RealModScene
WOOKIEE

Freestyle Dash 3 - Intermittant finding of external 2tb External Hard Drive

Hi All,

Please can some advise on this issue I'm experiencing.  Currently my external 2tb western external drive USB 2.0 is being random on being found when booting up the Xbox 360.  This seems to be random.

System Spec :

2tb Western Digital hard drive USB 2.0 : Formatted Fat 32

Freestyle Dash 3

Is there any current fixes or modifications I can apply to the Launch.ini

All feedback appreciated.

Thanks

WOOKIEE

No

RGH boot times can be vary. Sometimes an RGH can boot in 2 seconds, other times it can be 30 seconds - live with it

As for the launch.ini you can try the hddalive = true value, that will tell the xbox to keep the usb drive active.

If your 2GB is packed with games that are not in GoD format, your xbox is havin to deal with indexing those files (ie. slower performance)

Hi irishdave,

Thanks for the feedback,  I understand the actual boot times can be between 2secs > 30 secs. The issue im experiencing is relating to the external drive being found randomly.  I can boot the xbox 360 in one session find the external drive.  Then on another session it dose not find it when in Freestyle dash 3. 

Thanks again,

WOOKIEE

Make sure your launch.ini has hddalive = true / your hard drive may have gone to sleep (xbox puts usb devices not in use to sleep after 5 mins or so)

Also, make sure you use the usb ports at the back of the console, each usb at the back are dedicated ports. USB on the front are shared amongst other hardware

{if your using a slim console that is}

Hi Irishdave,

Ive set the launch.ini as per the latter settings.  Strange thing is the Hard drive is found but at the top of the screen it dose not show

the USB icon with the size of the drive, but if turned off the drive, the system will ping with a message refreshing mounted drives. 

Is there any other considerations I should take.

Thanks again

WOOKIEE

if you have the hard drive partitioned, like 16gb for xbox 360 storage, then it'll show that size

I don't get what your asking here, if the hard drive is working, your games are loading... whats the problem?

Hi Irishdave, what I mean is the drive dose not show at the top of the freestyle dash, but if the external drive is turned off a message appears refreshing mounted drives. The system seems to think its there but freestyle dash dose not show it.

So I cannot see my games. This seems to be random because if I reset the machine it will sometimes find it.

Thanks

Do you have it plugged through a usb hub? Does it have a power supply for the external hdd or is the hdd just a usb?

Hi,  Its no going through a usb hub, the external drive has external power and is connected to the Xbox with USB directly into the back usb ports on the Xbox

Could be the usb board inside the external hard drive is about to die.. (before you say anything - yes! these are very common)

Does the hard drive work on the pc with no issues what so ever.. does the pc detect it everytime

Hi All, Finally sorted it applied all the comments suggested from you both. And also found some corrupt data on the drive which I have removed.

The drive now boots every time. All sorted :-). Thanks for the input highly appreciated. Thanks WOOKIEE

• Like 1