RealModScene
pelago

Keeping retail NAND safe while using DemoN dual NAND

Hi. I have just had my console modded with CR4 XL and a DemoN. I have a clean retail NAND which I'd like to use on Xbox Live, and a glitched NAND for homebrew etc. I want to have Internet access on the glitched NAND, for downloading title updates from Unity etc., but I won't ever intentionally try to take the glitched NAND on Live, as I'm not interested in stealth services or modded lobbies etc.

I'm researching how to keep the retail NAND Live-safe. My console will be used by multiple people, some of which won't be clued up to all the reasons for keeping the glitched NAND off Live.

I understand that there are multiple things that I can and should do. I will list them below and although it might look like a tutorial, I don't consider it to have that status, and I invite comment from anyone to say whether or not I'm on the right lines. Imagine every paragraph starts "Am I right in saying..." There are also some questions specifically asked below:

1, Separate profiles

The least one should do is to have separate profiles for retail and glitched, as some homebrew apps may create achievements which you shouldn't have in retail, or make other changes to your profile which shouldn't be seen in retail. Of course, non-clued up people may choose the wrong profile, or use one from a USB stick from their own console or something, so this is not sufficient on its own.

2, Separate storage

Even better, have completely separate storage for retail and glitched, removing the "wrong" storage when changing modes. This should greatly reduce the risk of picking the wrong profile, and also eliminates the possibility of Microsoft spotting files and folders on the storage that shouldn't be there, like homebrew. This doesn't stop all the risk of USB memory units shared between both NANDs.

3, Enhancements to separate storage

If you flash your glitched NAND with the nosshdd (No Security Sector HDD) XeBuild option, your glitched NAND won't read official Microsoft HDDs. Use an unofficial HDD instead while using the glitched NAND. This means that, if you forget to change storage and leave your Microsoft HDD inside while in glitched NAND, the glitched NAND won't be able to read it and so won't accidentally make changes to it. Similarly, if you forget to remove the unofficial HDD while in retail NAND, the retail NAND won't be able to read it and report anomolies to Microsoft. Again, this doesn't stop risks from USB memory units.

Question about this: Does Microsoft flag you for having an unofficial HDD installed while in retail?

Bonus points for using relays to change storage automatically based on current mode.

4, Liveblock

The glitched NAND should have liveblock enabled in dashlaunch. This should stop the glitched NAND from contacting Live servers, although it doesn't always work 100%.

Question about this: Am I right in saying this doesn't always work 100%? Does anyone know why it sometimes doesn't work?

5, Family settings

Use family settings in the glitched NAND to stop connections to Live.

6, Separate KVs (keyvaults)

This is the biggy, and should be the last defence against getting your retail NAND Live-banned if any of the above things fail. You should have a different KV in glitched and retail NAND, the KV storing things such as a console ID and serial number. Ideally, the KV in the glitched NAND should be someone's KV that has already been Live-banned. This way, if for some reason your glitched NAND ever gets on Live, only the glitched NAND KV will be banned (or be banned already), your retail NAND should still be fine.

Questions about this: Is it better to just edit the KV manually, i.e. changing the console ID and serial number to something random, or specifically using a real KV from an already banned NAND (after changing the DVD key back to match your one)?

Is it really sufficient to change the KV, or can Microsoft pick up other things that make them know that the two NANDs are from the same console and ban the retail NAND anyway? The obvious things to me that don't change if you change KVs are the CPU key, DVD key, and also things in SMC such as the MAC address or reset code. Clearly one cannot change the CPU key, and it may the case that retail code that Microsoft can run cannot determine the CPU key anyway. One also cannot change the DVD key, unless you want to go into the trouble of having different DVD drives between the two NANDs. You could have a different MAC address in the glitched NAND, editing it in J-Runner or XeBuild GUI. The reset code also may be editable - does anyone know?

Is this a risk and should one change those things that one can, and is there anything else in the NAND one should change to keep safe?

What about Wi-Fi SSIDs? Two NANDs connecting to the same Wi-Fi SSID in itself doesn't mean it's the same console (as it could be two consoles in the same household), but it may be additional evidence for Microsoft.

Do Microsoft ever do IP address bans? I have a fixed WAN IP so this might be a worry, as even if they don't ban the console itself, an IP ban would be just as effective.

Thanks in advance for anyone's input.

• Like 1

So far, the only bans they've made are profile bans and console bans, they haven't banned any specific IP afaik... well, they probably blacklisted server IP's and such... but, they've not banned any home IP's afaik

• Like 1

Thanks. That's good to know. What about the rest of it? Am I thinking on the right lines? Does Microsoft flag you for having an unofficial HDD installed while in retail? Is it better to edit a KV manually or use a pre-banned one? Is it a good idea to change MAC address in SMC in glitched? Anything else I should do?

Get one that's already banned, that's easier then messing up your own keyvault to keep you safe...

I'm not able to focus enough to read your entire thread, there's alot in it... i'll try to do so in the next couple of days, but it's not easy when i've been repairing iPhones for 8 hours :p

• Like 1

I have signed into xbox live with an unofficial hdd, and never got banned, or flagged. The console just doesnt detect it. You might as well turn it on with out a hdd. as for the profile thing, your console wont get banned, just your profile. as for console bans, I do all three, I flash a banned KV, disable live in family settings, and turn on live block. as for live block not working 100% of the time, If I remember correctly, this bug stems from using fake live. Some arcade games/indie games require a live connection to start the game, even if you arent playing on live.

• Like 1

as for live block not working 100% of the time, If I remember correctly, this bug stems from using fake live. Some arcade games/indie games require a live connection to start the game, even if you arent playing on live.

Actually, it's when the console already knows the IP's (after having been online recently)

The way liveblock works is that it redirects the DNS requests to 127.0.0.1 instead of the actual IP, which means the connection fails...

• Like 1

Thanks for all replies.

Interesting about how liveblock works, and how it might fail if the console has cached the DNS lookup already. Although I would have thought that switching NANDs (which requires a reboot) would have cleared any such cache, so I'm still not entirely clear why it should fail.

Maybe a good extra protection would be to use your Internet router to block the relevant DNS addresses, rather than (or in addition to) liveblock in dashlaunch. If you gave your console different manual IP addresses in the different NANDs, you could set your router to only block the Xbox Live servers on the IP the console has while in the glitched NAND. Would that be more effective, or would it still suffer from the problem where the console somehow has already resolved the IP address?

Any thoughts about how important it is to have a different MAC address, reset code, or DVD keys in the two NANDs?

Different MAC address is very useful, the reset code doesn't matter, the dvdkey doesn't matter either...

• Like 1

Thanks. In that case I will do:

• Completely separate storage (including profile storage) between the two NANDs
  • Pre-banned KV in glitched NAND (taken from http://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/topic/3202-jtagrgh-how-to-build-a-new-nand-when-you-lost-everything/)
  • noSShdd patch in glitched NAND
  • liveblock in dashlaunch
  • Different MAC address in glitched NAND
  • (Maybe an equivalent to liveblock on router, just for the IP or MAC associated with the glitched NAND)
  • Family settings to block Live in glitched NAND (not sure if that will stop Live Arcade and Indie games from starting up, does anyone know?)

Family settings to block Live in glitched NAND (not sure if that will stop Live Arcade and Indie games from starting up, does anyone know?)

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work if you just blocked live with family settings, that's meant for your kids not being able to play on Xbox Live... it can still connect to the servers (if able to when it needs it)

• Like 1