RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
gangrel_1313

I wish there was an AIO Aurora Skinning Program with GUI

I consider myself pretty good at creating graphics to a certain extent, and I would love to make some skins for Aurora, but I've tried to figure out how a number of different occasions and I just feel stupid when trying to use those programs, like its a foreign language or something..

Matt

• Like 1

I consider myself pretty good at creating graphics to a certain extent, and I would love to make some skins for Aurora, but I've tried to figure out how a number of different occasions and I just feel stupid when trying to use those programs, like its a foreign language or something..

Matt

it is foreign.. it's XB language.. lol.. well there really is an ALL-in-1 and thats the sdk.. 

There are issues with creating a "AIO Skinning Program":

1. All apps required from XDK are technically owned by microsoft, and anyone trying to distribute them in a packaged deal like this would probably get sued.

2. Every new version of aurora changes the way it interacts with skins to some degree, so the author of the app will have to understand not only programming, but creating skins for the app. Most programmers dont really care about frontends, as long as they get the end result they want.

3. It is alot of work to maintain. Refer to #2.

4. there are scripts, and other things that go into skins, and those are subject to change with a new version of aurora.

I could keep going, but I think it is best to leave it the way it is.

it is foreign.. it's XB language.. lol.. well there really is an ALL-in-1 and thats the sdk.. 

The sdk isnt really an all in one tool for skinning, it is a programming interface for creating xbox apps, now alot of the tools required to create the skins are in the sdk, but the sdk alone wont allow you to import some graphics, and a coverflow file, and magically make it a skin. ;)

• Like 1

1. All apps required from XDK are technically owned by microsoft, and anyone trying to distribute them in a packaged deal like this would probably get sued.

Unless you do what i did with Aurora Language Compiler... i reversed/figured out the format(s) used and built my own tool doing the same thing, microsoft cannot sue me for releasing my own code doing the same thing as their code does unless i copy 'n' pasted their code or they can prove that i looked at their code to figure out how it works... (i only looked at the output to figure it out, it's easy formats tho)

XUI/XUR is ALOT harder to work with, there are a ton of different attributes, different controls etc. etc. XUI is relatively simple... it's just a XAML basically while XUR is a binary representation of that data

• Like 2

Unless you do what i did with Aurora Language Compiler... i reversed/figured out the format(s) used and built my own tool doing the same thing, microsoft cannot sue me for releasing my own code doing the same thing as their code does unless i copy 'n' pasted their code or they can prove that i looked at their code to figure out how it works... (i only looked at the output to figure it out, it's easy formats tho)

XUI/XUR is ALOT harder to work with, there are a ton of different attributes, different controls etc. etc. XUI is relatively simple... it's just a XAML basically while XUR is a binary representation of that data

lol Very true.. and you are bad ass at doing that stuff

2. Every new version of aurora changes the way it interacts with skins to some degree, so the author of the app will have to understand not only programming, but creating skins for the app. Most programmers dont really care about frontends, as long as they get the end result they want.

3. It is alot of work to maintain. Refer to #2.

4. there are scripts, and other things that go into skins, and those are subject to change with a new version of aurora.

I could keep going, but I think it is best to leave it the way it is.

The sdk isnt really an all in one tool for skinning, it is a programming interface for creating xbox apps, now alot of the tools required to create the skins are in the sdk, but the sdk alone wont allow you to import some graphics, and a coverflow file, and magically make it a skin. ;)

ahaha yeah there isnt an easy way to do it.. unless you pull a swizzy and make it yourself.. 

• Like 1

There is the other option, build an app that will do all the "hard work" for you, then call the apps from the SDK, but that involves the skinner to have the XDK installed also. :)

• Like 1