RealModScene
Saiyaku

is there any speed requirement to HOST a syslink game?

hello, recent owner of a corona w/o internal hdd matrix glitched

i'm asking because, while i CAN connect and play games hosted by others, i CANNOT host a game on my own -- specifically, i can create a room and host a game, but nobody can see me (under the same tu, obviously)

since i thought maybe i was too n00bish to set up things correctly, i decided with some friends to meet up and connect to any game hosted on a public room. we ended playing a bit of mw3 - no problems, everyone could see each other. then i tried hosting a map *on the same game, without leaving that public room* and nobody could see me anymore. my friends also tried hosting on their own to no avail

my xbox is completely up to date (necessary, since the kinect won't work without that) and link not only got its ports open, but the entire ip is dmz'ed as well. needless to say, all tests pass with flying colors and -i repeat- i **can** play using link, but i'm unable to host

any hints are appreciated. thanks in advance

It'll probably be your broadband provider.

I made a post not so long ago to say broadband providers have certain ports / and applications on their network blocked, long story short, your blocked from hosting, but you can join ok. 

If your broadband provider tries to say otherwise and that its your router - don't listen to them. You've everything done correctly  :)

Are your friends using the same internet provider as you?

• Like 1

you mean something like when the isp do traffic shaping on torrents? you might be right, and it was something that never crossed my mind  :shock:

i'll try to confirm your suspicions this night. in the meantime, is it safe to try that lil' ol' trick of using ports 21/80/other known ports to broadcast/receive with link?

thank you very much for the insight.  :clover:

yes, similar to that.

you can try and let us know,

You could also try hooking your xbox to your PC using an ethernet, and sign up for a 1 month VPN subscription ($5-6 per month), VPN lets you access everything that your ISP has blocked :)

• Like 1

okay, i refrained to reply to this thread until i tested this thoroughly and had concrete evidence of what i'm going to write

for short: this method works (at least for this particular isp)

preamble: as i previously posted, my xbox is correctly configured, with its default ports not only opened but its very fixed ip dmz'd. i could play other people's games without problems, but if i hosted a game nobody could see me

after the heads up by irishdave (thank you again) i remembered that in the good ol' days when torrents were a novelty and isp's weren't analyzing packets in order to do traffic shaping, they simply blocked whole ranges of ports for just uploading data while leaving them opened for download. i figured this would be the case since this system link service isn't that widespread as to warrant packet analysis.

with a friend -living at the other side of the city but using the same isp- we configured our boxes to use ports 21 (typically used for ftp) and 80 (http). i elected port 21 for broadcast since i supposed that a constant upstream via port 21 wouldn't be suspicious at all. for testing purposes i told my friend to do the reverse and put 21 as data port and 80 for broadcast

pushing the test button under this setup will make everything pass but tcp communications, which will fail. we played a couple rounds in black ops 2 to check things out. all ok

then i tried hosting a game without leaving the room... success! then my friend tried the same, and while we could see connect and see each other, the connection was very unstable and would be lost after not so long. before blaming anything, we tried a different angle

we started a game with no players at all -rainbow six vegas 2- on its empty public room. again, games hosted by my friend were pretty unstable while mine were rock solid (and to the anonymous guy who appeared outta nowhere to join the fun, thank you, seriously). i suspect that if my friend reversed the ports his stability as a host would improve

to summarize, by using port 21 as broadcast and 80 as data port, i've managed to defeat the blockade of my isp. try this tip if you're also having this particular problem, there's absolutely nothing to lose

• Like 2