RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
raisbecka

Development Environment Setup for Xbox 360

Hello,

I work full-time as a developer, and I recently bought and modded an Xbox 360; love the homebrew that's available, and I want to contribute by learning how to develop for 360 using the XDK. Specifically, I want to start researching and attempting to port over Mupen64Plus  using this newly released ANGLE middleware layer (https://github.com/google/angle). I know this will be difficult, but I want to give it a shot.

I have a few questions:

1) I have the Xbox SDK software installed on my desktop, and the xbdm.xex setup on my 360... the 360 boots up, and I'm able to add my 360 in the "Neighborhood" application... but when I click "Open" or "Explore" to view files, nothing happens. I also noticed that certain functions on my 360 (or certain XeX files) crash when xbdm loads on boot. Any idea why this is happening?

2) Can someone point to any good resources for Xbox 360 development? I need to know the optimal IDE configuration, what libraries to download, and where I can find documentation for it? Has any official Microsoft documentation leaked? Or is it available online somewhere?

This would be the first time I've ever developed for a game console, however I have reasonable experience developing in Windows, Linux, and various web frameworks.

Thank you in advance!

• Like 1

I'm sure you can technically - you could install TX's Fusion software to the NAND, or RGLoader, and basically create a DIY devkit. Even if you didn't do this, I think you could still technically compile XeX files using the Xbox SDK, and Visual Studio, and then just run them on any RGH system to test them out (although debugging would be a nightmare without being able to see memory, etc.)

Somebody can actually close this thread, as I was able to peice info together across the web myself.