RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
citrus3000psi

Hard Disk Device ID problem

How does Aurora handle hard disk device IDs?  

I'm having this issue.  I'm trying to hookup two external harddrives.  They both use the same type of external enclosure.  The problem is that when aurora picks up the drive it gets confused assigns both usb1 and usb0 the same serial id.  

Log Snip it:

: "Mounting results:  \\??\\Usb0:, \\Device\\Mass0 - serial: 101998CB763ACDAE30EEC61CAC0B8CDBAA6F8A3E" }
: "Mounting results:  \\??\\Usb1:, \\Device\\Mass1 - serial: 101998CB763ACDAE30EEC61CAC0B8CDBAA6F8A3E" }

Free style dash also does this same exact thing.  However XEXMenu doesn't have a problem.  Aurora can't launch games off the drive when these two are plugged in.  It also gets very confused on the configure paths as well.

Any ideas on how to fix?  Or recommendations on another external enclosure that works with the system and will auto turn off when the 360 shuts down?

It'll be kinda hard to suggest a enclosure for you without knowing the one you're currently using...

We get the device serial, and if in this case the enclosure provides it, and they are not unique, there is not much we can do. You can't really compare it to xexmenu a Aurora is way more advanced. We use it to detect what titles to show and what not when you have the drive connected or disconnected. I can only advice to replace one of the enclosures with another brand that generates a different serial. The devices should not have the same one, so thats an issue with the device.

Any ideas on how to fix?  Or recommendations on another external enclosure that works with the system and will auto turn off when the 360 shuts down?

if you are using an external usb hub don't.. that "COULD" be an issue.. 

if you are not, then might plug in 1, then once it is identified, plug in the other..

most external hdds WILL shut down with the XB.. unless it has an external power supply.. 

We get the device serial, and if in this case the enclosure provides it, and they are not unique, there is not much we can do. You can't really compare it to xexmenu a Aurora is way more advanced. We use it to detect what titles to show and what not when you have the drive connected or disconnected. I can only advice to replace one of the enclosures with another brand that generates a different serial. The devices should not have the same one, so thats an issue with the device.

I figured as suck, that's why I was asking for recommendations on external enclosures that known working.

if you are not, then might plug in 1, then once it is identified, plug in the other..

most external hdds WILL shut down with the XB.. unless it has an external power supply.. 

I'm not using a hub, I'm using all 3.5" drives so they all have external power.  I'll keep experimenting, I was just hoping someone could point me to an exact enclousre so I don't keep burning money.

That wont work. the serial is the serial

That wont work. the serial is the serial

i didnt know you and swizzy had posted.. as i press post, it re-loaded with y'alls responses.. but i figured it was worth a shot on the 1 then the other process..

Ummm what happens when you enter the file manager on both usb 0 & 1.I have expansions i don't recall not being able to access either & seeing exactly what i expect (different data),will see what happens when i get back from work.I am wondering why have 2 externals attached at the same time,since aurora is portable you could always have separate aurora on each drive to show what games there are,assuming you don't have an onboard for dlc n" stuff (its where i like to store that stuff) it'll save having to have both hooked up

Ummm what happens when you enter the file manager on both usb 0 & 1.I have expansions i don't recall not being able to access either & seeing exactly what i expect (different data),will see what happens when i get back from work.I am wondering why have 2 externals attached at the same time,since aurora is portable you could always have separate aurora on each drive to show what games there are,assuming you don't have an onboard for dlc n" stuff (its where i like to store that stuff) it'll save having to have both hooked up

Well there are two separate issues.  The post here is about the device ID problem and Phoenix confirmed that you can't run identical enclosures (same hardware revision on enclosures)

In regards to the seagate expansion not working, I'm only using one as I'm testing (I do not have two hooked up).  Aurora has no problems detecting the drive, detecting games, file manager all work etc.  Its only when I try to launch a game that it fails.  I do know I cannot format the expansion drive inside the Xbox Dash.

I'm ok with the seagate expansion not working, I'm just looking for another enclosure that is confirmed working (3.5", will power off when xbox powers off)

When you access them using the filemanager it'd know which device it's talking to, it's more when you're using the coverflow that it becomes a problem as the coverflow tries to identify the drive by it's serial, this means that it'll probably use USB0 if both USB0 and USB1 have the same serial, if the game you're trying to start is on USB1, that causes a huge problem, it's trying to tell the console to launch a file that doesn't exist (USB0 doesn't have the game, USB1 does)

Well there are two separate issues.  The post here is about the device ID problem and Phoenix confirmed that you can't run identical enclosures (same hardware revision on enclosures)

In regards to the seagate expansion not working, I'm only using one as I'm testing (I do not have two hooked up).  Aurora has no problems detecting the drive, detecting games, file manager all work etc.  Its only when I try to launch a game that it fails.  I do know I cannot format the expansion drive inside the Xbox Dash.

