RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
raisbecka

Issues transferring random files via FTP

Hello,

I currently have a V5 Corona running Aurora dashboard, and I have managed to install games from ISO, get homebrew running, etc... however, for whatever reason, I cannot transfer certain files via FTP to my Xbox 360. Here is the behavior I've noticed:

• Transferring many files (irrespective of file size) works fine... however a certain percentage fail.
  • Of the files that fail to transfer, repeated attempts also fail.
  • The same files that fail to transfer also fail to transfer when copying from a USB drive plugged directly into the 360 to the internal 250GB HDD that shipped with the unit.
  • The files that transfer successfully never fail - no matter how many times I retry.

I am using FileZilla, and transfering directly from my desktop PC to the Xbox 360 stock HDD. Anti-Virus and Firewall disabled.

Bascially, right now I'm forced to run all SEGA emulation off of a USB drive, because I can't copy many of the files/ROMS to the internal drive. This behavior strongly indicates to me that there is some sort of file type/naming/encoding restriction with the Xbox 360 file system. Am I correct?

1 hour ago, raisbecka said:

Hello,

I currently have a V5 Corona running Aurora dashboard, and I have managed to install games from ISO, get homebrew running, etc... however, for whatever reason, I cannot transfer certain files via FTP to my Xbox 360. Here is the behavior I've noticed:

• Transferring many files (irrespective of file size) works fine... however a certain percentage fail.
  • Of the files that fail to transfer, repeated attempts also fail.
  • The same files that fail to transfer also fail to transfer when copying from a USB drive plugged directly into the 360 to the internal 250GB HDD that shipped with the unit.
  • The files that transfer successfully never fail - no matter how many times I retry.

I am using FileZilla, and transfering directly from my desktop PC to the Xbox 360 stock HDD. Anti-Virus and Firewall disabled.

Bascially, right now I'm forced to run all SEGA emulation off of a USB drive, because I can't copy many of the files/ROMS to the internal drive. This behavior strongly indicates to me that there is some sort of file type/naming/encoding restriction with the Xbox 360 file system. Am I correct?

Yeah, no special characters such as $

And there is a 42 character limit

Ok, hmm... does the 42 char limit apply to the complete file path? Or just the name? I definitely had some files that had shorter file names than 42 chars.

Actually, I believe it is your RetroArch build that I've had issues transferring to Hdd1 via FTP (thanks for your work, btw); I think it was some of the cheat files that failed on transfer. I'm currently running it from a USB stick, and it's working great.

If I need to mass-truncate filenames, is there a utility that does this auto-magically?

On 1/2/2020 at 7:48 PM, raisbecka said:

Ok, hmm... does the 42 char limit apply to the complete file path? Or just the name? I definitely had some files that had shorter file names than 42 chars.

Actually, I believe it is your RetroArch build that I've had issues transferring to Hdd1 via FTP (thanks for your work, btw); I think it was some of the cheat files that failed on transfer. I'm currently running it from a USB stick, and it's working great.

If I need to mass-truncate filenames, is there a utility that does this auto-magically?

If you are using the cheats provided by me, they are from the retroarch team.. (as I've stated in my release)

I'd check those specifically.. or use the cheat manager by Gavin to create your own cheats.. the database isn't 100%, and there are some invalid code types.. but yeah.

The char limit includes the file type as well.. name+filetype has to be less than 42 chars.. usb doesn't have this limitation.. 

Edit:

There is plenty of tools out there to mass name change files.. Google is your friend 😏

I will piggyback on this thread to ask: Is there any android solution tobtransfer via wifi files to the xbox? FTP type? 

Thx in advance!