RealModScene
tinpanalley

XBOX Original

My original XBOX may have finally died after about 13 years. Unfortunately it is chipped and therefore a massive shame because I had it set up beautifully and was still playing games on it. I think it's a power thing because nothing else has happened to it since I last played it a week ago. I tried three different power cables.

Anyway, my question is, if I were to pick up another one, do you even need modchips any more for these or is there a reliable soft mod that works just as well?

Thanks for any help!

3 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

My original XBOX may have finally died after about 13 years. Unfortunately it is chipped and therefore a massive shame because I had it set up beautifully and was still playing games on it. I think it's a power thing because nothing else has happened to it since I last played it a week ago. I tried three different power cables.

Anyway, my question is, if I were to pick up another one, do you even need modchips any more for these or is there a reliable soft mod that works just as well?

Thanks for any help!

You would need a game, but you can softmod it and whatnot

5 minutes ago, felida said:

You would need a game, but you can softmod it and whatnot

Not sure I understand. What do you mean, "you would need a game"?

But otherwise, modchips are no longer necessary then?

3 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

A defect in the power source. Gives you to fix. Take a technician in the electronics.

6 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

Just google how to softmod OG xbox.. You'll get the info mate lol.. A certain game and a USB stick.. An older USB stick

5 hours ago, Neocazen said:

A defect in the power source. Gives you to fix. Take a technician in the electronics.

Is it something very complicated to do? Does it involve soldering? Because if it's just plugging in a new power supply in the system that's not so bad. Or is it really something a tech should do?

2 hours ago, felida said:

Just google how to softmod OG xbox.. You'll get the info mate lol.. A certain game and a USB stick.. An older USB stick

With softmodding is it true that I'll be limited to specific hard drives for adding more storage?

chipping isnt really needed but does make things abit easyer. With a hard modded xbox you can just install any hdd without the need to lock. 

all xbox versions apart from 1.6 and 1.6b have a flash able tsop. No extra hardware is needed you need to bridge afew points but if you not keen on soldering yourself you could use something like this. here a guide aswell.

Softmod or hardmod remember to null your xboxs eeprom. Youtube Link

You should also checkout rocky5 github. for any downloads or guides.

5 hours ago, ianboy1987 said:

chipping isnt really needed but does make things abit easyer. With a hard modded xbox you can just install any hdd without the need to lock. 

all xbox versions apart from 1.6 and 1.6b have a flash able tsop. No extra hardware is needed you need to bridge afew points but if you not keen on soldering yourself you could use something like this. here a guide aswell.

Softmod or hardmod remember to null your xboxs eeprom. Youtube Link

You should also checkout rocky5 github. for any downloads or guides.

Thanks for the reply. I'm confused though, I thought people were suggesting that the hdd thing wasn't an issue anymore on a softmod? Is that not true?

1 hour ago, tinpanalley said:

Thanks for the reply. I'm confused though, I thought people were suggesting that the hdd thing wasn't an issue anymore on a softmod? Is that not true?

Softmods still need there hdd locking. Nulling your eeprom just changes the key to 32 0s. You can lock/unlock your hdd using atapwd.exe i bleave.

I mainly build my hdd on a tsop/chipped xbox and lock then put into stock xbox. If you have a pc with a ide port you can use xhdm like dr.gonzo said.

56 minutes ago, ianboy1987 said:

Softmods still need there hdd locking. Nulling your eeprom just changes the key to 32 0s. You can lock/unlock your hdd using atapwd.exe i bleave.

I mainly build my hdd on a tsop/chipped xbox and lock then put into stock xbox. If you have a pc with a ide port you can use xhdm like dr.gonzo said.

Ok, I need time to take all this in. It's been a looong time since I thought about original XBOX modding at all. eeprom, locking unlocking the hdd, etc are things I don't remember.

What I have right now is my 13 year old unit that doesn't seem to power up anymore as of two nights ago. I need to first figure out what are my options for repairing that and whether that's something I can do by buying something (internal power logic board or something) that can be replaced internally without soldering. Because I'm certain it's probably just a loose or damaged power jack thing.

