RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
jeffmangum

Could the security and wifi configuration affect System Link/Unity?

Its been months ive been failing the port test for system link. Before i had no problem with it and it just suddenly failed. 

Im one by one picking the cause of it. From the ip address, the ports, etc. 

Ive tried everything. Im thinking maybe its my wifi settings. Cause it was reset before it was working fine. I think i changed the security settings. The SSID index, etc. 

Do you think it affects the link test? 

8iWWI9k.png

Also, i can join a room when i go to black ops 2

I can even see my name on the unity site:

P0i1Gix.png

Wifi security doesn't have any effects on LiNK, what it does have an effect on is whether or not your console can connect...

• Like 1

Wifi security doesn't have any effects on LiNK, what it does have an effect on is whether or not your console can connect...

Can connect to what? To the wifi network?

Well i can confirm its connected cause i can access the ip of the xbox via windows explorer and FTP files and see the files on the console. And my JQEprofile is passed on the test. So theres internet connection.

The forwarding part on the other hand...

what about the wifi settings in terms of the channel, wireless mode.. etc.? (like in the pic above)

also, i can see my name when i join a room on blops2

Can connect to what? To the wifi network?

Well i can confirm its connected cause i can access the ip of the xbox via windows explorer and FTP files and see the files on the console. And my JQEprofile is passed on the test. So theres internet connection.

The forwarding part on the other hand...

what about the wifi settings in terms of the channel, wireless mode.. etc.? (like in the pic above)

Yes, connect to the wifi network...

None of those settings make any difference for the ports, what those settings change is how well the network will work, you should put your router in a channel that's as far away from others as possible to avoid collisions between the networks as that'll cause performance issues etc. etc. for mode, that's just what devices can connect, if you set it to N only, then it won't support B and G devices... N devices will support B + G aswell if you set it to only use those...

i'm not 100% sure what MCS is, but i doubt it'll make any difference either...

• Like 1

Yes, connect to the wifi network...

None of those settings make any difference for the ports, what those settings change is how well the network will work, you should put your router in a channel that's as far away from others as possible to avoid collisions between the networks as that'll cause performance issues etc. etc. for mode, that's just what devices can connect, if you set it to N only, then it won't support B and G devices... N devices will support B + G aswell if you set it to only use those...

i'm not 100% sure what MCS is, but i doubt it'll make any difference either...

Hmm so my wifi settings are all good? Is the channel 11 ok? Or should i go with the maximum which is 13?

Anyway, if yo usee my screenshot above, i can see my username on the rooms on Unity when i run BLOPS2 and join on system link. So there IS an internet connection.

Try using UPNP if your router supports it. This will handle the ports for you, but the test will still say they failed.

I think my router doesnt support upnp but that was fine before even if theres no upnp.

Try using UPNP if your router supports it. This will handle the ports for you, but the test will still say they failed.

Get your facts straight will you?

UPNP MIGHT still say they failed... it won't always...

What do you mean?

When you have a UPNP enabled router, and enable UPNP in the settings, the ports might say they failed but still work, or they might say they passed...

When you have a UPNP enabled router, and enable UPNP in the settings, the ports might say they failed but still work, or they might say they passed...

Well theres no upnp option on my router page. But its normal on the test page thats it says "upnp not found" but all ports are passed and i can play.

Get your facts straight will you?

UPNP MIGHT still say they failed... it won't always...

I have never used the upnp method and have it say the ports have passed, inf FSD, or in Aurora. It has always said it failed, and then worked. So, based upon the odds of my experience, it always fails the port test, but still works. Now, I am not saying you are wrong, but I havnt experienced this.

Anyway, i tried port trigerring. still failed. 

only factor left is... 

what if its the FSD's problem? and my dash isnt even updated. But idk i hope its not it.

I have never used the upnp method and have it say the ports have passed, inf FSD, or in Aurora. It has always said it failed, and then worked. So, based upon the odds of my experience, it always fails the port test, but still works. Now, I am not saying you are wrong, but I havnt experienced this.

If you use OpenWRT it'll say they passed for sure (it does for me) but, those are for advanced users and you have to actively install the UPNP package yourself, it doesn't fit on all model of routers (some routers just don't have enough space on the firmware storage device)

Most standard Routers really sucks... they don't always follow the standards and whatnot...

Anyway, i tried port trigerring. still failed. 

only factor left is... 

what if its the FSD's problem? and my dash isnt even updated. But idk i hope its not it.

It shouldn't matter what kernel you're running, however it matters what FSD version you're running... you need to have r775 in order to use LiNK

If you use OpenWRT it'll say they passed for sure (it does for me) but, those are for advanced users and you have to actively install the UPNP package yourself, it doesn't fit on all model of routers (some routers just don't have enough space on the firmware storage device)

Most standard Routers really sucks... they don't always follow the standards and whatnot...

It shouldn't matter what kernel you're running, however it matters what FSD version you're running... you need to have r775 in order to use LiNK

Hmm my fsd i think is on the latest cause i dont receive an update alert. The kernel isnt updated and im glad its no affected.

Hmm my fsd i think is on the latest cause i dont receive an update alert. The kernel isnt updated and im glad its no affected.

Go to the about screen, it's where you find settings, furthest to the right... you'll see version there...

updates aren't working anymore...

Go to the about screen, it's where you find settings, furthest to the right... you'll see version there...

updates aren't working anymore...

Ok I will check the version tomorrow. But if its not on the latest.. do you think that could be the reason? Cause im 100% blaming it now on my router.

Edit: im on 775 http://m.imgur.com/efxdFRq

Could you please try to test it all with aurora included with its plugins?

Just use standart ports for the first time

Im using FSD. Are you telling me to switch to Aurora? Do u think its worth doing?

What do you mean standard ports? I just cycle between 1000-4000 cause it doesnt matter what ports are used right?

Ok I will check the version tomorrow. But if its not on the latest.. do you think that could be the reason? Cause im 100% blaming it now on my router.

Im using FSD. Are you telling me to switch to Aurora? Do u think its worth doing? 

What do you mean standard ports? I just cycle between 1000-4000 cause it doesnt matter what ports are used right?

Yes, if you're not using 775 it's down to FSD most likely (could be an issue with your router also, but...)

It doesn't matter alot, but... the ports must NOT be used by something else...

Yes, if you're not using 775 it's down to FSD most likely (could be an issue with your router also, but...)

It doesn't matter alot, but... the ports must NOT be used by something else...

Well turns our im on 775.. 

i use 1000-4000. I dont use the common ports like 80.

So... i think it comes down to the router this time.

Thats why i tell you to install aurora with its independent plugin files. Maybe your fsd has a bug or plugins not working properly. It is moths ago and you never installed nor tried to refresh fsd/aurora from scratch? Thats just ... You know

Thats why i tell you to install aurora with its independent plugin files. Maybe your fsd has a bug or plugins not working properly. It is moths ago and you never installed nor tried to refresh fsd/aurora from scratch? Thats just ... You know

Hmm.. I could try reinstalling FSD.. but i dont know if its worth it. 

Looks like its worth it for you for real instead of buying new routers and opening several threads. Its worth it buddy give it a try

Looks like its worth it for you for real instead of buying new routers and opening several threads. Its worth it buddy give it a try

Ok ill try it soon. Is the aurora installation easier?

Aurora is installed same way as fsd...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk