RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
irishdave

A Possible Glitch in F3 (3.0b Rev483) with Fan Control

[ Post Update: This is not an F3 Issue as suspected. If you get this same error and you've altered your fan settings or not, my advice is to check your fan settings via FSD or DashLaunch, check the side of the xbox to see if air is blowing out as well as other troubleshooting steps ]

I changed the speed of my fan on my Xbox 360 s (Trinity) to 70% a few days back, then after powering off the console going back onto F3 and changed it back to Auto. Its quite possible that F3 may have saved a setting somewhere where the fan speed changed be from 70 to 0.

When I powered the xbox on, the fan did not come on, at all. I've no idea what caused this, i deleted F3, reinstalled, no fix, so I just flashed the dashboard again and that fixed it.

Of course, I didnt see the fan didnt come on, so took it off, instaleld new thermal paste then after powering up the console with the case open I noticed the fan didn't spin.

Not sure if this glitch was on F3 or other but if you change your fan speed, keep an eye on the temp.

Posted Image

post-1784-0-46820300-1358696184_thumb.jpg

Check dashlaunch settings too ....

it's easier to manage temp via dashlaunch ....

otherwise your fan might be dead ...

Flash your console with a nand image that last worked correctly. If that doesn't fix it then i would look into a replacement fan

Did you read the text I had above the photo?

Check dashlaunch settings too ....

it's easier to manage temp via dashlaunch ....

otherwise your fan might be dead ...

I thought it might be dashlaunch too, I just reflashed the nand and the fan is fine.

This post is really to give others the heads up if they adjust their fan settings and the F3 team if it was a FSD glitch.

well i gots same problem ,in my case i installed f3 to my usb hdd ,so if i bootup without my hdd whr f3 is installed on the fan spins normal ,only when i reload f3 the fan spin at high speed (70%) again,evan if i connect my usb hdd to my sons xbox 360 his fan awso spins very loud,so wot i did was reinstall on another usb hdd and alls working normal again

I posted in another fan thread, but this has also happened to me. Not to the extent of you Irish, but if i don't mess with the speed in FSD it is fine, but if I mess around with it and then put it on auto, the fan completely stops. I simply perfored a cold boot and it corrected itself. I'm not sure it is entirely your box Irish, I also think it may be a glitch or something, most likely FSD related. Maybe something else. Good heads up post!

I posted in another fan thread, but this has also happened to me. Not to the extent of you Irish, but if i don't mess with the speed in FSD it is fine, but if I mess around with it and then put it on auto, the fan completely stops. I simply perfored a cold boot and it corrected itself. I'm not sure it is entirely your box Irish, I also think it may be a glitch or something, most likely FSD related. Maybe something else. Good heads up post!

F*ck knows what it was mate, issues resolved. Used Xell to flash 15574 dash and it worked. Hasn't stopped since, won't be touching the fan settings...ever :)

Haha. Awesome! Yeah, I'm on my 3rd xbox, first two overheated. Heat kills. I've noted your fix. Glad you figured it out.Sent from my Rooted HTC EVO 4g using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Haha. Awesome! Yeah, I'm on my 3rd xbox, first two overheated. Heat kills. I've noted your fix. Glad you figured it out. Sent from my Rooted HTC EVO 4g using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

I'm on my 6th and 7th (6th live, 7th RGH)

7th is my first RGH console, 6th was to replace the 5th, 5th replaced the 4th, 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, 1st :)

Never had the RRoD just some crap about volition of the ToS :)

• Like 1

I had the same problem with the coolers speed, i changed one time, and then didnt regulate it self.

Now i always set in 70% and if i know i will play some hours i set in 80% =).

Hey M4heshd, i dont think is well for the coolers set always at 100%, you can burn it (the coolers)

What i can say is that F3 does not permanently change your fan speeds at all. We only change it on the fly. So any change made in F3 to Fan speeds is undone when you restart. 

Now that being said i HIGHLY recommend setting temp thresholds to control your fan speed and NOT using F3 to do it.

Making the fans spin faster all the time can cause extra wear and possibly more heat being generated when its not necesary, using temp thresholds will have your xbox running at the temperature you want all the time and the xbox can decide how fast to spin the fans. Honestly the Fan speeds in F3 are a legacy thing from before we could do it with dashlaunch easily.

JQE: what do you mean the fan speed setting from fsd is undone when restart? my settings never reset or anything even after rebooting!..maybe some people dont tweak they're dashlaunch correctly..

and you cannot say that the fan setting from fsd is a legacy from before..i mean, some people  prefere to have these options in fsd, even if you can set it with dashlaunch! For me, the fan setting from fsd always been reliable and a great feature! when i read what you said i'm scared for the fsd's futur and progress! i'm dreaming of an option in the mini-nxe menu, to be able to lower and higher the fan speed(while in game), since fsd now integrated the temp bars in the mini-nxe..but i guess it will never happen since dashlaunch take monopole..yah its great that dashlaunch can take care of it, but its also great that fsd have these option...so its not a legacy at all!.. if there where a newer version of fsd that doesnt have these options, i would never update to it!

I have to say that what i mean is it is undone on COLD BOOT. If you don't load F3 it doesn't change your fan settings. Loading F3 will again change them, but it is a memory change not a nand change.

As for removing it from F3 i am not sure if we will or not, but honestly temp thresholds is a LOT better for your xbox.

I have to say that what i mean is it is undone on COLD BOOT. If you don't load F3 it doesn't change your fan settings. Loading F3 will again change them, but it is a memory change not a nand change.

As for removing it from F3 i am not sure if we will or not, but honestly temp thresholds is a LOT better for your xbox.

yah for sure the temp thresholds is great, i set the dashlaunch's temp threshold in every jtag/Glitch i put my hands in..  but for my own console, i love keeping 100% control of my consol. and its a good way to have a ''backup fan settings'' just in case something wrong happens with Dashlaunch's settings etc..

Until Dashlaunch becomes 100% reliable and easy-to-use for everyone, you should definitly leave those fan settings in FSD. 

What i can say is that F3 does not permanently change your fan speeds at all. We only change it on the fly. So any change made in F3 to Fan speeds is undone when you restart. 

Now that being said i HIGHLY recommend setting temp thresholds to control your fan speed and NOT using F3 to do it.

Making the fans spin faster all the time can cause extra wear and possibly more heat being generated when its not necesary, using temp thresholds will have your xbox running at the temperature you want all the time and the xbox can decide how fast to spin the fans. Honestly the Fan speeds in F3 are a legacy thing from before we could do it with dashlaunch easily.

Thanks for your post, it was just incase it was, I wasn't 100% if it was F3. JPizzle confirmed it :)

I won't be touching the fan setting again, Its cold in Ireland right now, really cold and very windy... if my xbox wants to overheat I'll move it outside.  :)