RealModScene
moey158

ExHDD not detected on xbox 360 star wars edition

hi guys

im having trouble with my xbox detecting my external 2.5 seagate 2tb hdd...i have copied games onto the drive using exiso-gui and coverted format from NTFS to FAT32 and is primary partitioned..,,please help

Make sure it's MBR and not GPT, that should solve the problem unless it's a USB3 disk that doesn't support backwards compatibility for USB2

Make sure it's MBR and not GPT, that should solve the problem unless it's a USB3 disk that doesn't support backwards compatibility for USB2

How do i check that? sorry im abit new to all this 

How do i check that? sorry im abit new to all this

On my windows 8.1 computer open up "Computer Management", select "Disk Management", select the disk in question in the list, right click it and select "Properties", from there you can go to the "Volumes" tab it'll either display "Master Boot Record (MBR)" or "GUID Partition Table (GPT)" after "Partition style:" NOTE: this has to be done in the "Disk #" bit on the left side <-

On my windows 8.1 computer open up "Computer Management", select "Disk Management", select the disk in question in the list, right click it and select "Properties", from there you can go to the "Volumes" tab it'll either display "Master Boot Record (MBR)" or "GUID Partition Table (GPT)" after "Partition style:" NOTE: this has to be done in the "Disk #" bit on the left side <-

perfect thank you...it says its MBR 

if it's MBR, the partition is primary and the filesystem is FAT32 it's most likely down to the disk not being backwards compatible to USB 2.0 or something like that, you could try it in different ports and/or try using one of them cables with 2 USB connects (the extra one gives your disk extra power)

It's also important that there's only 1 partition on the drive, if you have 2 or more, it'll not work (it may find the first partition but no others)

if it's MBR, the partition is primary and the filesystem is FAT32 it's most likely down to the disk not being backwards compatible to USB 2.0 or something like that, you could try it in different ports and/or try using one of them cables with 2 USB connects (the extra one gives your disk extra power)

It's also important that there's only 1 partition on the drive, if you have 2 or more, it'll not work (it may find the first partition but no others)

I'll purchase the cable asap. Thank you for the advice and all the help. Yeps it is one partition  so i guess its what u said it is down to the drive

What else could be the cause then?

It could be related to the disk itself, is it a USB3 drive? if so; it's not guaranteed to be backwards compatbile to USB2 which is required for Xbox 360 to be able to use it

If the drive isn't new i'd plonk it into a usb 2.0 housing like a black cyclone (i use them for testing IDE & SATA drives as they're consistent).Even the seagate usb 3.0 2.5 expansions i have can take more than a minute to be seen by the jasper or falcon,if it all,i've even rebooted while leaving the drive attached,it does eventually show up.

It could be related to the disk itself, is it a USB3 drive? if so; it's not guaranteed to be backwards compatbile to USB2 which is required for Xbox 360 to be able to use it

on the cord it says usb revision 3.0 so yeah.....how do i work around that

If the drive isn't new i'd plonk it into a usb 2.0 housing like a black cyclone (i use them for testing IDE & SATA drives as they're consistent).Even the seagate usb 3.0 2.5 expansions i have can take more than a minute to be seen by the jasper or falcon,if it all,i've even rebooted while leaving the drive attached,it does eventually show up.

will check around for that any other trusty brands i could try if i dont get that?

If the external is larger than the internal switch them

There's no other housings i'd recommend apart from an old one from STLab.I had a look for some black cyclones it appears there are none.However the type of housing is similar to this in link below,it's fully strippable,the difference is black cyclones can take IDE or SATA as i mentioned.....I'm not recommending start spending money on something that may/may not work since the hard drive itself is USB 3.0 interface,supposedly backwards compatible.It would be better to try a friends spare external housing  instead.There's also a thread around here that has external drives that work,the latest seagate 2.5" 2tb expansions work fine as do the early one Model SRD00F Part Number 1D6APB-500

these drives seem to work ok as well,this came from a seagate expansion 2.5 Samsung ST2000LM003 2.5 hdd

http://st-lab.com/productf.asp

• Like 1

If the external is larger than the internal switch them

There's no other housings i'd recommend apart from an old one from STLab.I had a look for some black cyclones it appears there are none.However the type of housing is similar to this in link below,it's fully strippable,the difference is black cyclones can take IDE or SATA as i mentioned.....I'm not recommending start spending money on something that may/may not work since the hard drive itself is USB 3.0 interface,supposedly backwards compatible.It would be better to try a friends spare external housing  instead.There's also a thread around here that has external drives that work,the latest seagate 2.5" 2tb expansions work fine as do the early one Model SRD00F Part Number 1D6APB-500

these drives seem to work ok as well,this came from a seagate expansion 2.5 Samsung ST2000LM003 2.5 hdd

http://st-lab.com/productf.asp

Thank you for the help I'll be sure to give this a try and get back to you