RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
stanley789

MY XBOX 360 RGH SLIM TEMPERATURE

Hi mates good day wish to kno if its normal with my slim rgh when standing or idle or while copying gams or files it runs up from 65-70 or 71 which to know if its ok or the thermal paste trying to finish or if it causes no harm.but when i turn my fan to 100% (the noise is not a problem) i get 56-58 on idel and when playing get 60-60.3,60.7 never go above this and my jasper on 100% never gets hot up to 60 it ranges 50-52 so would like to know about the temperature of my slim if its good or bad and how it resist to temperatures thanks

• Like 1

It's pretty normal temperatures, one thing you have to keep in mind about the slim is that you have both the CPU and GPU in the same package unlike on the phats where they are separate, this will generate more concentrated heat on slim then phat

It's pretty normal temperatures, one thing you have to keep in mind about the slim is that you have both the CPU and GPU in the same package unlike on the phats where they are separate, this will generate more concentrated heat on slim then phat

ok thanks so my slim temperature is ok?

You don't have to, infact on slims i don't really recommend it...

Sent from my SM-G903F

Swizzy, I'm curious-- what's your reason for this?

I use IC Diamond 7C (3 degree improvement over Arctic Silver 5) and Shin Etsu MicroSi (4-5 degree improvement over AS5).

My results are from PC applications. Admittedly I haven't done any paste comparisons on my Xbox consoles, I just trust my pastes to do their job better than the OEM unknown.

(EDIT: I'm in the US, but my temps are always in C. Overclocker forums trained me to measure that way, lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Swizzy, I'm curious-- what's your reason for this?

I use IC Diamond 7C (3 degree improvement over Arctic Silver 5) and Shin Etsu MicroSi (4-5 degree improvement over AS5).

My results are from PC applications. Admittedly I haven't done any paste comparisons on my Xbox consoles, I just trust my pastes to do their job better than the OEM unknown.

(EDIT: I'm in the US, but my temps are always in C. Overclocker forums trained me to measure that way, lol)

Well, the reason i don't recommend it is 99% of the people on these forums don't have any idea what they're doing when it comes to this stuff, you do, but 90% of the world have no idea what thermal paste to use or even how to apply it correctly, most people also don't clean up properly

Gotcha. I thought that may have been your reasoning.

In case anyone else reads this and tries to replace their thermal paste anyway, keep in mind that how you apply paste makes a significant difference (1-3 degrees).

It should be applied in a pea sized amount on the center of the CPU/GPU. Let the heatsink spread the paste-- air bubbles can and will cause performance loss. Letting the heatsink spread the paste is the only way to avoid this. Using too much paste will also cause performance loss.

Last advice I'd give to anyone who dared to change their thermal paste for the first time is, if it isn't broken, don't fix it. But if you've already removed the heatsink (such as a Corona v3+ user, installing postfix adapter) don't reuse the same paste. Clean it up with 99% alcohol and use a quality paste to replace it (Arctic Silver 5 or IC Diamond 7C)

• Like 3

Well, the reason i don't recommend it is 99% of the people on these forums don't have any idea what they're doing when it comes to this stuff, you do, but 90% of the world have no idea what thermal paste to use or even how to apply it correctly, most people also don't clean up properly

if not cleaned with proper cleaning stuffs may result to damage right?

if not cleaned with proper cleaning stuffs may result to damage right?

Both yes and no, the result of not cleaning the old thermal paste/compound is that the connection between the XCGPU and the heatsink is not as good, which results in the temperature being higher then usual, it's not like 50 degree's difference or anything like that, it's small differences like what andoryuu3 mentioned earlier about not applying it correctly, but the little differences CAN make a HUGE difference

Essentially, you want the surface of both the heatsink AND the XCGPU to be as clean as possible

My temp doesnt get over 60C on my Slim Trinity EVER! unless.... it's summer.....

Antec Nano diamond Formula 7 For The Win

Arctic Silver is good stuff too, to each their own I guess...

Cooling profile isn't even set in %'s in Dashlaunch, I set it at 60, it stays at 60,  65 if it's a hot day and it gets up to 105F out here where I live in the U.S.

• Like 1

Personally I never use Arctic Silver 5 anymore-- I just recommend it because it's easy for noobies to apply effectively. Thicker pastes are more prone to air bubbles if applied incorrectly, and Arctic Silver 5 is just thin enough to make this less of an issue.

Antec NDF7 should be pretty similar to ICD7 considering they're of the same base component. So don't get me wrong-- Either one is a better choice than AS5 for experienced users.

Shin Etsu MicroSi (my favorite) should be reserved for extremists. It surpasses ICD7, however it comes out like hard clay. Great performance, just a terrible choice for noobies!

• Like 2

Gotcha. I thought that may have been your reasoning.

In case anyone else reads this and tries to replace their thermal paste anyway, keep in mind that how you apply paste makes a significant difference (1-3 degrees).

It should be applied in a pea sized amount on the center of the CPU/GPU. Let the heatsink spread the paste-- air bubbles can and will cause performance loss. Letting the heatsink spread the paste is the only way to avoid this. Using too much paste will also cause performance loss.

