RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
rez667

Xenon Jtag issues

I have been reading though posts, on here, other forums, and youtube,  for the past 3 hours :( and am right where I was when this first started. Please bear with me, I am going to go into as much detail as I can..

I have been having issues with my Xenon Jtag for the passed 3-4 months.  I sent it to get reflowed and have the Nand reflashed since I royally screwed up a dashlaunch upgrade (while drunk).  I got it back and it was working fine.  About 2 weeks ago, it started taking longer and longer to boot.  I was playing NHL 15 yesterday, and turned it off the way I usually do, including cursing at the controller for not working correctly :)  I went to turn it on last night, and nothing..Just a black screen, and no controllers connecting, or green lights flashing.  Just the center LED is green.  So, I thought maybe my NAND is jacked for some reason, so I rebuilt the NAND, and attempted to reflash it through XELL.  I press eject to load XELL, and it gets hung up on the DVD drive.. So i unplug it, and it works fine, and installs the reflashed NAND fine.  I have a bad block (Bad Block ID @ 0x39E [Offset: 0xEEBC00), not sure if that could be the issue or not.  I tried different dashboards, and all ended the same.  Black screen when trying to power up.  Now when I press eject, sometimes XELL boots, and sometimes it doesn't.  Please help me :(

I have a Jrunner coming hopefully by the end of this week, just in case I need it.

Rez

• Like 5

Send me your dump and i'll look into it when i have a moment, i can't really say if that badblock will be the problem or not without analyzing the data stored where that block is supposed to be, and/or checking that it was remapped properly...

• Like 1

I have been dealing with some of my old beater xenons doing something similar to this for years, sometimes with mine it seems this happens just prior to throwing a red ring error of some sort, kinda like it gets stuck deciding if it should red ring or not,, I have no reasonable answer for this aside of solder joint probs under the chip as I have seen it happen to consoles using stock xclamps as well as the old bolt thru case setup ,, one of which ran for like 12 hours a day for many moons and it would do something similar to what your describing and I would pull the heat sinks, clean and repaste, and usually it would crank back up , purely luck im sure, but on that console I would have to do this every couple months with that amount of use. 

since xell will boot under failing GPU conditions I would have to guess this is where the problem lies for all these consoles,,mine will usually boot xell even if it wont boot the dash.

sorry no real answers there , just letting you know your not alone in the xenon world , I still use mine daily, however they are getting tired and I have just recently been able to get myself a couple nice consoles ,, well worth the money!!  while they are still somewhat available I would recommend getting yourself a good Jasper RGH1 or a slim, one day our beloved xenons will pass away for good sadly :(

• Like 3

Begallegal1, I do not think it is the GPU, since I was getting no issues before, and it was just recently flowed.  I do agree with the getting a slim and RGHing it.  This Xenon is costing more to fix it, then to buy a RGH :-/

Swizzy, I sent you a PM with the Dump info.  Any insight you can give me is appreciated.

Thanks.

@rez667

A reflow is in most cases,a short-duration, and can not protect them from the real problems. The reason for the cracks in the solder balls, are Lead-free solder, and physical stress (heat and tensions) on the 360 motherboard. Xbox 360 Xenon has no value today. Save you money and your nerves, and buy yourself an Xbox 360 Slim.  :)

greets.

• Like 4

Begallegal1, I do not think it is the GPU, since I was getting no issues before, and it was just recently flowed.  I do agree with the getting a slim and RGHing it.  This Xenon is costing more to fix it, then to buy a RGH :-/

Here I have to agree with the Dr. about the reflow situation, this would be all the more suspicion to me that this would be the issue after already having reflowed it once.

If it results that there is not a problem with the nand,,If your willing to try something (be careful as this is not exactly proper to do, but has helped me verify the GPU issue on a few xenons and zephyrs)  give a small amount of even pressure to the GPU heatsink with your hand or by placing a properly sized object on top of it that weighs a pound or less (an unopened soda works well for me sometimes LOL),,as I said be careful here, the last thing you want to do is cause a lot of board flex.  See if it boots then,, if it does you have found your issue, if it still does not, this may still be the issue it just will not be as easy to verify and you'll have to keep toying with it or bite that upgrade bullet LOL 

I think I will start saving :-/ Wife is gonna kick my arse.. If you read about a allentown pa man beaten by his wife over an xbox.. That is me :-/

• Like 1

looking at the nand data there's nothing out of the ordinary that jumps out at me, which usually means there is no issue with the nand =/

However... JRunner may have f*cked up as the first dump (which i assume was built by xeBuild from JRunner) had no badblock marker at all, while the second one did...

I think I will start saving :-/ Wife is gonna kick my arse.. If you read about a allentown pa man beaten by his wife over an xbox.. That is me :-/

I hear ya there, took me about a year each on average to buy my good consoles, all the while (and still) rotating my old xenons as they go through the break/fix cycle LOL The only suggestion I would have is to take your wife to the game section and look at current gen systems, then the price of an RGH will pale in comparison and maybe that will lessen the blow ,,this is what I did with my bank... ahem.. I mean spouse :rofl:

• Like 1

Well begallegal.. You were correct. The gpu is kaput.. I ordered a slim rgh, and I'm gonna do the towel trick untill it bricks itself.. RIP xenon it's been a nice run :-(

2006-2015. I'm gonna miss you.

Dunno why I have 2 accounts though.. Quite odd :-/

-Rez

Ahh.. Now I remember.. And that xenon I bought gave a 0020 rrod a week after I got it.. Good stuff :)

Yeah, xenon's aren't known for their reliability... they're famous for the opposite...

So, I have a confusing update. My xenon works, but it will only boot if I unplug the fan and press power. It boots right up, and I plug the fan back in. It doesn't get hot enough to rrod though. After it boots like that, it's fine.. Doesn't really matter much since my rgh is coming today :-)

Thoughts?

Rez