RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
gavin_darkglider

[Aurora] Integrated Emulators

I know, but when they were teamfsd, they didnt really have a spot for suggestions, or ideas from the community, as far as I am aware. Then again, I didnt mod my xbox until about 6 months before link became a reality, so maybe they did, and I missed it. I do recall saying something back then about adding trainers/trainer engine to fsd, and it never happened.

I assume they notice themselves what's better now.

For ffmpeg. It was ported already by other emulators to the xbox 360 xdk. Im not sure if it would be helpful or if you have to report it from the libretro core as it could have dependencies ...

The xdk ffmpeg port sucks, it could have done alot, but they never finished implementing stuff. the only media player for the xbox 360 worth anything is Mplayer, but it doesnt have dlna, or samba features, as it is a libxenon app.

FFMPEG is a library with codecs. This is needed for the emulators as its used for the audio/video output etc.

There is ffplay what you mean. It's just not optimized but the xbox 360 wouldn't manage 1080p mkv anyway.

FFMPEG is a library with codecs. This is needed for the emulators as its used for the audio/video output etc.

There is ffplay what you mean. It's just not optimized but the xbox 360 wouldn't manage 1080p mkv anyway.

Not quite, FFMpeg isn't required by emulators... it's merely one of the ways of doing it... you can write an emulator that deals with the sound conversion on your own... FFMpeg is mainly meant to be used for playback of various video/audio formats... what it really does is convert whatever input it gets into something the system it runs on can understand

• Like 2

I know. Retro arch is using ffmpeg for all its cores right? In this case its needed and already there. I guess its all over the same binaries/lib or does it have special dependencies or modifications for each application?

I know. Retro arch is using ffmpeg for all its cores right? In this case its needed and already there. I guess its all over the same binaries/lib or does it have special dependencies or modifications for each application?

The cores are other emulators which have had their UI stripped away and then adapted to work with RetroArch basically (followed by porting to the various plattforms)

I can gladly say that we now have RetroArch working with Aurora Launch Data, i'm going to check with Squarepusher tomorrow if it's ok for me to upload the compiled cores with this support to our forums within the next couple of days, then i'll compile all of the ones that were in the last RetroArch 360 release for you guys, so far 10 of the 14 cores compile, the last 4 need to be checked by me/Squarepusher and fixed

• Like 1

This is exciting news. Glad to hear it. I wonder if the retroarch team will convert the rest of the cores to the 360, preferably the Nintendo 64 one. :) Keep up the good work, and thank you.

The progress in development for the XDK version of RetroArch is slow but thats currently a one-man job. But i assume we will see some news from that corner

I've gotten permission to "release" these updated xex's, however... i'd like someone to help me test what's actually required for each of the emulators as i don't have roms etc. for each...

https://github.com/Swizzy/RetroArchAurora <--- here's a collection of scripts i put together to compile this whole thing earlier today, it contains links to each core repository etc. and does EVERYTHING for you when it comes to the compiling bit for supported cores...

Below you'll see how it's to be used/how it works...

First thing you want to do is make sure git can run from cmd in windows, that's easy to do..., start cmd and type in "git --version" and you should see something like "git version 1.9.4.msysgit.0"

Next, clone the repository and run "init_submodules.bat" (just doubleclick it)

Once you've done that, you'll have everything setup for compiling, so run "compile_cores_to_xex.bat" (again just doubleclick it) this step will take a while as it compiles all the cores and retroarch, the compiled data will be in Output\CoreName.xex and Output\CoreName\default.xex

If you want to update to the latest code run one of the "update_....bat" files, update_retroarch.bat updates just retroarch (you must first init the submodules or it'll fail!), update_core_repos.bat updates the cores (you must first init the submodules or it'll fail!)

compile_libs.bat will compile just the core .lib files (they'll be stored in Cores\CoreName.lib) this process is also done when running the compile_cores_to_xex.bat file so no need to run this separately really...

Currently 12 of 14 cores compile fine into xex, the 2 that don't are:

beetle-ngp-libretro

libretro-fceumm

• Like 1

I would love to test this for you, but my computer, with all my stuff, including my copy of the xdk, and visual studio 2010 got stollen a couple weeks back. any chance you could send me a link to a precompiled version, and I will test away.

I currently have the roms to test Genisis-Plus-GX, Nestopia, PRboom(Not Roms, Wad files), VBA-Next(as long as it supports older games, as my advanced collection is gone.), Other then the quake core, the rest I have no idea what they are.

As said, I would love to help, I play alot of emulated games on my system, because there is nothing quite like what you grew up with. lol.

http://www.realmodscene.com/xbins/XBOX%20360/emulators/RetroArch/retroarch-360-v1.0.0.2.zip <--- here's the latest release

https://www.sendspace.com/file/d7li1u <--- here's the compiled xex's (you have to put the roms/wads etc. in Emulator\roms\<romfilesgoeshere> and each of the xex's as default.xex in the Emulator folder) you can only use these from Aurora's Emulator integration, which requries that you set ScriptData to Emulator in Aurora then go to Details and select Roms

https://www.sendspace.com/file/d7li1u <--- this might be required aswell, i don't know...

