RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
outofwork

Can you clone HDD1?

Is there a utility that can clone the internal hard drive of the XBox 360?  A few years ago I upgraded the drive to a 320 GB drive with the help of the folks here and later was able to copy some of the folders on the drive for backup purposes via my network to my PC but I could not copy all of the folders because I couldn't see all of the from the PC.

Is there a utility available that would allow me to create a clone image of the HDD1 drive for backup purposes so I could do a restore to a new drive if it failed or at least copy every folder on that drive?

Thanks,

outofwork

Is there a utility that can clone the internal hard drive of the XBox 360?  A few years ago I upgraded the drive to a 320 GB drive with the help of the folks here and later was able to copy some of the folders on the drive for backup purposes via my network to my PC but I could not copy all of the folders because I couldn't see all of the from the PC.

Is there a utility available that would allow me to create a clone image of the HDD1 drive for backup purposes so I could do a restore to a new drive if it failed or at least copy every folder on that drive?

Thanks,

outofwork

You can run XEXMenu, Aurora or whatever FTP server you prefer (i'd probably recommend XEXMenu for this)from any USB drive you want... from there you can then FTP out everything from hdd1:\ you can also use any filemanager (for instance the new one in Aurora) locally... the choice is yours... just make sure you sign out of any profile before you start the copy process tho, as you won't get the profile file when it's signed in (the file is locked)

• Like 1

By signing out of the profile I assume that you mean the name I was signed on/logged on to when FSD booted up as part of the automatic logon.  I didn't know that you could actually sign out.

Also, is there any real benefit of a clone image such as Symantec Ghost versus just copying the folders?

Can't I also just map the XBox 360 HDD1 drive to my PC and do it that way as well?  As I recall when I did that a couple of years ago I could not see all the folders on HDD1.  I would hate like hell to have to rebuild HDD1 from scratch given everything that's been put on there over the years.  The way my luck has been going lately HDD1 is also going to fail soon. <BSEG>

Aurora question - can I just execute it using my current level of FSD or does it have to be incorporated into an update?

Thanks,

outofwork

yeah, the "name" is a profile...

Ghosting the disk won't be of much use, especially if you buy a bigger one... the easiest way (and probably best way) is to just extract all the contents, all the files/folders to your computer then putting it back the same way you took it out...

There are tools you can use to do all of this on your computer, but they're not garantueed to be working 100%, they might read everything properly, they might not... the writing bits... that's going to be a much bigger chance for failure... to be on the safe side i'd do it on the console, there you have official code written my microsofts engineers whom got paid for designing and building everything, if something went wrong there... it'd more likely be hardware issues then software issues...

Not sure what you're asking? do you even know what FSD is? it's not the kernel or anything like that, it's an alternative dashbard... a loader of sorts... it doesn't replace microsofts dashboard, it runs ontop of it...

• Like 1

I was into some of the details a few years ago when I started into using FSD after I bought an RGH console but I never really got a detailed understanding of how it all fits together.  

Given all of the really impressive coding work team FSD and others have done over the years I am just a bit surprised there isn't a very easy way to completely back up HDD1 given all that is installed there over an extended period of time by the users like myself.  

I am very conservative when it comes to running backups on my PC and was hoping that it was something that I could also do on the XBox 360.  Believe it or not I was an IBM mainframe systems programmer into operating systems coding for a long time and I always wanted to know exactly how things worked.  I just didn't want to irritate some of the more knowledgeable folks here as a way to learn all the intimate details so I learned just enough to get it all installed without being too much of a PITA.  

If I can install Aurora on an external USB drive and run it as an application then that's obviously very straightforward.

As always thanks for the help,

outofwork

If I can install Aurora on an external USB drive and run it as an application then that's obviously very straightforward.

That's exactly how easy it is :)

Aurora/FSD runs exactly like games would (extracted from iso/disc)