Last advice I'd give to anyone who dared to change their thermal paste for the first time is, if it isn't broken, don't fix it. But if you've already removed the heatsink (such as a Corona v3+ user, installing postfix adapter) don't reuse the same paste. Clean it up with 99% alcohol and use a quality paste to replace it (Arctic Silver 5 or IC Diamond 7C)

@ Stanley789

I find that using a spreader (If you have one) to get it as thin as possible is the best route, remember, you're not cooling it more with the paste; instead, you're filling the grain of the heatsink itself so that  solid heat transfer is occurring.

Also: If you don't have a plastic spreader, putting your finger into a little plastic sandwich bag and pressing it in firmly with your fingertip works just as well.

Shin Etsu MicroSi (my favorite) should be reserved for extremists. It surpasses ICD7, however it comes out like hard clay. Great performance, just a terrible choice for noobies!

@Andoryuu3

Never heard of Shin Etsu MicroSi before, is it like those exotic compounds that are mixed with powdered aluminum and silver? some of the best stuff I've ever used which I can't find much in stores anymore was that original white grease crap that gets all over the place that is damn near permanent. You find it on old C=64's and Stereo equipment like amplifiers and the such. Great stuff actually!! It almost never bakes into a plastic.

• Like 1

Never heard of Shin Etsu MicroSi before, is it like those exotic compounds that are mixed with powdered aluminum and silver? some of the best stuff I've ever used which I can't find much in stores anymore was that original white grease crap that gets all over the place that is damn near permanent. You find it on old C=64's and Stereo equipment like amplifiers and the such. Great stuff actually!! It almost never bakes into a plastic.

Are you talking about silicone based thermal paste?

@ Stanley789

I find that using a spreader (If you have one) to get it as thin as possible is the best route, remember, you're not cooling it more with the paste; instead, you're filling the grain of the heatsink itself so that  solid heat transfer is occurring.

Also: If you don't have a plastic spreader, putting your finger into a little plastic sandwich bag and pressing it in firmly with your fingertip works just as well.

Did you read my earlier posts in this thread? I know you mean well, but this is clearly going to steer him in the wrong direction. Spend a decent amount of time on any overclocking forum, and you'll find that spreading the thermal paste is a very outdated and inefficient way to handle it. It creates air bubbles in the thermal paste, causing performance loss. It's significant enough to negate the benefit of using a quality paste. Even Xbox-Experts revised their tutorials to reflect the inefficiency of spreading, insisting to use either a pea sized amount or a grain of rice amount (depending on the shape of the surface; square vs rectangular).

I don't particularly care if people use my recommendations for paste, but I have a very strong stance on the application method. I was introduced to IC Diamond 7 about 4-5 years ago on Overclock.net (OCN), posting as timxirish (this is also the name I administrated on Llamma.com as). Innovation Cooling gave free samples of their product to 100 members of OCN in return for at least three comparisons between competitor paste and their (then, unreleased) product IC Diamond 7 Carat. This means I was to make six total applications (three with competitor paste, three with ICD7) and stress test my system to find both idle and load temps for each. We were instructed to try different methods of application-- spreading, making an X pattern, rice grain, small pea dot, etc. My competitor paste was AS5. I and many others tried spreading, pea/rice method and the X pattern (I did 2x spread, 4x pea dot; half for AS5, half for ICD7). What we found was that the pea/rice method created a vaccum between the heatsink and the CPU, whereas the spreading did not simply because of the air bubbles. Less air bubbles means maximum thermal transfer-- this should be very easy to understand considering you are specifically using a thermal compound for the exact purpose of transferring heat. Case in point, try applying your heatsink with only AIR inbetween your CPU and Heatsink. I don't think I have to explain why the results will be piss poor. Air is an inferior heat conductor to thermal paste, especially diamond and liquid metal based pastes.

If you'd like to continue spreading your pastes, that's perfectly fine. I'm just saying it should not be anyone's top recommendation, especially since a proven superior method been long known and shared. All I'm saying is let's try not to confuse anyone new to this process.

It's a compound from a Japanese chemical company that usually provides thermal paste solutions for big companies like Honda. They don't advertise much at all, but they still have products developed for computer application. In some cases, they also provide paste to be used in OEM applications. The lowest performing paste in their lineup is advertised under the Masscool brand, but the paste I'm talking about is Shin Etsu MicroSi X23-7783D. You can read more about it here.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the links. You make a compelling argument for the newer method. Last time I as5'd my OG Xbox I just used a pea sized dab and spread it with a plastic baggy over my finger, lmao. BTW, I miss llama, last time I bought from them was I believe '12 when I needed a replacement usb port on my Xbox. Guess I must've bought the last of their stock Lolz.

• Like 1

Thanks :). Lol, you know, back then I did the same with my thermal paste (except I used a credit card to spread). It was how the Head Llamma used to do it too!

I miss them too actually. If it wasn't for them I would have never gotten into Xbox modding and the like. It's a shame they went down. Probably poor sales due to the shift in modding from case mods to controller mods. Our forum community collapsed a little before that due to out of date software and addons. Every day I used to remove 10-15 spam posts a day... Ah, the good ol days...

• Like 1