Alright I will post back my findings in the next couple of days :)

Quick question, all the cores in the original file are named for eg. vba_next_libretro_xdk360.xex do I have to manually rename all the cores to fit this profile, or can I just dump the files in and have it work?

I just renamed them, and replaced the originals, dont know what the beetle-XXX stuff is though, so didnt add them.

Alright I will post back my findings in the next couple of days :)

Quick question, all the cores in the original file are named for eg. vba_next_libretro_xdk360.xex do I have to manually rename all the cores to fit this profile, or can I just dump the files in and have it work?

I just renamed them, and replaced the originals, dont know what the beetle-XXX stuff is though, so didnt add them.

These xex's won't work fully with Salamander (default.xex) you have to use them as standalone, i can't compile salamander yet (default.xex) and, once i do i have to find where to add the LaunchData stuff from Aurora

so just make a folder for eg. Snes-9x/ copy the emulator core, and rename it to default.xex, then create a folder named roms, and put the roms in that folder? If so, that was basically what I was asking for to begin with, so if it works, I will be extreemly happy. :) I dont care about salamander, not if I can configure the cores in game, or through aurora, such as manage game genie/game shark data, etc. It would be nice if aurora would scan the roms and add them to the data base, so we could just choose the game we want from the cover flow, such as switch to emulator script, and have it bring up games like it would for the 360. :) just some ideas, then if you are allowed to, you could add an aurora "store" for lack of a better term, that would update the cores, and allow you to download the emulator cores you want. I know I am getting a head of my self. when my room mate is done watching this movie, I will see about testing the cores with aurora.

so just make a folder for eg. Snes-9x/ copy the emulator core, and rename it to default.xex, then create a folder named roms, and put the roms in that folder? If so, that was basically what I was asking for to begin with, so if it works, I will be extreemly happy. :)

Yes, exactly like that :)

Ok, I have tested Genisis-Plus, Snes9x, vbanext, nestical and PRBOOM.

Results so far:

PRBoom crashes with fatal crash intercepted if you put wad files in folder called roms, doesnt if you rename the folder to wads, but then you cant choose your Iwad(Doom.wad, Doom2.wad, TNT.wad, Plutonia.wad) file.

Ideas for this would be to have all the IWADs, so original game wads, in one folder, and the PWADs, (The modded ones passed around the internet) in a different folder. that gets scanned like roms, and then have in that folder a specific spot to put pwads for each version of the game. Doom2.wad, TNT.wad, and Plutonia.wad = Doom2, just different levels in TNT.WAD, and Plutonia.wad, so the doom2 addons should work with those also, and the original doom wads will only work with the original doom. Only know this because when we were kids my brother and I would make custom graphics, deh files, and levels for this game. Wish I still had those, the Harry Potter Doom was awesome. I digress.

The other emulator cores, or the ones I have tested so far, I put the roms where they go, and I can see the roms in aurora, but when I choose the game, as I only copied 1 rom to each, I always end up back at metro. Same with PRBOOM, so there is something wrong here. If you would like I will zip up what I have, and add a rom for each of the other cores I have roms for, and you can see what is going on.

Games tested:

GenisisPlusGX: Sonic The Hedgehog

VBA-Next: Original GB: 4-in-1 fun pak GBColor : 10-pin Bowling GBA:Never got around to copying them to the xbox before the computer was stollen.

Nestopia: Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt

SNES9X: Mario World.

I know all these roms work, as they work with my other emulators already on the hdd. There are no error logs for me to post, as I am sure that would be helpful for you, I can package what I have done, and send it back to you, maybe i am doing something wrong. I am just happy I did this on a flash drive, instead of getting rid of the other emulators I already have.

Send me what you have and i'll try to figure out what's causing the crashes...

I've since posting that pack managed to fix the last compiler errors, so i can now compile all 14 cores :)

• Like 1

Send it to me too please.

I will have time tomorrow to look into this.

Why would you want it, it doesnt work as of yet. You can get the cores further up the posts, and all you need is the cores. My link that I sent to swizzy had a couple of rom files added for like 4 of the cores, and the Iwad for doom2. I probably should have added the Iwad for the original doom, as it uses a different naming system for the levels within it, but other than that it is basically the same, an prboom should already support this.

you gotta be kidding me, i just compiled all the cores one more time... now one of the ones that was fixed earlier suddenly don't compile anymore >_<

That sucks hardcore, If it isnt one thing, it is another. This is why I just fix peoples stuff and got out of programming. It required way more thinking then I want to do. I wonder if it has something to do with one of the new patches from the actual retroarch team.

That sucks hardcore, If it isnt one thing, it is another. This is why I just fix peoples stuff and got out of programming. It required way more thinking then I want to do. I wonder if it has something to do with one of the new patches from the actual retroarch team.

They updated with some code from the original fceumm repository i think, either way... i fixed it... and they fixed my fixes by removing my compiler safety... =/