RealModScene
Zero07

"Disk Error" Or kind of.

Well. Hi there.

I've used a lot of the tutorials here to help me out finishing my RGH Xbox but I got a problem that I cannot fix.

When I load games from my external USB hard drive I have no troubles playing, not at all, but when I copy the same games from the external to the internal (original 250gb) hdd the games crashes after a couple of minutes of playing and says "disk error", then you press A and the xbox shuts down but the controller is still on so the console restarts.

I've installed the last FSD, last Dash Launch and tried again, but the same thing happens. Then, I formatted a new 160gb Sata 2 HDD, installed it and copied 1 game (in this case Forza Horizon) and waited through the hole initial CG, and when they let you drive the Viper the game used to crash, but it didn't. I've played the hole first screen before it saves, reset the Xbox, copied 60gb in games, and then I've played Forza and guess what... It crashed before I could press a single button after the initial CG. 

So, I don't know what else to do. Right now I re installed the original Xbox internal HDD, with a couple of XBLA games installed and there is no problems, and have like 100gb games in an external USB drive and playing them also has no problem. But I don't like having 200gb of free space in the internal HDD not being able to put anything there. So, could you please help me?

Yes, I've tried. Initially it worked, but only with one game in the internal. Then I've copied like 10 games more and it crashed.

Your problem is probably related to some data transfer corruption...

What you should do is check the S.M.A.R.T status of all the drives you've used, if any of them mention sector errors or such (even just "waiting" sectors) the drive is no good...

You could also try to replace the USB cable (i know, it's a far shot, but it's possible that it's not as good as it should be)

A simple test you can do is transfer a game to the internal hdd, then copy it back and compare the data, if there's ANY difference between the files you have a communication error somewhere...

Your problem is probably related to some data transfer corruption...

What you should do is check the S.M.A.R.T status of all the drives you've used, if any of them mention sector errors or such (even just "waiting" sectors) the drive is no good...

You could also try to replace the USB cable (i know, it's a far shot, but it's possible that it's not as good as it should be)

A simple test you can do is transfer a game to the internal hdd, then copy it back and compare the data, if there's ANY difference between the files you have a communication error somewhere...

I've already tried something like that. I swapped the Internal HDD with a Brand New one, installed everything from scratch and it didn't worked, it still crash. Later, I reinstalled the Original Xbox HDD, reinstalled the FSD and used the New HDD as an external HDD with the same games and is working right now...

I'll try what you've suggested tomorrow to see what happens. 

Happened to me once on CoD: Ghosts. It said the disk is unreadable...

This ussually happens when the data is corrupted for some reason...