RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
StaticPulse

Stupid problem with LG DL10N

So I'm working on this Slim Trinity that has an LG drive in it and it won't read discs and makes a horrible clicking noise.

Before I replaced the laser it gave the allmighty disc unreadable error, after the laser replacement  HOP-15xx it gives me the same error and same clicking noise. I open it up and see the laser colliding with the spindle motor. I realigned the laser to the outer rim of the disc and try again and it moves all the way to the front and begins smashing itself against the spindle again.....

Am I missing something here? Any ideas what would be causing the wormscrew motor to do that with the laser? Motor looks brand new, matter of fact the whole unit looks new, and the dvd key matches the one on the NAND dump so right now outside of transfering the board to an old DL10N shell and rebuilding it I'm out of ideas.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 2

How did you read the DVDKey from that slim hitachi drive?

Basically, the problem is with the Laser motor, it's worn out... it doesn't matter that it looks "new"

How did you read the DVDKey from that slim hitachi drive?

Basically, the problem is with the Laser motor, it's worn out... it doesn't matter that it looks "new"

ok, I read the key from the NAND, my mistake, I didn't read the drive with my usbpro2. I assumed its the original board since the drive still had its seal on the drive. I'll swap the motor and cross my fingers

I've had the exact same issue you have many times, everytime it's helped to just replace the motor, but i might have been lucky? :)

I've had the exact same issue you have many times, everytime it's helped to just replace the motor, but i might have been lucky? :)

Not so lucky here, its doing the same thing with the replacement wormscrew motor from another DL10N drive. it doesn't look like its hitting the switch thats mounted on the bracket that holds the spindle motor so I changed out the spindle motor and the problem is still occurring. I'm going to see if I can hunt down another plastic bracket ( thing that screws to the laser  and acts as a guide for the wormscrew motor.

Solved it! It was that little black SPST switch on the side with the wormscrew motor next to the spindle motor. I held the switch in with a plastic coffee wand and it stopped rattling. I'm guessing its a switch thats design to tell when the laser is  at its furthest distance which causes it to retract the laser to the outside of the disc. I'm going to put a drop of super glue on the side of this plastic guide that screws into the laser to extend it a few millimeters and it will know when to retract the laser causing it to move like normal.

The next tool I shall use to fix this is a hammer and a belt sander :thumbsup::sorcerer::thumbsup:

Unless you've recently calibrated your hammer, you may get the ID10T error after applying.

• Like 1

Solved it! It was that little black SPST switch on the side with the wormscrew motor next to the spindle motor. I held the switch in with a plastic coffee wand and it stopped rattling. I'm guessing its a switch thats design to tell when the laser is  at its furthest distance which causes it to retract the laser to the outside of the disc. I'm going to put a drop of super glue on the side of this plastic guide that screws into the laser to extend it a few millimeters and it will know when to retract the laser causing it to move like normal.

Would you mind making a picture showing what exactly you meant?

Would you mind making a picture showing what exactly you meant?

I was just kidding man, I wasn't able to fix the problem as upon close inspection of that white piece of plastic that screws into the laser housing has stripped teeth that guide it. I hadn't even thought to look at it until about 2 hours ago and I noticed that the teeth that are guided by the threading on the wormscrew motor are mangled. don't have access at this moment in time to a camera but I'll try to get some pics of it up tomorrow. It has a part # HZ2-4 on it. For awhile there I did think it was the switch that is next to the spindle motor on HL-DL10N drives which is what I was talking about in the picture.

UPDATE

Got some pics taken of the problem. sorry for the delay

post-56760-0-75739300-1433545811_thumb.jpgpost-56760-0-77408600-1433545813_thumb.jpgpost-56760-0-42140500-1433545815_thumb.jpgpost-56760-0-61909700-1433545816_thumb.jpg post-56760-0-84243000-1433546708_thumb.jpg

Here's a video of whats happening

###UPDATE###

I just wound up buying a replacement drive since I cannot locate plastic laser arm replacements for the DL10N model line.. =\ Sucks to be me but at least it will be fixed and I can close out this console and put it up for sale.

post-56760-0-49473500-1433494296_thumb.jpg