RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
NoSoul

Please help me with LINK connecting to room

This is the first day I've ever tried to play LINK on my rgh. I have followed a tutorial and in NOVA I check all the boxes. Then I start the game (Halo Reach on latest TU) and I hit home button. There's a PUBLIC ROOM with 28 people in it and I hit a to join and X to refresh, but I either don't know what to do from here or I'm doing something wrong. I hit the home button to go back to the game, but the only options I have is for local stuff, if I try to go to matchmaking it says you are not connect to Xbox Live, I also tried custom game and it says it's local to this Xbox 360 console and I'm the only person in there. So I have no idea how to join their room, or if it's supposed to happen automatically? I can see my name in the game room but my name is grayed out so maybe something is wrong. 

Any help would be appreciated.

I figured it out I had to select network on the bottom of the screen, but I have another issue. Is it normal for the ip address to change every time you reboot? I rebooted and now Nova Failed Data Port Reachable and broadcast Port Reachable. Do I have to change it every time in my router settings or is there a better way? 

I tried setting a static IP network bridge on the laptop and that doesn't work either (btw I don't have wifi on my 360 and I don't have an adapter to give me wifi, so I have to use an ethernet cord to my laptop) and in my router you can only use 3071 and 3072 range once so instead of being able to put them in my router for all possible IP addresses each time I reboot I have to delete the one I have in there and make a new one, I don't know why they make these things hard for no reason. 

You have to set the static ip on the Xbox itself.. under network settings.. if the settings are set for automatic, then yes your Xbox ip will change every time

I appreciate that but now I have another problem I was playing Halo Reach last night fine, but now when I check Nova I get Unity authentication failed and everything below it fails too,. I tried logging into xboxunity.net and had no problem so I don't know why. 

I figured out it's the static ip not working of course, I never can get them to work. When I assign one on my computer I get no network connection, and it's the same for the Xbox 360. I guess I'll just buy a network adapter when I get the money. 

8 hours ago, NoSoul said:

I appreciate that but now I have another problem I was playing Halo Reach last night fine, but now when I check Nova I get Unity authentication failed and everything below it fails too,. I tried logging into xboxunity.net and had no problem so I don't know why. 

I figured out it's the static ip not working of course, I never can get them to work. When I assign one on my computer I get no network connection, and it's the same for the Xbox 360. I guess I'll just buy a network adapter when I get the money. 

Ok.. it's hard to explain per say..

But you have to pick an address that is setup within the router..

If your router is setup for 192.168.0.1, then you can't use 10.10.0.1 setup for Xbox..

Now, since you're using a laptop to bridge the connections.. that creates a whole mess off other issues.. and still.. wifi on 360 reaaaaallly sucks.. get you an Ethernet cord.. 

Edit:

Check out portforward.com for guides how to do that.. they have like 98% of routers on there as well

Dude thank you, portforwarding.com helped me figure out what was wrong. I was changing the IP, subnet mask etc but leaving DNS automatic. For some reason my laptop didn't like that. So I did ipconig /all and got my DNS servers and entered them on my network bridge. Then I went to network on the 360 and I was putting the same IP as my laptop but it wouldn't accept it but I put a different one and it works. I'm able to leave DNS servers alone on my 360 but not laptop. It seems to be working 100% now I've done multiple reboots on both the laptop and 360 and it's continuing to work, and I don't have to change the IP on my router constantly. So as long as this keeps up I have no need to buy a 360 network adapter. 

If anyone else has this issue this will probably solve it. 

Hay NoSoul, may i ask what tutorial you used to get this running ? I have a NEW RHG console and want to use LiNK.

When i click system link it works but dont seem to do anything other than show me how many players is a room, when i click join nothing happens.

Cant find a reliable tutorial from LiNK point , My Router is the easy part.

46 minutes ago, 1sixty01 said:

Hay NoSoul, may i ask what tutorial you used to get this running ? I have a NEW RHG console and want to use LiNK.

When i click system link it works but dont seem to do anything other than show me how many players is a room, when i click join nothing happens.

Cant find a reliable tutorial from LiNK point , My Router is the easy part.

You join a room in link, then in game you join a match..