RealModScene
professor_jonny

[Aurora] libretro /retroarch request

I like the concept of aurora all your media in a big list would it also be possible to include libretro /retroarch cores into aurora?

You could directly stary your roms directly from aurora.

it would be ultra spiffy if the HUD could be patched for the in game core options loading save states etc...

The HUD has limited memory reserved. But i like the idea, as it wont happen.

It would be simplier to link the certain file endings with the certain emulators.

E.G. .snes would be shown in the gamelists, and when you click on it, an emulator launcher starts.

But still it wont happen, its unnecessary work, as we have the games working. Its like requesting the Temperature Feature while it's already there. We need more important things right now and set priorites and don't bombard these guys with requests.

;)

Wiiflow has a similar feature, emulators built directly into the dash, I'd love to see this happen and I don't think there is any harm in asking for it as long as we aren't being demanding by acting like the devs owe it to us.  We should always expect that our request won't be filled either, that is unless it aligns with the overall goals of the dev team. I see a lot of people complain on these forums who've never had to pay one red cent for all of the hard work that the devs have put into both Freestyle and Aurora.

However, at the end of the day the devs definitely have a long list of priorities that supersede most of the requests that we would have for the dashboard and they most likely involve improving core functionality and stability.  That said, having the visual appeal of the Aurora GUI combined with the heavy lifting of retroarch would be akin to the holy grail of emulation.

• Like 1

The better question is- do these emulators support command line launching?  What makes this hard is that every emulator uses a different launching method and its no fun to hard code launch parameters into Aurora when the next emulator could come around and just change things again.

Perhaps someone could write an intermediate app that accepts a file path for a ROM as LaunchData and it somehow knows what emulator to launch (perhaps through a configured settings.ini ).   

If that existed, then we could incorporate something that has a uniform launching pattern- making it much easier to implement.

If anyone out there wants to tackle that, we are willing to work with you in getting the parameters how we would like to see them.

Libretro is a bit different to other emulators as it is a library that interfaces between the emulator cores to the front end in this case you would include the libretro library into auroa and it would in a sence become the front end to the cores.

The cores are created to run from the libretro library hooks which makes them hardware independant and any updates to cores will work on other hardware.

libretro/retroarch has been created to address many of the problems with other emulators and many of tthe emulators have been ported across to libretro /retroacrh because of the multi platform nature, it saves a lot of work recoding the interface and rewriting cores for other platforms when you can just work on the cores once the library is implemented into the gui.

it would be awesome if it were implemented and i see it as the smartest emulator system out there retroarch is already on the 360 but the 360 port lacks in the gui department (no covers box art etc...).