RealModScene
tinpanalley

Questions about replacing my 360 slim rgh hdd

As time passes, I increasingly come back to the 360 to play games instead of dealing with so many awful games out there today. So I need more than the 120GB on my current rgh console's hdd.

1. What do I use to entirely clone my current hdd (120GB) to a new one?
2. Is this going to in any way affect the rgh on the console?
3. Is there any limit to the size of hdd I can get?
4. It would seem to me an SSD wouldn't make sense in a 360. Is that right?
5. Anything to watch out for like losing saves, etc?

Thank you!

13 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

As time passes, I increasingly come back to the 360 to play games instead of dealing with so many awful games out there today. So I need more than the 120GB on my current rgh console's hdd.

1. What do I use to entirely clone my current hdd (120GB) to a new one?
2. Is this going to in any way affect the rgh on the console?
3. Is there any limit to the size of hdd I can get?
4. It would seem to me an SSD wouldn't make sense in a 360. Is that right?
5. Anything to watch out for like losing saves, etc?

Thank you!

1. You don't want to clone.. You just want to transfer everything.. Or.. You could just use an external hdd..

2. No

3. Same as USB: 2TB limit

4. No difference in ssd vs hdd

5. No.. Saves will transfer easily

1 hour ago, felida said:

1. You don't want to clone.. You just want to transfer everything.. Or.. You could just use an external hdd..

Ok, cool. The problem is, I have Aurora on there right now, saves, lots and lots of music I use in sports games and I wouldn't know how to reinstall Aurora and all the dash stuff.

1 hour ago, felida said:

5. No.. Saves will transfer easily

Right, I guess I could just copy ALL saves to a large USB flash drive (there's a lot there)

3 hours ago, Dr.Gonzo said:

We have a lot of guides ....how to.  ;)

I'll have a look around. I'm just afraid of taking this new hdd and messing up somehow. For example I don't even know what systemlink is. Is there a setup like Aurora that gives me the option for XBOX games even if they're not backwards compatible titles?

Does anyone have any clue if I'm going to be able to copy over all my music that's on the hdd currently that I use in in-game music cues of my sports games?

I read something recently about certain hdds being necessary for the XBOX to recognise certain DLC or updates? What is that about?

22 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

I'll have a look around. I'm just afraid of taking this new hdd and messing up somehow. For example I don't even know what systemlink is. Is there a setup like Aurora that gives me the option for XBOX games even if they're not backwards compatible titles?

Does anyone have any clue if I'm going to be able to copy over all my music that's on the hdd currently that I use in in-game music cues of my sports games?

I read something recently about certain hdds being necessary for the XBOX to recognise certain DLC or updates? What is that about?

As of dash 17349, externals can use dlc/games/and tu's

Ok, well I suppose since there's nothing wrong with the current hdd (yet), I can always get a new larger one, try installing Aurora again on the new one, reinstall my games, copy over my saves and do things without the fear of making any serious damage to any of my files. I don't think there's a solution for the music that isn't me just reimporting the music to the new hdd via the XBOX dash.

Now, can anyone tell me (there is a lot of conflicting views online) if a 7200rpm drive makes a difference over a 5400? Are we talking a matter of 2-3 seconds in access times or more like 40-50 seconds?

18 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

Ok, well I suppose since there's nothing wrong with the current hdd (yet), I can always get a new larger one, try installing Aurora again on the new one, reinstall my games, copy over my saves and do things without the fear of making any serious damage to any of my files. I don't think there's a solution for the music that isn't me just reimporting the music to the new hdd via the XBOX dash.

Now, can anyone tell me (there is a lot of conflicting views online) if a 7200rpm drive makes a difference over a 5400? Are we talking a matter of 2-3 seconds in access times or more like 40-50 seconds?

Maybe 5-6 seconds.. Lol.. The difference is minimal.. There are videos showing the difference of regular and ssd.. Even those differences are drastically minimal.. Its due to the 360 itself

3 hours ago, felida said:

Maybe 5-6 seconds.. Lol.. The difference is minimal.. There are videos showing the difference of regular and ssd.. Even those differences are drastically minimal.. Its due to the 360 itself

Yeah, I've seen the videos, but they don't specifically always show this on a 360. OS has a lot to do with how hdds respond. So, I thought I'd ask.
Ok, cool. Because I can get a TB for very little if I just stick to 5400.

10 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

Yeah, I've seen the videos, but they don't specifically always show this on a 360. OS has a lot to do with how hdds respond. So, I thought I'd ask.
Ok, cool. Because I can get a TB for very little if I just stick to 5400.

Yes.. There are videos showing the differences with the 360.. Haha... But yeah.. 

Just stick with 5400 rpms and you'll be fine

19 hours ago, felida said:

Yes.. There are videos showing the differences with the 360.. Haha... But yeah..  

I don't get it?

5 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

We're not talking about hdd vs ssd. We're talking about 7200rpm vs 5400.

If the difference of 5400 and ssd is roughly 5 seconds.. How much difference you think a 7200 would make??