RealModScene
Abbott

FTP/HTTP from outside LAN

I am trying to enable access to HTTP and FTP from outside of my lan. When I am inside my house, using the internal ip works fine, e.g. http://192.168.1.101 or ftp://192.168.1.101. I have forwarded ports 36080 and 36021 to ports 80 and 21 respectively to 192.168.1.101, but can not gain access to the two protocols from my external ip. I have tried switching the external ports to 80 and 21, but that did not work. I tested if the ports were open at ping.eu and the two ports were reported as closed. I do not know of a firewall on the 360 itself and i have the ports forwarded correctly. Is there anything else I would have needed to enable to gain access to HTTP and FTP from the outside?

The socket options are to allow local connections only, it's a security thing... route your external connections through a internal computer or something if you really need it... very few do need to access these remotely...

The socket options are to allow local connections only, it's a security thing... route your external connections through a internal computer or something if you really need it... very few do need to access these remotely...

That makes a lot of sense. I have a server on the same LAN. Do you know of an easy way I can bounce my connection off of it? I can connect to the server with ssh and then to the xbox with ftp but then i would have to manually copy to the server than to the box (or from box to server to outside computer). I would not know how to connect to it with http in a similar fashion to turn it off after I am done accessing it.

That makes a lot of sense. I have a server on the same LAN. Do you know of an easy way I can bounce my connection off of it? I can connect to the server with ssh and then to the xbox with ftp but then i would have to manually copy to the server than to the box (or from box to server to outside computer). I would not know how to connect to it with http in a similar fashion to turn it off after I am done accessing it.

You could use ssh tunneling... google on how ;)

• Like 1

good answer Swizzy bud :)

Setting up a "tunnel" using "putty" or if he has a capable router can create one that way, or he could just stick teamviewer on his server I guess. 

Why would you want to access the console away from home any way?  :huh:

good answer Swizzy bud :)

Setting up a "tunnel" using "putty" or if he has a capable router can create one that way, or he could just stick teamviewer on his server I guess.

Why would you want to access the console away from home any way? :huh:

Teamviewer would only work if it's used to set up a vpn service... any other vpn would probably also work...

I would like to access FTP from outside the network because my 360 USB doubles as a backup hard drive for my computer, so having access to it when I am out and about would be nice. I wanted access to HTTP so I could remote power down the system if I am away.

Tunneling seems like it would work in a scenario where the server isn't an xbox. I can't seem to find any kind of tunneling homebrew and the only other way I could see tunelling working out from the xbox is if I put something between my xbox and router to tunnel connections. PuTTY and Teamviewer don't apply here because I can not run those on the xbox. Someone suggested looking into a tunneled proxy or iptables, but I have no experience with either.

putty is a tool you run on your local computer to connect over ssh...

So, what you are saying is that you are running linux on your xbox 360 and use ssh to that?? i thought you said you were ssh'ing to a server and then using ftp from there...

If you are running linux on the 360, you shouldn't have this problem, otherwise... are you using another 360 to talk to this one? if so; you could use it to tunnel the connection... any ssh server can tunnel a connection... putty is just a tool to do it with from windows...

No I have FSD on my 360 and I am trying to connect to the FTP service that it provides. The server that I can connect to from outside of my network is running linux.

My understanding of the tunnel I would need to set up is to have my xbox tunnel to the linux server and then I can connect directly from the outside to my xbox via the linux server. I wouldn't know how to set up a tunnel on the xbox because it can only run homebrew. PuTTY wouldn't actually set up a tunnel it would just be what I would use to connect to the FTP once it is set up. Or am I thinking about the tunnel incorrectly?

I have a tunnel set up on my router, so it means that where ever i am using putty i can connect to my "home network" and that way where ever i am if the browser is set up correctly and the tunnel running then it's just like being at home in front of all my devices. so away from home, put a local ip address in my browser i can then connect to that device. 

If you can't set a tunnel up on your router then you could set it up on your local machine :) and then get to your devices on the local LAN via the SSL 

.........So your wanting to leave your xbox 360 running as an FTP server for your local lan and also when your away from home? 

Sounds like a complicated way to have an FTP server running, there's loads of free programs for creating an FTP server, or grab your self a decent router with a USB slot and create and FTP server that way, then your home computer doesn't even need to be on or in your case your 360.

I'll see if I can set up a tunnel on my router. What brand of router do you have and/or are you running dd-wrt?

The FTP access from outside isn't meant to be a full blown FTP to be used all the time. I use the linux server for SCP so I don't need another FTP server. I wanted access from the outside for occasions where I need to get something off of my backup drive or my xbox HDD when I am away. My parents are split so it's helpful to be able to ftp saves from xbox to xbox without having to take hardware back and forth.

Thanks for all the help

No I have FSD on my 360 and I am trying to connect to the FTP service that it provides. The server that I can connect to from outside of my network is running linux.

My understanding of the tunnel I would need to set up is to have my xbox tunnel to the linux server and then I can connect directly from the outside to my xbox via the linux server. I wouldn't know how to set up a tunnel on the xbox because it can only run homebrew. PuTTY wouldn't actually set up a tunnel it would just be what I would use to connect to the FTP once it is set up. Or am I thinking about the tunnel incorrectly?

You are thinking of the tunneling the wrong way, your remote computer connects to your server and creates a tunnel between them which in turn causes the server to be the "source" if you want to call it that, meaning... all connections your remote computer does are routed through your server...