RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
burl35y

Recommended Hdd...

Looking to get a 7200rpm 2.5" western digital hard drive 2tb.

Am I on the right track or not?

Also is it possible to partion the hdd into 2 so 320gb for stock and the left over for rgh? Or do you have to do it completely different.

Thanks for reading,

Kyle.

*Edit*

Is there and recommended model of a western digital?

• Like 1

The Xbox 360 can only have a single partition table, so you cannot use a single HDD for Retail/Hacked, sorry...

Any 2TB or less should work fine, however SSD's are not that good, it's better to stick to a HDD like you're already planning :)

The Xbox 360 can only have a single partition table, so you cannot use a single HDD for Retail/Hacked, sorry...

Any 2TB or less should work fine, however SSD's are not that good, it's better to stick to a HDD like you're already planning :)

just a ?. what is better 7200rpm or 5400rpm hdd for xbox 360

just a ?. what is better 7200rpm or 5400rpm hdd for xbox 360

The default HDD is 5400rpm, a 7200rpm disk will decrease load times a little bit, but not alot...

** Edit: **

I should probably mention that only hacked consoles accept ANY disk, while retail accepts only specific disks (a hdd with security sectors which only work with specific WD models for "outsiders", microsoft can make these sectors for any hdd they want...

The default HDD is 5400rpm, a 7200rpm disk will decrease load times a little bit, but not alot...

cons:

- more power consumption

- louder

the profit isnt even noticable

cons:

- more power consumption

- louder

the profit isnt even noticable

It depends alot on the game aswell whether or not it's going to be noticeable, some games you may notice it while others not... but for most ppl it won't be noticeable as it's a few seconds decrease in load time

Cheers swizzy so the best bet is 320gb hdd installed for stock (which is the highest you can have installed for stock, correct me if im wrong) and a 2tb for rgh on a usb 3.0 sound good?

Cheers swizzy so the best bet is 320gb hdd installed for stock (which is the highest you can have installed for stock, correct me if im wrong) and a 2tb for rgh on a usb 3.0 sound good?

The biggest you can have retail is 500GB these days, the SecuritySector for that size should be on the forums here somewhere...

• Like 1

Okay I shall do that is there any type of western digital drive in particular I need to get or not

http://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/topic/1208-hddhackr-v140-build-20130303/ any of the mentioned models should work... these are of course only for the retail part, for the RGH/JTAG you don't have to care about model as much...

• Like 1

If it's for a secondary external device I suggest the Western Digital Passport 2TB USB 3.0 drive. That's what I use as a secondary and the write speeds are AWESOME!

I don't use FTP for that drive as its much more efficient to do it directly connected into my PC.

For internal I use a Western Digital Blue 500GB laptop drive that has been hacked with the security sector.(You don't have to hack the external drive)

post-56760-0-21857700-1426365601_thumb.png

USB3 drives may cause problems for some tho, so we always recommend sticking to USB2, you won't be getting the theoretical speeds of USB3 anyways, you'll get maximum of whatever the HDD has inside, which is generally a SATA2 5400 RPM drive

Usb 3.0 drives are always better although they use 2.0. The limits are just higher.

This is not the theory. Its been tested. You can try same brands with usb 2 and usb 3 controller on pc or xbox with usb 2.0 connection and you will see thee differences.

Usb 3.0 drives are always better although they use 2.0. The limits are just higher.

This is not the theory. Its been tested. You can try same brands with usb 2 and usb 3 controller on pc or xbox with usb 2.0 connection and you will see thee differences.

They may be faster, but they're not "BETTER" as there are compatibility issues with some, even tho they're all supposed to be USB 2 backwards compatible, they're not guaranteed to work on a USB2 port

• Like 1

Yes thats true. Most devices should be usable but if you are not sure then research for compatible devices.

That doesn't always help tho, as there can be a subset of a specific device that works when others don't, it's all down to which chipset was used, and sometimes manufacturers switch chipsets because they get another one cheaper, or just can't get hold of the original one or whatever...

USB3 drives may cause problems for some tho, so we always recommend sticking to USB2, you won't be getting the theoretical speeds of USB3 anyways, you'll get maximum of whatever the HDD has inside, which is generally a SATA2 5400 RPM drive

My WD Passport 2TB usb 3 has no compatibility issues at all. I use this device for my 360 and it is even backwards compatible with XP SP1. The only thing that you have to do for it for 360 compatibility is wipe its GPT NTFS partition with gParted off a linux live disc and create an MS-DOS partition table then format it as FAT32. I figure if people can manage learning how to glitch their equipment and do firmware writes then they should be able to navigate a partition manager like gParted or Parted Magic. The 97.3MBps transfer rate I'm getting from copying my games from my main computer to this drive isn't theoretical, access time on the xbox itself won't be usb3.0, true; however, moving the data to the drive as a much faster alternative to ftp or convention usb 2.0 will.

**EDIT**

Sometimes those portable drives will even have a GPT FAT32 partition on them.

My WD Passport 2TB usb 3 has no compatibility issues at all. I use this device for my 360 and it is even backwards compatible with XP SP1. The only thing that you have to do for it for 360 compatibility is wipe its GPT NTFS partition with gParted off a linux live disc and create an MS-DOS partition table then format it as FAT32. I figure if people can manage learning how to glitch their equipment and do firmware writes then they should be able to navigate a partition manager like gParted or Parted Magic. The 97.3MBps transfer rate I'm getting from copying my games from my main computer to this drive isn't theoretical, access time on the xbox itself won't be usb3.0, true; however, moving the data to the drive as a much faster alternative to ftp or convention usb 2.0 will.

**EDIT**

Sometimes those portable drives will even have a GPT FAT32 partition on them.

True, but... this forum has MANY users that have no idea about any of this stuff, most got their consoles hacked by someone else, and those needing to ask what type of hdd to get for their console is likely to be someone that didn't hack it themselves as the info is available for anyone looking for it, and if you RGH'ed your console, you've no doubt looked for information on how to do so and probably also how to solve various problems that came with doing the install :p

Generally, i try to think of users as someone that have no idea what they're doing and work from there, that way i won't be surprised when they don't understand what i say xD

• Like 2

Ahh we share similar points of view except mine deal with Network equipment and computer repairs but the axiom is the same I believe.  :rofl: