RealModScene
mabhz

FSD doesnt show updates automatically

Hi all! I would like to ask for help to all the pros here, please!!

I have modded my Jasper Xbox360 about 2 years ago and never updated anything on it!!

- Kernel Version: 2.0.16197.0

- Dash Version: 3.0 Rev 58

I know FSD should tell me whenever there was a new update, even Beta ones, but it never did and I don't know how to fix it!!

1. how do I make my FSD start showing updates? I already have the settings configured on the menu since day one, to let me know about updates, even Beta. Is there any other setting to perform??

2. can I update my Xbox system to the latest system update or wil it "ruin" my RGH? How should i proceed then?

3. must I update dash launch BEFORE any FSB update? I have no idea what version is it, but it's surely old! Updating it will "ruin" my current configs?

4. In case FSB install is corrupted (thsts why it dowsnt show updates), do I need to re-format my Xbox internal HDD and install everything again??

I'm asking all of these because I think it's about time to update my stuff and because GTA V didn't work. I loaded, but kept loading for over 15 min, changing background photos and no game starting.

I know my questions are pretty basic and newbie, but I really need help. I spent the last couple days reding tutorials and watching videos, but none answered my questions, the "relationship" between updating the system and loosing my RGH hack, and the updates to FSB and DashLaunch.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

1.You need new version of FSD 3 Rev 775 to see new TU.

2.You can update your console to new kernel version and you don't need to worry about "ruin" your RGHYou have tutorials how to do that and how to make a hacked image.

3.It will be good to update  your DL and you not lose your setting in it.Just download new version,put Installer folder on USB flash drive,run default.xex from Xex Menu and you will be promt to update your DL.

4.No you don't need to reformat your hard drive.Just delete your previous FSD folder and copy new version.I hope that you didn't forget how to do this.

BTW.GTA V requires 16203 dash minimum and that's why you can't play the game.

Well after reading your post. Did you RGH your 360 or have it done?

You say your on kernel 16197. That only came out a year ago (well back in Oct 2012). Not 2 years ago.

- Dash Version: 3.0 Rev 58. Thats your FSD version. Your kernel and dash are the same so your dash is 16197.

All FSD is as far as your 360 is concerned is a game. So your FSD version is 3.0 rev58 not your dash.

You mention FSB a few times. I'll take that as typo's (i hope)?

Well you should update your dash to the newest 16537. You will need the newest xebuild, xebuildgui, J-Runner,  AutoGG, or any app that will make a new hacked dash.

YOU WILL NEED A BACKUP OF YOUR NAND. ORIGINAL OR CURRENT. ALSO YOUR CPU KEY.

For FSD you should always do a new install for newer versions.

With a new dash/kernel you need to install the latest Dashlaunch for it to work.

None of this will need a reformat of your HDD.

For GTA V its a 2 disc game. One of them has to be installed on an internal hdd or a USB xbox360 formatted divice to work.

Sorry for being hard on you, but to me it looks like you had your RGH done for you.

You might want to check out the tutorials at xbox360iso. They seem to have more info on stuff like this.

Thank you so very much for taking the time and replying to my questions.

Yes, I have my console RGH done by other technician, but it was VERY expensive, and I would really like to try updating it unless it requires some soldering or opening the console.

You are right, I guess the RGH was done about 1 year ago, or maybe 18 months top.

Well, concerning the FSD and "dash" question, I understand BOTH are dashs: Microsoft Original Dashboard, and the RGH Freestyle Dashboard. Is that wrong? Isnt FSD a dashboard in itself?

Anyway, Im still confused about why my FSD doesnt tells me there are new updates for it. I have seem many videos online showing that a message pops up when you boot the console to FSD telling a new update is available, and then you update easily on that menu section. Mine doesnt do that, even though its configured to alert me whenever an update for FSD is available.

I have a CD with the original NAND and CPU key the tech guy provided me when he did the RGH. I asked for it, because I was told I should get it from the technician. 

If you dont mind, I just would like to ask you the following:

1. I understand I have to update my RGH fimrware and also my console´s dashboard to the latest System Update. Which should I do FIRST? Run the latest system update from Microsoft or apply a new RGH firmware and only then apply the system update??

2. There are MANY tutorials avaliable online, so i was wondering if theres any one you specifically recommend?? It also seems that are a few different tools to generate the new image to be applied to the RGH firmware, and so I would like to know if there is any tool you recommend over the others??

THANKS!

1st thing i would do is make sure you can launch xexmenu form the MS dash. It will make thiing easier later on. if you dont have it google it and get the Live version and transefer it to your hdd Content/0000000.....ect/the CODE9999 folder/00080000/C0DE99990F586558 or whatever that file is named. launch it with FSD make sure it works. Then see if you can also launch it from the MS Dash.

2nd make a backup of your curent nand. Simple 360 NAND Flasher or alike app will work. save a copy of your nand backup to your PC.

3rd follow this tutorial http://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/topic/2205-xebuild-freeboot-nand-update-tutorial/

For FSD i would always do a clean install.

PS can you boot into Xell?

Thanks again for the help!

1. Launched XexMenu succesfully from FSD and Xbox dash.

2. But I did google Nand Flasher, to make a backup of my current Nand, but it seems like I need a piece of hardware to make it work, right? 

Can i backup my current NAND without the piece of equipment I saw on the 360nandflasher.com website and without having to open my console? Cant I use some app on a USB stick to back it up??

3. as soon as I back up my NAND I will follow this tutorial you suggested.

How exactly do I boot into XELL??

THanks!

google "Simple 360 NAND Flasher" its a .xex you can run from your xbox to backup and flash your nand

to boot to xell you should just need to turn on your xbox by pressing the eject button.

Hi all, Thanks for all the help.

I managed to update the RGH to 16537 using J-Runner update mode, after a looooong struggle, but I didn't update the Avatar and kinect files.

I actually got a "file missing" at the end of J-Runner update.

I already tried updating manually with the correct files on a USB stick both with $$systemupdate and $systemupdate. NXE won't even notice it. Booted to NXE using right bumper off course.

Any ideas what can I so now???

Re-apply 16537 with J-Runner update??

My bad! Typo here, not on the "real thing". On the USB memory stick it was $$ystemupdate and $ystemupdate.

Any ideas?

if it's freshly formatted usb stick FAT32 and you have the names in the correct format, then try booting the box maybe with the key in and going straight to stock (metro) dashboard rather than FSD and then if that doesn't work, then boot the machine and then go to stock and then insert the USB key etc. it'll take eventually. 

good stuff. try the beta updates and make sure "enable beta updates" is checked and try and auto update it, if not have a little read of this I go on to talk about a new install etc. as long as you know how to use FTP (not that you have to too but it's so much easier) 

Thanks for the help again, Data!

I read your post and I have another idea:

Can I copy the new FSD775 to the HDD, then switch to Metro/NXE and use XexMenu to rename the "freestyle" default folder to "freestyle_old" and then the new "FSD775" to "freestyle" and them reboot to load the new one?

Can I do this instead of editing the .ini file???

Thanks!!

Suppose you could, your best of using dash launch to edit your .ini file (unless you know what to do) that way once you've configured dash launch it'll then ask you if you want to save it (saving the launch.ini to your HDD) you could just leave that folder the way it is, the old freestyle and just create a new one and call it freestyle1, copy the new FSD over to that and then edit the launch.ini to point to the new one or use dash launch to do it. 

if you get used to using FTP and using dashlaunch it makes things a lot easier for you. ;)

Thank you all VERY MUCH for your instructions and your patience!!

thanks to your help, my console now is fully updated and working!! Have a merry Xmas and a great 2014!!!!