RealModScene
tkropp17

Need Help, Cover Flow Crash

I've tried searching but I haven't found any solutions. I have a large XBLA collection and after about 60 seconds of loading the coverart, I get an F3 Crash. I'm on the recent FSD, using the Dream Theme. It is loading off of a Seagate portable HDD. Please help me fix the crash!

Thanks!

try default theme, then reinstalling fsd. In the settings set the default them to be classicnxe. having too many games can cause issues.

make sure hddalive = true as the hdd could be dozing off.

try a smaller collection of games, lets be honest, you wont play them all :p

I am at the moment experimenting with this.

The upper limit I have found with the default skin (reseting everything to default is important when testing this issue) is something around 500 entries per category.

With The Dream Theme v2.5 that, as the TS, is also the skin I really want to use, the upper limit is not as high. I have experimented with several amounts of games per category and have found that a safe limit for my console (Trinity-4GBMU, 2TB internal HDD) is halv part of that.

In my case is the amount of XBLA games I have that is the issue. I have something something like 650 of those.

What I am doing now is making 3 folders: XBLA1, XBLA2 and XBLA3 and filling them up until I reach 250 games on each. I then use these 3 categories to store them: Xbox Live Arcade, Homebrew and Xbox Classics. My Xbox 360 collection is not as big so it sits nicely under its own category, and all the other stuff I put under emulators.

It is maybe not the best way, but until now it is the only way i have found to deal with the crashes. I love The Dream Theme and have done all of this just to use it.

Be sure to set the download art to low quality in settings and to disable auto scan. When I was experimenting i just moved the games to the other directories and deleted the hole F3 database (delete the Data folder under your F3 folder). Like that you can start from scratch every time. i always downloaded the hole art again when I changed the amount of games in a category, until I finally found the balance that didn't crash my box.

I will maybe start to depurate my library and delete games I don't want, when I have time. In an ideal world I would not have to :), but the reality is that we are dealing with stuff that push the console to its limits when we are dealing with big libraries.

I am still experimenting with all this so my values can or cannot work with others.

I have not yet tried default theme classicnxe as suggested by @irishdave. That and hddalive = true sound like 2 good advices, but I want to use The Dream Theme. IMO there is no better skin for F3.