Then if physical damage can't be fixed, then I'd be willing to look into buying a new console cheap and soft or hard modding it. Also, there is a perfectly fine working Xecuter chip already in my console I could probably reuse. in another one.

1 minute ago, tinpanalley said:

Ok, I need time to take all this in. It's been a looong time since I thought about original XBOX modding at all. eeprom, locking unlocking the hdd, etc are things I don't remember.

What I have right now is my 13 year old unit that doesn't seem to power up anymore as of two nights ago. I need to first figure out what are my options for repairing that and whether that's something I can do by buying something (internal power logic board or something) that can be replaced internally without soldering. Because I'm certain it's probably just a loose or damaged power jack thing.

Then if physical damage can't be fixed, then I'd be willing to look into buying a new console cheap and soft or hard modding it. Also, there is a perfectly fine working Xecuter chip already in my console I could probably reuse. in another one.

What xecuter chip is it do you know? the xecuter x3 go for a fair amount on ebay. 

Do you know what xbox version it was as probz be best to buy same version and replace the faulty psu.

fill free to pm me if you need anythink.

7 hours ago, ianboy1987 said:

What xecuter chip is it do you know? the xecuter x3 go for a fair amount on ebay. 

Do you know what xbox version it was as probz be best to buy same version and replace the faulty psu.

fill free to pm me if you need anythink.

How do I find out what xbox version it was without turning it on? Is there something I can look for? Because if replacing the psu is a plug and play job, I think that's probably the easiest and best way to proceed as well.

For the chip I'd have to power on the system to read the info on the start page. Unless there's a way to read the name of the chip inside by opening the console.

12 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

How do I find out what xbox version it was without turning it on? Is there something I can look for? Because if replacing the psu is a plug and play job, I think that's probably the easiest and best way to proceed as well.

For the chip I'd have to power on the system to read the info on the start page. Unless there's a way to read the name of the chip inside by opening the console.

Best way would be to open it look at the mobo and check here.

11 hours ago, ianboy1987 said:

Best way would be to open it look at the mobo and check here.

I opened up the XBOX to identify it (definitely a 1.6 - Xcalibur video chip) and it is absolutely filthy inside. I was hoping that a good dusting with my Xpower electric duster would maybe help because to be honest the power supply didn't look in any way to be in bad shape other than extraordinarily dusty. The modchip is a Smart-XX.

Once I dusted everything thoroughly and reassembled, I noticed that it now responds to the power button. Basically as long as I hold down the power button, the fan spins and I hear something gently clicking inside and the LED on the modchip lights up but the system stops doing this when I let go of the power button. The front eject button LED flickers occasionally as well. It seems to do a little better when the AV cable is plugged in, it flickers green and even temporarily stays on while the disk drive loads up but then dies. I don't even necessarily need to hold it for it to keep trying. Any idea what this is about?

So what you're saying is that it would be smart to buy a power supply from another 1.6? What am I looking for to see if it's damaged?

50 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

I opened up the XBOX to identify it (definitely a 1.6 - Xcalibur video chip) and it is absolutely filthy inside. I was hoping that a good dusting with my Xpower electric duster would maybe help because to be honest the power supply didn't look in any way to be in bad shape other than extraordinarily dusty. The modchip is a Smart-XX.

Once I dusted everything thoroughly and reassembled, I noticed that it now responds to the power button. Basically as long as I hold down the power button, the fan spins and I hear something gently clicking inside and the LED on the modchip lights up but the system stops doing this when I let go of the power button. The front eject button LED flickers occasionally as well. It seems to do a little better when the AV cable is plugged in, it flickers green and even temporarily stays on while the disk drive loads up but then dies. I don't even necessarily need to hold it for it to keep trying. Any idea what this is about?

So what you're saying is that it would be smart to buy a power supply from another 1.6? What am I looking for to see if it's damaged?

I would check all caps first look for any leaking or bloted ones. Im not sure if a new power supple would fix the problem. Test that one to check when powered on. 

image-jpg.14421

2 minutes ago, ianboy1987 said:

I would check all caps first look for any leaking or bloted ones. Im not sure if a new power supple would fix the problem. Test that one to check when powered on. 

I'll reach you via private message.