RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
jackhulk

[Aurora] Shortcut button to bring up game screenshots & back cover at full screen.

Hello

It would be great if there was an option to press a button whilst browsing games to bring up and scroll through game screenshots. This would be great for when browsing with a friend looking for a game to play and just want to have a quick look to see if it's the sort of thing they'd fancy playing. Good for more unfamiliar games like XBLA games. At present it becomes a button mash, in to the game details, scrolling down, pressing left to bring up screenshots, scrolling screenshots, exiting screenshots, exiting game details and on to next game.

Strange request? Perhaps, but makes sense when that friend is a girl causal gamer and she don't like games that have 'fancy' graphics. Good example. She loves Donkey Kong County (SNES), but doesn't like Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii) because the graphics are too fancy. The mind boggles.

ALSO would be great if again there was a shortcut button to see back of game cover at full screen, so my old failing eyes would have half a chance of reading the blurb.

Thank you

For the back of the cover, you could use a coverflow layout to do that ;)

That's the layout I use, but writing on back cover still too small to see as not full screen. Should have gone specsavers  :smiling:

That's the layout I use, but writing on back cover still too small to see as not full screen. Should have gone specsavers :smiling:

At 600x900 px, some of the detail is lost on the covers from aliasing.

Maybe one day there will be an option to choose between standard (600x900) and a higher def (1200x1800?), but thats probably just wishful thinking.

Also Aurora only runs at 1280x720. I assume it helps to keep it lean and mean, but it loses some of the detail that a 1920x1080 would give.

I did post here a coverflow layout that gives a very large cover, and a link to the skin I made it for, but it's still difficult to read text that's been aliased too much.

At 600x900 px, some of the detail is lost on the covers from aliasing.

Maybe one day there will be an option to choose between standard (600x900) and a higher def (1200x1800?), but thats probably just wishful thinking.

Also Aurora only runs at 1280x720. I assume it helps to keep it lean and mean, but it loses some of the detail that a 1920x1080 would give.

I did post here a overflow layout that gives a very large cover, and a link to the skin I made it for, but it's still difficult to read text that's been aliased too much.

Using my Asset Editor would allow you to replace the cover with any size, you need to enable the settings by pressing Ctrl + F12, if you do disable the resize and then change the cover using Aurora itself (with version 0.5b or older) it'll display a corrupt image because it doesn't update the header properly in the asset file, it's been fixed since tho

Using my Asset Editor would allow you to replace the cover with any size, you need to enable the settings by pressing Ctrl + F12, if you do disable the resize and then change the cover using Aurora itself (with version 0.5b or older) it'll display a corrupt image because it doesn't update the header properly in the asset file, it's been fixed since tho

Wow, good to know, thanks Swizzy. 

I'm probably not going to start making new HD covers anytime soon though, lolz.  The 600x900 standard has already been set.

Too much work for too little payout IMHO. Some images are just too hard to come by at larger resolutions too.

But if Unity had an option for SD/HD, it'd certainly gain some traction.

Hello

It would be great if there was an option to press a button whilst browsing games to bring up and scroll through game screenshots. This would be great for when browsing with a friend looking for a game to play and just want to have a quick look to see if it's the sort of thing they'd fancy playing. Good for more unfamiliar games like XBLA games. At present it becomes a button mash, in to the game details, scrolling down, pressing left to bring up screenshots, scrolling screenshots, exiting screenshots, exiting game details and on to next game.

Strange request? Perhaps, but makes sense when that friend is a girl causal gamer and she don't like games that have 'fancy' graphics. Good example. She loves Donkey Kong County (SNES), but doesn't like Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii) because the graphics are too fancy. The mind boggles.

ALSO would be great if again there was a shortcut button to see back of game cover at full screen, so my old failing eyes would have half a chance of reading the blurb.

Thank you

What you can do is open the Game Details menu- scroll down and focus on the screenshot button, then hit LT and RT to scroll through your games.

When you get to a game yo uwant to see- press "A" to open your screenshots, look at them, watch the trailer, and press B to exit.

Press LT or RT to goto the next game.... your button stays on the screenshot buttons and you can just press A again.

Repeat, find games, love games, play games.

Cool thanks MaesterRowen, I didn't realize I could use LT RT to scroll games within game detail screen; this will certainly speed things up thank you.

QuattroGam3r, I'm already using 'flowcover', so is this the layout you are referring to or does your's make the game box/cover ever bigger? I'm not really looking for a skin, just a layout that will show largest possible cover. The link you posted seems to be for skin only unless I'm mistaken? I never used skin with FSD either so excuse my ignorance. 

Cool thanks MaesterRowen, I didn't realize I could use LT RT to scroll games within game detail screen; this will certainly speed things up thank you.

QuattroGam3r, I'm already using 'flowcover', so is this the layout you are referring to or does your's make the game box/cover ever bigger? I'm not really looking for a skin, just a layout that will show largest possible cover. The link you posted seems to be for skin only unless I'm mistaken? I never used skin with FSD either so excuse my ignorance. 

The link I posted is for the skin made by SmokeTracer, I linked it because someone asked about it..

The file I attached, called "Spread by QuattroGam3r", is the coverflow. I made the coverflow, so no, it's not the same layout you're already using.

I don't use "flowcover", so no idea which is bigger, but mine takes up a good ⅔ to ¾ of the screen height on the main cover.

I also posted a video in that thread, so you can just watch that to get an idea if it's what your looking for. Or just install and try it, only takes a moment to test a coverflow. If it's not big enough, then the best way would be to use the CFLayoutEditor and create one that does what you'd like.

And yes, you used skins in FSD and Aurora, just the default ones  ;)

• Like 1

Thanks man. I just checked out the video and looks great, but I think that flowcover is still slightly bigger. Just need to get better eyes I think! I'll ask Santa.

• Like 1