXU2E-RD/dp/B000VNJD1S

A S/PATA enclosure unit also works for powering them on. Might be able to find one on ebay for cheap. Matter of fact amazon sells them for 12 bucks each! :D

http://www.amazon.com/AcomData-PATA-IDE-Enclosure-Radiant-SMBXXXU2E-RD/dp/B000VNJD1S

and he said he don't have the cash.. and XB works just fine.. as it won't get flagged with RGH boots.. ;-)

and he said he don't have the cash.. and XB works just fine.. as it won't get flagged with RGH boots.. ;-)

What do you mean by the flagging with RGH boots?

What do you mean by the flagging with RGH boots?

Stock nand will flag the console for ban if it boots without DVD drive.. Hence the cki and stuff produced by tx ;-) to not use the console to power to flash the drives.. It used molex connectors in PCs til they made an adapter that came from the wall to molex, to be for use on laptops and such..

Stock nand will flag the console for ban if it boots without DVD drive.. Hence the cki and stuff produced by tx ;-) to not use the console to power to flash the drives.. It used molex connectors in PCs til they made an adapter that came from the wall to molex, to be for use on laptops and such..

Then it shouldnt flag if its powered by an enclosure unit if its not connected to the xbox in any way at all right?

Then it shouldnt flag if its powered by an enclosure unit if its not connected to the xbox in any way at all right?

Correct.. But does your enclosure have the cord connections?? As it doesn't use sata to power.. Only sata to read..

And rgh doesn't flag the stock nand as it is completely diff nand altogether.. And the DVD drive doesn't flag.. The console flags itself if no drive is connected..

You do realize that on an rgh, you can spoof the drive, with out flashing it, as long as you know the key on the drive. Since the drive I pulled the laser from came out of my R-Jtag, when I replaced it for one that ejects, I can easily pull the key from my xbox, and modify the keyvault. This console just wont work as retail until it gets a new benq drive, that has been flashed with the appropriate key. I have also determined this is either an issue with the PCB on the benQ or the motor that spins the disc, as the disc will spin for a couple of seconds, and then stop. Unfortunatly the benq disc motor uses wires, where the liteon one uses a ribbon cable, but I can desolder that, and replace it with the wires. ;) that will only determine if it is a bad PCB, or a bad motor, and if it is the PCB, then I will have to do all of that work again.

You do realize that on an rgh, you can spoof the drive, with out flashing it, as long as you know the key on the drive. Since the drive I pulled the laser from came out of my R-Jtag, when I replaced it for one that ejects, I can easily pull the key from my xbox, and modify the keyvault. This console just wont work as retail until it gets a new benq drive, that has been flashed with the appropriate key. I have also determined this is either an issue with the PCB on the benQ or the motor that spins the disc, as the disc will spin for a couple of seconds, and then stop. Unfortunatly the benq disc motor uses wires, where the liteon one uses a ribbon cable, but I can desolder that, and replace it with the wires. ;) that will only determine if it is a bad PCB, or a bad motor, and if it is the PCB, then I will have to do all of that work again.

spoofing drives was out LONG before RGH ever came out.. so it should work without it man.. like i said, as long as you have AP enabled drive.. which is everything after hitachi 79+

EDIT: from another forum:(too bad TX is offline, as they had this EXACT info also)

All consoles have been updated with AP 2.5 capability. However, whether the AP 2.5 checks are active or not depends on the original drive that came with the console.

Within the KV (Key Vault) of the Nand there is a setting called the OSIG. The OSIG is the original drive type that came with the console. This can't be changed anymore (even with the CPU key.) Here's a screenshot of the OSIG and the different drive types.

AP 2.5 capable drives are Hitachi 78/79, BenQ 6243/6493, and LiteOn 7485/8385/9345. (Some Hitachi 78/79 consoles have been found not performing AP25 checks but it's foolish not to treat them all as performing them.)

If the OSIG is Hitachi 59 or lower, or Samsung 25 or 28, then your console turns off the AP 2.5 challenges. Any drive can be used as a replacement for a console with a non-AP 2.5 capable OSIG type as long as you only inject the DVD key into the replacement drive's firmware and don't spoof the drive type.

If the OSIG is Hitachi 78 or 79, any BenQ, or any LiteOn, then AP 2.5 challenges will be active REGARDLESS of what drive your console has. If you put a non-AP 2.5 drive in a console with an AP 2.5 capable OSIG, the console will make the challenge and get no response as the drive simply cannot give one. No response or an improper response both result in an AP 2.5 challenge failure.

Playing AP 2.5 games offline or on a banned console won't make a difference as the AP 2.5 challenges will still prevent backups discs that fail from playing on an updated dash.

The only situation where this doesn't apply is with a Jtag/RGH console where AP 2.5 has been patched out of the hacked dash firmware.

