RealModScene
chrisxr

"Slow" Cover-Loading

Are there any settings/tips for improving the cover loading speed within Aurora? When the system loads, I get a handful of covers displayed (around the originally displayed title), but it takes quite a while (minutes) before any more start to appear - they do appear eventually though. At this point, I think I'd rather sacrifice some of the aesthetics if I could have all covers start appearing in the dashboard sooner. 

I presume this is probably due to the volume of covers it is trying to load, however is there any way to save cached versions, or reduce the quality, remove backs, not load other elements (such as screenshots etc.) so it can completely focus on getting the covers populated sooner?

Just now, chrisxr said:

I expected this to be the case. Would an SSD improve this?

Yes SSD is better and faster than HDD In performance

6 hours ago, chrisxr said:

I expected this to be the case. Would an SSD improve this?

6 hours ago, salah.rgh2 said:

Yes SSD is better and faster than HDD In performance

No, a SSD would not increase performance.. you are still limited by sata 2 connection.. still limited by 512MB of ram in the machine, ect.

Might think about having multiple instances of Aurora running on my Xbox and using Dashlaunch to switch between them on boot. Would this be a feasible solution to reduce the collection size?

On 9/30/2017 at 2:59 PM, chrisxr said:

Might think about having multiple instances of Aurora running on my Xbox and using Dashlaunch to switch between them on boot. Would this be a feasible solution to reduce the collection size?

You COULD, but i dont see why..

I was thinking that I could have a separate database for different categories. E.g. Xbox classics, XBLA, Kinect etc. That way, it saves loading the entire database every time I boot...it would only need to load one of the smaller databases. This would hopefully speed up the Aurora "reading content" times and also allow display of covers sooner....

1 hour ago, chrisxr said:

I was thinking that I could have a separate database for different categories. E.g. Xbox classics, XBLA, Kinect etc. That way, it saves loading the entire database every time I boot...it would only need to load one of the smaller databases. This would hopefully speed up the Aurora "reading content" times and also allow display of covers sooner....

that would be what the quickview filter is for mate, you can have it only show 360 games, or only XBLA games, or both, ect.

if you want to cut down on loading times for initial boot, cut off Auto content scanning and auto TU scanning, takes me about 15 seconds to boot a library of 200+ games

The quick views take, ironically, a long time to load for me when changed. Plus this doesn't solve the issue of the covers not loading.

I'm wondering if my hard drive isn't running as good as it could be. I do have a very large library of games though.

I can live with the load time....it's the waiting time for the covers that I want to reduce. I have to be logged into the dashboard for several minutes before covers have all appeared. Not great for whenever I restart the XBox to start a different title.

24 minutes ago, chrisxr said:

The quick views take, ironically, a long time to load for me when changed. Plus this doesn't solve the issue of the covers not loading.

I'm wondering if my hard drive isn't running as good as it could be. I do have a very large library of games though.

I can live with the load time....it's the waiting time for the covers that I want to reduce. I have to be logged into the dashboard for several minutes before covers have all appeared. Not great for whenever I restart the XBox to start a different title.

How many games?

And your hdd could be failing, or something like that.. you can hook it up to a pc and use crystal disc info or another program to check hdd health

I've just been tinkering with my layout and can see that upon initial boot, Aurora starts loading the covers for the 50 games to the right of the selected game, and 50 games to the left of the initially selected game. The rest of the covers remain completely empty for several minutes before all loading.

Is this 50/50 (or 100) a known and/or configurable value that can be set somewhere in preferences?

Also, do different themes have different settings for this cover-loading?

6 hours ago, chrisxr said:

I've just been tinkering with my layout and can see that upon initial boot, Aurora starts loading the covers for the 50 games to the right of the selected game, and 50 games to the left of the initially selected game. The rest of the covers remain completely empty for several minutes before all loading.

Is this 50/50 (or 100) a known and/or configurable value that can be set somewhere in preferences?

Also, do different themes have different settings for this cover-loading?

This is a hardcoded limit, most layouts don't have more than 100 covers in view

It loads these 100 one at a time very quickly, but then stops. Is this then waiting for something? I presume my issue is regarding the volume of titles - does Aurora then wait until it has retrieved the remainder of the covers from disk before loading them ALL?

On 24-10-2017 at 9:24 AM, chrisxr said:

It loads these 100 one at a time very quickly, but then stops. Is this then waiting for something? I presume my issue is regarding the volume of titles - does Aurora then wait until it has retrieved the remainder of the covers from disk before loading them ALL?

It never loads them all, each cover loaded requires a certain amount of memory. 100 covers at the same time was an acceptable amount between covers on screen / memory used.

When you MOVE, it loads covers on the side you move to and unloads them on the side you are moving away from. There are never more than 100 loaded.

It doesn't struggle at all with the first 100. But I have to wait a long time for it to do the same for future loads. However, once they have all loaded, I can see them all quickly and don't experience ANY delays on the covers.

There must be something delaying the first time it tries to load something outside of the initial 100.

Could duff connectx settings slow this down? I've previously played around with connectx, but no longer use it: I had left the settings populated though. Might be a fluke, but seems to be a bit faster now that I have removed the plugin.

Darn I was loading 4,000+ titles in less then 10 seconds, in fact way less. Now its taking about 10 minnutes after I made lots of edits, I think it has to do with the ftp ones.

I'm back to loading 4,000 titles in less than 10 seconds, Im not sure what the problem was, but it got fixed instantly after I disconnected the drives and rebooted. Obviously the games weren't actually accessible but the titles loaded as expected, I then re-plugged the usb drives in and rebooted and again it loaded quickly as expected.