RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
xaxxy

Application Repository

Hey I'm still quite new to xbox 360 modding and have never touched lua in my life (mostly PHP and VB) I have had a goal of creating an application on the xbox 360 for homebrew games, applications and emulators I had planned on making this into an XEX originally but I am still in the progress of doing a RGloader XDK xbox and until I get somthing I can debug on I stand no chance as I am still learning basic c# sof or the time being I have been working on editing the "Aurora Repo Browser" to work with custom sources (not hard) but instead of just using ini files im relying on a PHP script server side (i would have used json but extra inlcudes and outputting it in the ini format isnt a challange) so far ive got a working prototype that will download and extract any Emulator installed into HDD1://Emulators/Emulator_Tyle/Emulator_Name ready to be played I can do this with any software and the server im hosting the repo on has about 200GB of storage for now I just wondered what you guys think about this idea if it would be useful to you and anythning else you would like to see included.

p.s. Don't worry Xbox 360 Content and Original Xbox Content will not be included i will be focusing on homebrew please no law suite ❤️

Thanks

screenshots of the working repo are attached

1.png

2.png

3.png

So it's basically like the Open Shop Channel for the nintendo wii where it's a repository of homebrew & emulators but tailored for the Xbox 360? I think it's a great idea. Rocky5 also has something similar to this for the OG Xbox to download content such as homebrew & skins for his programs.

Heaven knows how someone might come across a link to an XEX program for the 360 they hoped to download & try but wind up getting a '404 not found' error. I suggest you also add a repository for skins that were made for Aurora as a more user-friendly way of grabbing themes instead of looking around the net & again possibly encountering dead links to them. You would just have to find a way to make sure that they specifically download to Aurora's Skin folder as it won't work at other places when the user wants to change their looks.

Considering that some skins haven't been updated in a while though which may make them incompatible with the later versions of Aurora, you can either ignore them or if you wish to preserve them from being lost to time, then it would be wise to separate them by whether or not they are compatible with the current version of Aurora. A preview image of the skins go a long way in helping the user decide which skin they want to use, most of them are usually included in the XZP file. They'll probably take up more space than your typical XEX program depending on what the original author put inside of them but they're not huge like an Xbox 360 game.

There should also be one for Coverflow layouts.

6 minutes ago, MidnightOpal said:

So it's basically like the Open Shop Channel for the nintendo wii where it's a repository of homebrew & emulators but tailored for the Xbox 360? I think it's a great idea. Rocky5 also has something similar to this for the OG Xbox to download content such as homebrew & skins for his programs.

Heaven knows how someone might come across a link to an XEX program for the 360 they hoped to download & try but wind up getting a '404 not found' error. I suggest you also add a repository for skins that were made for Aurora as a more user-friendly way of grabbing themes instead of looking around the net & again possibly encountering dead links to them. You would just have to find a way to make sure that they specifically download to Aurora's Skin folder as it won't work at other places when the user wants to change their looks.

Considering that some skins haven't been updated in a while though which may make them incompatible with the later versions of Aurora, you can either ignore them or if you wish to preserve them from being lost to time, then it would be wise to separate them by whether or not they are compatible with the current version of Aurora. A preview image of the skins go a long way in helping the user decide which skin they want to use, most of them are usually included in the XZP file. They'll probably take up more space than your typical XEX program depending on what the original author put inside of them but they're not huge like an Xbox 360 game.

There should also be one for Coverflow layouts.

So many times i have hit 404's too for now I have a collection of content downloaded from https://archive.org/details/@dominater01 almost 30GB in total but I will be going over each package individually with multiple versions avilable of each.

Thanks for the sugestion of skins I shall include aurora skins,scripts,modules and coverflows is my plan and as i plan on having multiple aurora versions installable i will include diffrent versions of skins too but easily disguisable versions.

Doing skin previews would be a great idea too infact I would like to have thumbnails for alot of the items in the menu but my LUA sucks so I will see how well i get on with that i also need to add in an option to launch after download.

If people are intrested in this I will entually make a discord server used to maintain the repo with updates and new packages

4 minutes ago, xaxxy said:

Doing skin previews would be a great idea too infact I would like to have thumbnails for alot of the items in the menu but my LUA sucks so I will see how well i get on with that i also need to add in an option to launch after download.

I think if you take a peek in Aurora's code which I believe also uses LUA, there should be something that shows how the thumbnail previews of the skins are shown when the user changes their look on the menu. There should be something that goes along the lines of displaying a particular file inside the XZP for a preview of the skin. If that doesn't work then I guess there's no harm in extracting the preview images from the XZP file & putting them somewhere that the repository will pick up on if the names match.