RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
lightingft

Unformatted HDD

Hey guys, was not sure where to post this so I thought I'd post it here. So today, one of my external HDD's cable kinda broke. I needed to twist the cable in a way for it to work. I wanted to transfer some of my games to my XBOX HDD, and I tried copying it with XeXMenu and Aurora, but it was very slow, at about 500kbps. Same with FTP. So instead, I went to FSD and used samba to get the games over at 10mbps, first transferring the games from external HDD to my PC. After I did that, I unplugged the Ethernet cable and restarted my Xbox. And then my HDD became unformatted... Is my drive dead? My PC recognizes it, but fatxplorer has a data cyclic error with it. Does this mean I need a new HDD now? :(

is it External thats unformatted or the xbox hdd? xbox hdd - plug it onto pc and run chkdsk and see if that gives issues if you can get the bare drive out the caddy and direct connect via sata to mobo for best results. have you tried reconnecting the ethernet cable and restarting samba on the pc and switch 360 on? If its the external drive why not just replace the cable in question as that could be giving a false reading......wee bit more info if you can please

is it External thats unformatted or the xbox hdd? xbox hdd - plug it onto pc and run chkdsk and see if that gives issues if you can get the bare drive out the caddy and direct connect via sata to mobo for best results. have you tried reconnecting the ethernet cable and restarting samba on the pc and switch 360 on? If its the external drive why not just replace the cable in question as that could be giving a false reading......wee bit more info if you can please

Hey, I meant the HDD that is inside the Xbox360. On the external HDD I can just replace the cable, yes, but it's unimportant for me right now, because I can't even boot to Aurora/FSD3. I tried connecting my disk but it doesn't even appear on the PC, and when using an explorer for Xbox 360 HDDs I get an error. HOWEVER, the HDD does show up in my BIOS. As for restarting Samba on PC I tried, but the thing is I disabled Samba before restarting the Xbox, because Aurora does not use Samba and I don't use FSD regularly anymore.

Also, at one point when I was using my Xbox the same happened, but I've restarted the Xbox and it got back to normal for some reason.. Now it doesn't, no matter what I do.

Hey, I meant the HDD that is inside the Xbox360. On the external HDD I can just replace the cable, yes, but it's unimportant for me right now, because I can't even boot to Aurora/FSD3. I tried connecting my disk but it doesn't even appear on the PC, and when using an explorer for Xbox 360 HDDs I get an error. HOWEVER, the HDD does show up in my BIOS. As for restarting Samba on PC I tried, but the thing is I disabled Samba before restarting the Xbox, because Aurora does not use Samba and I don't use FSD regularly anymore.

Also, at one point when I was using my Xbox the same happened, but I've restarted the Xbox and it got back to normal for some reason.. Now it doesn't, no matter what I do.

Well unfortunately your possibly lookin at a new HDD then. If it shows up in device manager, right click my computer desktop icon select manage then disk management and see if the disk can be initialized that way for widows to see as a drive but if all xtaf and fatxplorers are sayin error then outlook does not look good. Unsure as to why 500kbs to 10mbs then defective, strange course of action, you would expect the 500kbps to be cable associated and the 10mbs lan associated and the internal drive seemed to cope with both but sounds like the spindown time may have been affected by the reboot.........

Well unfortunately your possibly lookin at a new HDD then. If it shows up in device manager, right click my computer desktop icon select manage then disk management and see if the disk can be initialized that way for widows to see as a drive but if all xtaf and fatxplorers are sayin error then outlook does not look good. Unsure as to why 500kbs to 10mbs then defective, strange course of action, you would expect the 500kbps to be cable associated and the 10mbs lan associated and the internal drive seemed to cope with both but sounds like the spindown time may have been affected by the reboot.........

It says unallocated in Disk Management. Wouldn't making a volume just erase all data tho? I haven't tried formatting the drive in Xbox360 too in fear of losing data if it's still possible to recover.

No don't allocate or make a volume see if you can find freeware minitool powerdata recovery. It's quite possibly your only option unless someone else jumps on with something new

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Slap me now. Try downloading horizon first

Windows doesn't quite understand the partition table if memory serves me right, been a while since i hooked up a 360 HDD to a PC...

Horizon reads the partition the same as fatx does so if he gets an error loading with that then the HDD needs replaced. Could possibly buy hdd regenerator and see if you can rebuild it.....

• Like 1

I'm considering options right now.. Fatxplorer's developer says to have a way to recover all the data from the HDD, but he does it for a fee though.. I'll try loading it up in Horizon later. I have never used Horizon for loading up an HDD before though so I don't know how it will work out, will have to try.