RealModScene
hansolo77

Help Please!! What happened to my network?

So my system has been running great for over a year.  Nothing major has happened.  I was able to play on LiNK when it first came out, and even got my brother's system up and running.  So I'd like to think I know what I'm doing.  Now all of a sudden nothing seems to be working as far as the network is concerned.  I came home from work today and loaded up my Xbox.  First thing I noticed right away was that it didn't update the weather.  At first, I thought nothing of it and went on to play a game.  Then I exited the game and went back to F3.  Still no updated weather.  So I tried to force update it by going to the Weather tab.  It showed the HTML process running but nothing downloaded.  Strange.  I checked to make sure my API key was still in the settings, and it was.  Then I thought maybe the API wasn't working anymore, so I went to re-register a new key.  I got the new key, typed it in, and it appeared to accept it, however it still doesn't download the information.  Take this to a new level.. I noticed that my time on the Xbox was wrong by about 14 hours.  It said it was 8:30am in 2005, where it's actually 6:00 or so in the afternoon.  I checked the settings once again, and the box IS checked to update the time.  I then thought to check the LiNK settings to see if it still passes everything on it's tests.  It fails all across the board.  VERY STRANGE.  I never changed anything.  The home screen shows it has an IP address.  But if I try to go to the IP address in my web browser it says "Page Cannot Be Displayed".  I can, however, access the Xbox HDD by typing in the UNC path of XBOX360 so clearly there is a connection there.  I then tried to boot into the metro/official dash and check my network settings there.  Nothing has changed, it still shows my static manual connection I created over a year ago.  I tried to run a test to see if it could connect to the PC, and it doesn't list any PC's to try.  The first time, 2 hours ago, it DID list one of my PC's but it failed to connect to it.  I don't know what else to try.  Was there some kind of secret unannounced patch push sent out through F3's servers that might have broken the network?  I thought maybe something in Dashlaunch got screwed up but everything there is fine as well.  Please can somebody help me out here?

OK I think I might have figured it out....  for some reason, one of our Amazon Kindle's were using the same IP address as the Xbox.  I don't now how, seeing as how the Xbox's MAC address is set with a permanent reserve on that IP address.  Some how though, the Kindle grabbed that IP address while the Xbox was off, and when it came back on it was reporting it was still using the correct IP address when in fact it wasn't connected to that address.  The DNS entry for XBOX360 worked because it doesn't need to know what IP address it's at.  I figured all this out by switching my Xbox to automatically obtain an IP address, then I wrote down the IP add it got, compared it to the DHCP list on the router, then released the reserve on the other IP address, revoked the Kindle from using it, then rebooted everything.  I then tried to reset the Xbox to the original specific address, but the internets wouldn't work on it again.  Set it to a different IP address, and now it is.  So some how the ownership of the original IP address is locked up somewhere in router.  I'm off work tomorrow so I'll try to figure out what's going on.  In the meanwhile, I hope just reassigning a new IP address will do all I need.

If anybody has any suggestions or ideas, please feel free to chime in.  Like I said in the first post, I'd like to think I know what I'm doing, and I never changed anything.  It's weird this would have happened considering the reserved IP, but who knows, maybe I really don't know whats going on...