RealModScene
AntiVirGear

Play PS2 ISO/Classic/... on PS3

A pal gift me his old PS3 Phat (3. / G-Generation) which works but the HDMI is dead (duuhh) but luckily, I own a small PS2-to-HDMI Converter (basically just Y/Pb/Pr to HDMI) and this work damn good, I played almost two days á 15h PS1 Games via webMAN Mod 1.47.08 and Rebug 4.82.2 REX and there were no problems!

So I started figuring out, how to play PS2 ISO whose definitely works on my PS2 Slim, so I just shoveled them into /dev_hdd0/PS2ISO/... (ATM Champions of Norrath, Ratchet & Clank 3 and Sly Racoon the first game) and guess what => Loaded, started, couple seconds of black screen... then "No signal" and again couple seconds of black screen BUT in NTSC-Mode instead of PAL and then nothing ^^ TV complains about "No signal" and PS3 is somehow frozen...

Touching the PowerButton? Nope
Eject Button? Double/Tripple beep (NoDVD inside duuhh...)
Holding PowerButton? A beep and then... shortly a black screen (NTSC) and then again "No Signal"... PS3 still frozen or working, I dunno... fan still spinning...
Again holding PowerButton? See above ...

So the only thing I can do it kill the power and COLD reboot... then, I can see the XMB in PAL and yeah...

I tried to install the PS2 Classic Loader, activated with reActPSN (User aa changed to reActPSN v2.0 <Random Char>) but nothing worked.
Created/Converted PS2 ISO to PS2 Classic (.enc and .pkg) and still nothing...
Original PS2 Disc (DVD and CD) but also nothing...

I tried to make a ISO with multiMAN, checked MD5 via ManaGunz but still nothing...

I (then) installed REBUG 4.82.2 LITE (over 4.82.2 REX), I thought MAYBE installation was faulty but still nothing changed... except I had REBUG in lite ^^

NOW I have REBUG 4.82.2 REX (Cobra active, PS2 Emu in Cobra not original, DEX is active, ToggleQA is active, ...)

So am I missing something or doing something wrong or is it really as I read randomly, that ONLY the 1st and 2nd NTSC Gen were able to play PS2 Games but European Consoles aren't capable except the 2nd Gen one?

Is it eventually worth to mention, that I also can't access the Recovery Menu with the phat PS3?
ALSO worth to mention: After launching a PS2 Game, NEVER EVER received a message, that I have to create a MemoryCard for the PS2 first!
On PS1 Games it appeared immediately after launch but on PS2 Games, nothing...

Is it possible, that I use a "semi-bricked" console or something else?

You really missed the whole part where Sony removed the backwards compat..

It was a hardware thing, not a software thing.. so yeah.. AND, you should check out pcsx2.. VERY good pc emulator.. can upscale the gfx and everything.. 

5 hours ago, felida said:

You really missed the whole part where Sony removed the backwards compat..

It was a hardware thing, not a software thing.. so yeah.. AND, you should check out pcsx2.. VERY good pc emulator.. can upscale the gfx and everything.. 

Ahhh, sad... I thought that the emulator from the 2nd Gen can be "ported" to the other consoles..

PCSX2 doesn't work on my PC ^^ AMD Phenom II X4 945 w/ AMD Radeon HD 6950 so lack of SSE3/4 and HW-Decoder...

3 hours ago, baabox said:

The PS3 does have a fully software based emulator (http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/PS2_Emulation). So you should be able to run at least some PS2 games on your PS3. Anyway, I don't know how to fix your problems as I have no experience with the PS3.

Love how the first line says the 1st 2 gens used hardware.. but afaik, Sony uses a streaming service for their backwards comp.. 

Sure, some games are available via the streaming service. But the software based PS2 classics emulator works on all PS3 models and it's able to play +500 titles.

2 hours ago, baabox said:

At least Ratchet and Clank doesn't work with the emulator: http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/PS2_Classics_Emulator_Compatibility_List The two other games should work ok.

I don't know what to try - you seem to know more about the PS3 than I do. I suggest you post this on a playstation specific site that has more people with PS3 knowledge.

Yeah, I did... PSX-Scene but response is almost equals zero... I feel like being the last PS2/PS1 Gamer/Collector like in Star Wars 7/8 with Luke Skywalker, far far away from the society...