RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
MrKronic

Dead xbox after attempted R-JTAG

Hi again. So recently I've dug up the very first xbox (a Jasper SB) that I tried to install an R-JTAG chip in. It ended in failure, with burnt NAND and POST points, because I had a very crappy soldering iron back then and ntm lackluster skills. However I did manage to extract the NAND images from there and flash Xell into it before the J-R-Programmer couldn't detect the console anymore (my guess is Southbridge issue due to he soldering, but I'm not exactly sure). As such, the console was RROD-ing when I left it to move onto other projects.

In order to read/write to the NAND directly, I installed a DemoN to this board yesterday, but this time the console seems to be as dead as a doornail. There is no power going into the board it seems, as the DemoN qsb doesn't light up (and yes, this time I did install the cable the right way :p ). The pc also doesn't detect it through the qsb.Removing it also doesn't seem to help, because the console doesn't respond to the power button as well the eject button. Is this fixable or should I just sell it for parts? :|

TIA

• Like 1

It's hard to say, you'd need to check for shorts around every spot you've soldered to, also check for "solder spill" meaning, when there was some solder that dripped down from your tip as you were moving it around the board...

• Like 1

It's hard to say, you'd need to check for shorts around every spot you've soldered to, also check for "solder spill" meaning, when there was some solder that dripped down from your tip as you were moving it around the board...

Will it be salvageable with the repairs or is it fubar? Especially with the potentially faulty Southbridge.....

Edit: The only time I touched the board was when I installed the DemoN, so I checked for shorts around those points after removing the Demon and cleaning the board up. There aren't any. And no solder spills too, cuz I clean the tip after each joint. Totally stumped on this.

It's probably fixable, it'll just take a fair bit of work to get it working... checking resistors and alot of other things...

Any key points/resistors you can suggest besides the R2B24 point? Also can you suggest an alt point for the post out 0 point?

Any key points/resistors you can suggest besides the R2B24 point? Also can you suggest an alt point for the post out 0 point?

First up, you need to check standby voltage around the board, if that checks out ok, you'll have to check resistors around the southbridge and nand itself... if they all check out ok i'm currently not sure where to go beyond that...

Regarding post_out_0 i don't really have any alternatives at the top of my head, most likely you'll be soldering to the trace on the top side of the board, they don't exactly go anywhere from the points where we normally solder to... (except into the CPU)