RealModScene
t4z84

is my hard drive dying?

Hi,

The other week I noticed that it takes a while for my xbox 360 to load up.  It is running freestyle dash 3...

From when I turn on the on button, it takes about 10 seconds for the xbox 360 logo to display on the screen with the initial booting up sound, then another 15 seconds for the second booting up sound to occur and for the freestyle dash 3 logo to appear on the screen.

From memory, it was never that slow for the second booting up sound to occur and for freestyle dash to appear.. Is that normal?  Or is my Xbox's hard drive dying please?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

The only way to truly say your hdd is dying or not is to connect it to your computer and checking the S.M.A.R.T status of it

I'm new to this.. is that an easy thing to do?  Don't you need special things in order to connect it to a computer?

What else could be causing this to happen too please? Thanks.

I'm new to this.. is that an easy thing to do?  Don't you need special things in order to connect it to a computer?

What else could be causing this to happen too please? Thanks.

It depends on if it's a slim or phat...

Slim = standard SATA interface, same as your internal hdd's

Phat = Custom connector, but you can take it apart and plug the hdd directly to your computer as it's a standard HDD inside

Other causes for slowness is that the drive is getting full, just like with your computer...

It is a phat one... :(  

It isn't that full.. only has a few games on it.  I don't use it much.. it is slow when first turning it on and booting up.  What do you think please?

It is a phat one... :(  

It isn't that full.. only has a few games on it.  I don't use it much.. it is slow when first turning it on and booting up.  What do you think please?

It's hard to say without having your console here, but... maybe it is worn if you're using a default console, just replace the hdd and be happy with it... it's not hard to take the case apart, it's 4 T6 screws and 4 T10 ( T6 is the outside ones ) which hold the case together, be careful with the button tho as it has a spring on the inside which will fly away if you're not careful... (hold the button down when you bend the top of the case off starting at the back of it (opposite side of the button)) then you can just remove the 4 T10 screws holding the hdd, voila, you can now remove it...

It's really easy to do this stuff... one of the screws is hidden underneath a Microsoft sticker if it's a retail hdd, all the other 3 easy to see...

I bought it off a modder who rghed it etc..

Default as in original hdd?

Is it a 2.5 inch hdd in the phat?  sata?  what sort of connection is it please?

I bought it off a modder who rghed it etc..

Default as in original hdd?

Is it a 2.5 inch hdd in the phat?  sata?  what sort of connection is it please?

Yes, both Slim and Phat are 2.5" 5400rpm SATA2 HDD's

and yes, default as in original, retail hdd...

You might want to go back to the modder and have him check the hdd for you, to verify that it is indeed the hdd that is the problem, maybe you have warranty on it? (depending on if it's a company or just the guy you might have warranty and such to have it replaced at no additional costs)

he will probably try and pull wool over my eyes and not replace it and try and charge me if it is faulty.. or say I broke it :(  That is why I need back up and knowledge :(

plus it says on the paper.. only fix it free of charge within 2 weeks of the initial mod if the fault is found to be related to the mod :S

plus it says on the paper.. only fix it free of charge within 2 weeks of the initial mod if the fault is found to be related to the mod :S

I see, that sucks! :(

Well, you can backup everything in Content\ on HDD1, this will be your profiles, gamesaves etc. etc. just make sure you logout of any profile before doing so as otherwise that profile won't be copied (just the gamesaves)

besides the hard drive.. what are other possibilities too please?  I'm just hesitant to start pulling it apart myself :(  Shame no one from this forum here is from Victoria, Australia haha.

besides the hard drive.. what are other possibilities too please?  I'm just hesitant to start pulling it apart myself :(  Shame no one from this forum here is from Victoria, Australia haha.

Well, the first 10 seconds is normal, the second 15 might not be, i've never actually timed mine...

But, the second time might be caused by usb devices aswell, if you have any of those connected, disconnect 'em and see if it's still slow, if not... obviously that USB device is slow with it's response...

Yeah.. I did disconnect it.. that was when I timed it and got those readings.. so if it isn't the usb..?

Yeah.. I did disconnect it.. that was when I timed it and got those readings.. so if it isn't the usb..?

If it isn't USB, it's likely the hdd...

Basically tho, it could also be that your FSD is taking alot of time before doing anything, what happens if you let it start normally, and then restart into FSD, do you have a black screen for 15 seconds?

Sorry.. dumb dumb here.. how do you get it to start normally without automatically getting it to boot into fsd? :p plz

You can set it to default dashboard with dashlaunch or unload dashlaunch itself.

Do you have mechanical issues on your hdd?

Sorry.. dumb dumb here.. how do you get it to start normally without automatically getting it to boot into fsd? :p plz

I meant, make it boot into FSD, exit to dash, then press the Guide Button and Y, this will make Dashlaunch relaunch FSD, you should time it from the time you accept until it's loaded FSD, and compare that against what you have when you first boot your console...

how do i know if it has mechanical issues as you say, saywaking please?

Does your HDD seem very noisy?

Maybe, make sure you don't have alot of noise around you when you make the video, or that'll cause disturbances with us hearing whatever sounds the hdd is making...

http://1drv.ms/1EP7NqJ  Here is a video of it all happening.. no usb drive attached.  Hopefully you can hear it well. :S  Thanks.

That is normal behaviour... i don't see anything odd with that...

• Like 1