8/6/2012 EDIT:

I've been running my main online console with a LiteOn (as a replacement for a BenQ) for over 6 months. The LiteOn has remained in it during updates as well and I had no update problems. A few weeks ago I dumped the Nand and found no new flags.

As far as I'm concerned, running a different replacement drive following the guidelines above for AP25 capable drives and not spoofing the drive type, is just as Xbox Live safe as playing backups on Live.

Correct.. But does your enclosure have the cord connections?? As it doesn't use sata to power.. Only sata to read..

And rgh doesn't flag the stock nand as it is completely diff nand altogether.. And the DVD drive doesn't flag.. The console flags itself if no drive is connected..

I always figured it used the SATA power cable to power the port that powers the drive itself on the x360usb pro2 which is what I use and it works alright. Would be nice if I just had a esata to sata adapter cable with the data connector cut off.

I always figured it used the SATA power cable to power the port that powers the drive itself on the x360usb pro2 which is what I use and it works alright. Would be nice if I just had a esata to sata adapter cable with the data connector cut off.

look at this pic.. sata is not the power connector.. the bunch of wires is the power[too lazy to google the connectiong type xD](hence the molex adapter):

fdbq5z.jpg

spoofing drives was out LONG before RGH ever came out.. so it should work without it man.. like i said, as long as you have AP enabled drive.. which is everything after hitachi 79+

EDIT: from another forum:(too bad TX is offline, as they had this EXACT info also)

All consoles have been updated with AP 2.5 capability. However, whether the AP 2.5 checks are active or not depends on the original drive that came with the console.

Within the KV (Key Vault) of the Nand there is a setting called the OSIG. The OSIG is the original drive type that came with the console. This can't be changed anymore (even with the CPU key.) Here's a screenshot of the OSIG and the different drive types.

AP 2.5 capable drives are Hitachi 78/79, BenQ 6243/6493, and LiteOn 7485/8385/9345. (Some Hitachi 78/79 consoles have been found not performing AP25 checks but it's foolish not to treat them all as performing them.)

If the OSIG is Hitachi 59 or lower, or Samsung 25 or 28, then your console turns off the AP 2.5 challenges. Any drive can be used as a replacement for a console with a non-AP 2.5 capable OSIG type as long as you only inject the DVD key into the replacement drive's firmware and don't spoof the drive type.

If the OSIG is Hitachi 78 or 79, any BenQ, or any LiteOn, then AP 2.5 challenges will be active REGARDLESS of what drive your console has. If you put a non-AP 2.5 drive in a console with an AP 2.5 capable OSIG, the console will make the challenge and get no response as the drive simply cannot give one. No response or an improper response both result in an AP 2.5 challenge failure.

Playing AP 2.5 games offline or on a banned console won't make a difference as the AP 2.5 challenges will still prevent backups discs that fail from playing on an updated dash.

The only situation where this doesn't apply is with a Jtag/RGH console where AP 2.5 has been patched out of the hacked dash firmware.

8/6/2012 EDIT:

I've been running my main online console with a LiteOn (as a replacement for a BenQ) for over 6 months. The LiteOn has remained in it during updates as well and I had no update problems. A few weeks ago I dumped the Nand and found no new flags.

As far as I'm concerned, running a different replacement drive following the guidelines above for AP25 capable drives and not spoofing the drive type, is just as Xbox Live safe as playing backups on Live.

this doesnt work after dash 13xxx where the firmware was updated I dont remember the last 3 digits, but it was the last 1 before the 14xxx series of updates. After that the spoofed firmwares stopped working. :( I have narrowed down the issue to either the motor that spins the disc, or the PCB, I am hoping it is the motor, and not the PCB, but that is a mission for tomorrow.

• Like 1

look at this pic.. sata is not the power connector.. the bunch of wires is the power[too lazy to google the connectiong type xD](hence the molex adapter):

You know... I'm not as ignorant as you think I am...

post-56760-0-47124900-1433758915_thumb.jpgpost-56760-0-45522600-1433758917_thumb.jpgpost-56760-0-43374100-1433758919_thumb.jpgpost-56760-0-67765600-1433758921_thumb.jpg

Anyways, I'm headed to bed, good luck Gavin, I do really hope you fix your problem and wish you the best of luck.

this doesnt work after dash 13xxx where the firmware was updated I dont remember the last 3 digits, but it was the last 1 before the 14xxx series of updates. After that the spoofed firmwares stopped working. :(

you can't spoof the dvd drive without the AP checks.. which is why people said you couldnt.. the xdg3 update, you'll be spoofing a BenQ with Lite-on, which is allowed.. because BOTH drives have AP enabled.. but either way is up to you m8.. i got class in 12 hrs, and need some rest..