RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
jotapdiez

Some questions - 'What's next' and 'Compile'

Hi all!!
First, thanks for all of your knowledge shared with us. I'm a reader of RealModScene.

Is there a plan for a new version of Aurora? I'm not asking about when, I just want to know if is there anyone working on the code of Aurora.

Also, is there any compilable version of Aurora or the latest FSD?

I'm a developer and recently (4 o 5 months ago) bought a XBox 360 for my daugther and want to, as a hobby, try to make something to this platform, just for fun. Better if I could help with a dashboard like aurora. If I can't play with aurora source code, maybe can play with FSD just for fun.
Thanks in advance.
Regards Juan Pablo from Argentina

There's a new version of Aurora in the works yes...

Aurora is closed source, FSD was partially open sourced but requires bits that were not made public in order to be compiled...

There's a new version of Aurora in the works yes...

Aurora is closed source, FSD was partially open sourced but requires bits that were not made public in order to be compiled...

Thanks for the answer.

Is a shame that Aurora is closed source.

FSD3 is partial open? What is missing to be compiled?

Thanks for the answer.

Is a shame that Aurora is closed source.

FSD3 is partial open? What is missing to be compiled?

Some libraries are missing, the main FSD source was released, but it was an old version, F3 source code was never released, and i don't think the devs even have all the code from it anymore, either way it was a huge mess...

Aurora is closed source because if it wasn't, alot of unofficial builds would be released with small modifications by random people most of which wouldn't have much of a clue what they're doing resulting in more time being spent by us trying to fix bugs that aren't there in our own code... It's also taken ALOT of time to develop it, and it's not even "done" yet, we're releasing beta's still...

1.) you dont have to checkout foreign commits. That's a decision of the original owners.

2.) people could bring ideas, hint at bugs, which may lead to improve development.

3.) you will have a legacy. The project can still be continued by others in case of your break up or death.

There arent many people with knowledge of developing homebrew for the 360 anymore. And if the scene dies, then closed source is definitly one of the reasons why it does.

We know there are some reasons why it is like how it is for Phoenix right know. Its ok, they do it good how they do. They have experience. I would like to get such experience too. And its harder with closed source. With access you still will have years of learning in front of you.

1) Yes, but that's not what we're talking about, Unofficial builds... how can you really tell which is official and unofficial if they're on the same revision etc.?

2) Sure, bring ideas and tell us about bugs you discover, you already do that in this forum...

3) Sure, but... it's still very much in development, therefor we prefer keeping it the way we have it now...

XeLL/Libxenon is open source, if you look at that code you'll see it's a HUGE mess... that's not a good thing as alot of ppl have come and gone, they come, do some minor modifications get tired of it all and just leaves... many different coding styles and few comments explaining things... Having more open sourced projects doesn't keep the scene alive... having developers willing to actually TRY something is what keeps it alive... If someone have ideas of features, feel free to post them in the forum, if we like your idea we'll build it, if you want to help out with the project alongside the rest of us, all you have to do is ask to do so... having people work on separate versions doesn't bring development forward, it just branches development into different versions all over the place...

If you really want to learn 360 Homebrew development; start by learning to write software in C/C++/ASM, if you already know how to do that, great! now you can start reading the XDK... just like everyone else that is in the 360 Homebrew Scene has been doing, the XDK explains to you how to do various things specifically for Xbox 360...

Yes, thats why i like Aurora more than FSD. There was a change for good. Its really community driven. Why should it be? Because it is something you release to the public. Even if you dont want to, you will get feedback or criticism. This won't be the only one thread in future about this topic. Maybe the decision should be clearified as one fact of your "vision".

And yes both ways have benefits and disadvantages ;)

We appreciate feedback, and criticism is also good, as long as it's constructive... saying things like "Aurora sucks monkey ballz!" helps nobody... saying things like "That feature you've got there doesn't work properly, can you change it to so it works like this instead?" helps... as long as the criticism isn't all hate, it's all good, we want that aswell, but, there are limits...

Yeah but sadly, that's the thing a developer have to deal with it always. Its not only in software developlment, its always there in life.

To deal with it in any case, that's the skill we should aim for. Humankind is always aiming for perfection. Always do better. Trying to motivate tho. ;)