RealModScene
Turranius

ConnectX questions and issues.

So this is a bit of a stretch considering that ConnectX is an old dev thingy and, I guess, not much is known about it, but I'm hoping someone can give me some insight anyway.

I have an older CentOS release 7.3.1611 machine with Samba version 4.4.4. This was my old ConnectX machine that hosted the games and it works just fine.

The disks were moved so I figured I'd just connect ConnectX to my newer fileserver directly instead. It has Fedora 28 with samba 4.8.3.

I can not get ConnectX to connect to that machine and I have no idea why. Aurora is updated to 0.7b r1622, from 0.6b something, but I doubt that is relevant as the ConnectX.xex is the same very old version.

Previously, when I had problems, it was because of the hostname in smb.conf. On the Xbox360, you have to connect to a hostname using all caps with ConnectX. That is all fine and I've verified the shares just fine from a windows machine. I can browse and discover both machines over the network on a windows 10 machine. Both machines have the nmb.service running so they are discoverable.

Its not a DNS error. I have an A record for both servers and can lookup the name just fine.

I even tried copying smb.conf from the working machine over the other one to see if there was some setting in it that caused it. No go there.

I moved the network cable over from the working to the non working to see if there was something in the switch or cable. No go.

There are no firewalls in the way. Firewalld is even uninstalled on the Fedora machine. SElinux is in permissive mode on both machines.

Its not permissions. Even trying as root does not help.

Finally, I mapped the shares from the Fedora 28 file server over to the old working CentOS machine and was able to get it working that way, but of course, this is a very ugly fix as I was hoping to toss the CentOS machine.

Any way.. anyone have any ideas what I forgot to check? I can not find any difference between the working CentOS machine and Fedora 28, except for the samba version. Aurora logs on the Xbox360 does not show anything specific from ConnectX other than loading the plugin, so that is not much help.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Turranius said:

So this is a bit of a stretch considering that ConnectX is an old dev thingy and, I guess, not much is known about it, but I'm hoping someone can give me some insight anyway.

I have an older CentOS release 7.3.1611 machine with Samba version 4.4.4. This was my old ConnectX machine that hosted the games and it works just fine.

The disks were moved so I figured I'd just connect ConnectX to my newer fileserver directly instead. It has Fedora 28 with samba 4.8.3.

I can not get ConnectX to connect to that machine and I have no idea why. Aurora is updated to 0.7b r1622, from 0.6b something, but I doubt that is relevant as the ConnectX.xex is the same very old version.

Previously, when I had problems, it was because of the hostname in smb.conf. On the Xbox360, you have to connect to a hostname using all caps with ConnectX. That is all fine and I've verified the shares just fine from a windows machine. I can browse and discover both machines over the network on a windows 10 machine. Both machines have the nmb.service running so they are discoverable.

Its not a DNS error. I have an A record for both servers and can lookup the name just fine.

I even tried copying smb.conf from the working machine over the other one to see if there was some setting in it that caused it. No go there.

I moved the network cable over from the working to the non working to see if there was something in the switch or cable. No go.

There are no firewalls in the way. Firewalld is even uninstalled on the Fedora machine. SElinux is in permissive mode on both machines.

Its not permissions. Even trying as root does not help.

Finally, I mapped the shares from the Fedora 28 file server over to the old working CentOS machine and was able to get it working that way, but of course, this is a very ugly fix as I was hoping to toss the CentOS machine.

Any way.. anyone have any ideas what I forgot to check? I can not find any difference between the working CentOS machine and Fedora 28, except for the samba version. Aurora logs on the Xbox360 does not show anything specific from ConnectX other than loading the plugin, so that is not much help.

Thanks!

The problem is in the versions.. Gavin posted about this before I think. the newer one wont work with the older one.. there is more tech speak, but I'm on my phone atm