I'm ok with the seagate expansion not working, I'm just looking for another enclosure that is confirmed working (3.5", will power off when xbox powers off)

You can, but not with the coverflow and having different content on both devices

When you access them using the filemanager it'd know which device it's talking to, it's more when you're using the coverflow that it becomes a problem as the coverflow tries to identify the drive by it's serial, this means that it'll probably use USB0 if both USB0 and USB1 have the same serial, if the game you're trying to start is on USB1, that causes a huge problem, it's trying to tell the console to launch a file that doesn't exist (USB0 doesn't have the game, USB1 does)

You can, but not with the coverflow and having different content on both devices

Yeah i'm totally off the mark today..lol..

Seems odd as i use two self powering expansions 2.5" models SRDOOF1 ,both are indexed on the onboard hdd on the jasper & both have no issue whether 1 is connected or both,including unconnected & reconnecting either drive.When either is disconnected the covers become gray,while the connected driver covers stay normal.Can't test what would happen with the two powered expansions as only one has extracted files.This hdd compatibility thing is a real pain in the ass

Yeah i'm totally off the mark today..lol..

Seems odd as i use two self powering expansions 2.5" models SRDOOF1 ,both are indexed on the onboard hdd on the jasper & both have no issue whether 1 is connected or both,including unconnected & reconnecting either drive.When either is disconnected the covers become gray,while the connected driver covers stay normal.Can't test what would happen with the two powered expansions as only one has extracted files.This hdd compatibility thing is a real pain in the ass

That'd be because your drives have different serial's... as they should...

I actually have 10 Seagate expansion enclosures.  Bought just the enclosures as a lot buy.   They all listed the same model number but once you open them up some had different hardware.

I have 8 that all report the same Device ID.  The other 2 report the same ID but different from the first 8.  

IDK, from the other thread it looks like the 3.5" seagate expansions won't do extracted files.  I'll keep looking for a device that works.

When all said and done this trinity box I'm using will have 8TB.  

@Phoenix has the coverflow been tested up to around 2000+ titles?

I actually have 10 Seagate expansion enclosures.  Bought just the enclosures as a lot buy.   They all listed the same model number but once you open them up some had different hardware.

I have 8 that all report the same Device ID.  The other 2 report the same ID but different from the first 8.  

IDK, from the other thread it looks like the 3.5" seagate expansions won't do extracted files.  I'll keep looking for a device that works.

When all said and done this trinity box I'm using will have 8TB.  

@Phoenix has the coverflow been tested up to around 2000+ titles?

My collection has been tested with around 1500 titles without any issues, mostly duplicate entries, but that shouldn't matter...

I'm using a media sonic probox http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0065DUJ0C

I have tried a 2tb seagate expansion formatted fat32 w/64k cluster but it doesn't seem to work with extracted isos.

This is a workhorse enclosure unit that I use that works with no issue  http://www.amazon.com/AcomData-PATA-IDE-Enclosure-Radiant-SMBXXXU2E-RD/dp/B000VNJD1S. Also, did you check the partition table of the hard drive itself to make sure its MSDOS FAT32 partition table and not GPT?

This is a workhorse enclosure unit that I use that works with no issue  http://www.amazon.com/AcomData-PATA-IDE-Enclosure-Radiant-SMBXXXU2E-RD/dp/B000VNJD1S. Also, did you check the partition table of the hard drive itself to make sure its MSDOS FAT32 partition table and not GPT?

There's MBR and GPT, MSDOS is a very old OS, FAT32 is a Filesystem...

There's MBR and GPT, MSDOS is a very old OS, FAT32 is a Filesystem...

http://askubuntu.com/questions/405735/installing-multiple-linux-distros-in-a-single-partition

One way to find out if you have an "msdos" partition table or another, less limiting, type of partition table is to just try creating a fifth partition (without making it inside an extended partition--extended partitions are generally not possible except with an "msdos" partition table).

Another way is to check directly in GParted. To do this, click View > Device Information. A *Device Information pane will appear to the left of the list of partitions, under the horizontal representation of the disk.

gSqMt.png

In contrast, if you have a GPT disk, you'll see "gpt" instead of "msdos." (There are other types of partition table as well, GPT and "msdos" are just the most likely, on a PC.)

cEsFG.png

Note that, while it is possible to turn a disk with an "msdos" partition table into a GPT disk in GParted (with Device > Create Partition Table...), doing so will "erase" all data on the disk! (That's why I haven't recommend that, as a solution to your problem.)   ###AND VICE VERSA###

Since you can edit the partition table in Gparted, it will allow you to delete the table from GPT and re-create it as msdos. ( If that makes sense)

I find that msdos partition tabled drives with FAT32 partitions to be the least problematic for any external device or enclosure unit.

Yeah, the Linux world dubbed it to be "msdos" rather then it's actual name "MBR", that doesn't make it "msdos" tho ;)

Yeah, the Linux world dubbed it to be "msdos" rather then it's actual name "MBR", that doesn't make it "msdos" tho ;)

I've always referred to it as that as anytime I've ever messed with the partitioning it was on Linux. And I am fully aware that MSDOS is Microsoft DOS, I did learn x86 hardware with DOS 3.1 back in the day when all I had was a 386 sx 33mhz and a 20 meg hard drive with xtree gold....