RealModScene
tinpanalley

Music to 360 via FTP?

Surely there is a better way to get music on the 360 for use in sports games than burning discs every time. Is there no way to do this with FTP or even from a USB flash drive?

47 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

Surely there is a better way to get music on the 360 for use in sports games than burning discs every time. Is there no way to do this with FTP or even from a USB flash drive?

Mp3 player? I know ipods are capable of being played while you game.. maybe music files on a thumb drive will work? 

You might can ftp, but they need to be in a special format to be on the hdd.. this is what the 360 does, is converts em from disc..

No this isn't about "listening" to music while I play (which I've never understood to be honest) this is about putting music on the 360 to use in sports games that let you assign stadium music to different moments.

Which means you need the xbox to see it as native music, or music that has been ripped to the xbox. There is a poorly written app that kind of works, but it replaces all of the music, because the author never wrote code to append songs to the DB that the 360 looks at. Which means every time you use it, it erases the music already on the xbox. Here, try X360 Music Organizer. http://www.360-hq.com/download-file-307.html   It has issues, but it will let you add music without burning it to a cd, but it will over write any music you may have on your hdd, when you copy the generated folder over.

I dont think you need it to connect, it should convert it on the pc, and dump it to a folder. Then you take that folder, and copy it to the root of the drive. As I said though, it will ruin the DB for the music that is already on the xbox, so you should back up that folder on the xbox hdd first. If it requires a connection, then you might need to be on FSD. I honestly couldnt tell you anymore, since the last time I played with that app was in like 2013, and it hasnt been updated since 2010.

I don't mind the music on there being ruined, what's there needs replacing anyway, which  is why I'm doing this in the first place.
What I don't get is that if it doesn't need to connect then how are you supposed to get the files onto the 360? You just FTP that folder over?

Also, do you have any idea what FMIM files are? That's not a music container I've ever heard of.

Hey tinpanalley.

What gavin is saying.

Once you have the music.

I assume the music organizer creates the folder you need with the correct naming or whatever.

Use the thumb drive or i guess use ftp.

Place the folder with the music you want into the hard drive.

The root is not a folder it's the hdd.

An example is using file manager in fsd or ftp.

You select hdd & open it.You are now in the root of the hdd & you can see all the other folders & partitions.

Lets pretend the music that you are replacing is a folder called "music" (i have to assume it will be a system folder & may need unhiding in fsd,by selecting the un hide sys files or whatever)

You now drop your folder also named "music" into the hdd & overwrite the old folder & it's contents (Best to backup the old folder regardless if you want it or not it's good practice in case of an issue)

edit: Always backup anything before making changes

1 hour ago, scorpNZ said:

Hey tinpanalley.

What gavin is saying....

Ok, I understand but I still don't get how to take my regular MP3 files and place them in Music Organizer so that it turns them into WMAs. This isn't explained at all in the instructions. It only talks about FMIM music files which I have never heard of. No idea what they're talking about.

Maybe it's just easier if I say what I want to do...

I've got about 300 audio clips that I want in about 5 different playlists for different hockey games. The playlists correspond to different in game cues. I just burned 99 of them to a CD-RW and got them on the console, the problem is they have no names which isn't terrible, but when the next ones are ripped to the 360 they will also be labelled Track 01 to Track 99 and write over the previous ones. I just wish this program would facilitate this. Now, I can put all 300 clips in the Organizer program but how do I get them to be on different playlists?

Edited by tinpanalley

Sorry mate ! that's way out of my expertise,you've literally bitten off more than i can chew hehehe & it seems others have run into issues getting music on the hdd

Can't say as i don't know however i assume fmim is the format the xbox can read so instead of .mp3 or .wmv it reads .fmim extension

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, scorpNZ said:

Sorry mate ! that's way out of my expertise,you've literally bitten off more than i can chew hehehe & it seems others have run into issues getting music on the hdd

Can't say as i don't know however i assume fmim is the format the xbox can read so instead of .mp3 or .wmv it reads .fmim extension

Thanks! I'm gonna try to use the program to convert ALL the song clips. I'm gonna copy them over, then I'm gonna hope I can make playlists of the ones I want when they're all on the 360. No idea if that would work.

Well, I tried. It doesn't work. Placed in the mindex folder in the 360's HDD folder, it still doesn't see the music. That program is really difficult to understand.

33 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

Well, I tried. It doesn't work. Placed in the mindex folder in the 360's HDD folder, it still doesn't see the music. That program is really difficult to understand.

You must delete the original mindex Which you find in HDD Then put mindex Which he creates  X360 Music  Do not forget to rename the album

2 minutes ago, salah.rgh2 said:

You must delete the original mindex Which you find in HDD Then put mindex Which he creates  X360 Music  Do not forget to rename the album

Yeah, I did all that. In fact, the Music Organiser was even able to backup the original mindex for me. But the MS XBOX stock dashboard music player refuses to see songs even the FSD sees the files in the mindex folder. So I can't make playlists for use in the sports games. This is so ridiculous that I have to burn 6 discs to get all the tracks I want on there because even though they're only 30 seconds long, you can't burn a CD with more than 100tracks.

Ok, I tried it again. I converted all the music and made the mindex folder on my PC but then just copied it over via USB using file explorer in FSD. The files are there.

The only problem I have now is : it crashes if I put too many files to convert to a mindex folder. I don't know why. Does anyone know if there's something I can do to minimize the chance of crash? Like, maybe using WMAs already and not letting the program do the conversion?

3 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

Ok, I tried it again. I converted all the music and made the mindex folder on my PC but then just copied it over via USB using file explorer in FSD. The files are there.

The only problem I have now is : it crashes if I put too many files to convert to a mindex folder. I don't know why. Does anyone know if there's something I can do to minimize the chance of crash? Like, maybe using WMAs already and not letting the program do the conversion?

This method is successful with me 100%.....I do not know the Why did not work with you 

32 minutes ago, salah.rgh2 said:

This method is successful with me 100%.....I do not know the Why did not work with you 

How many audio tracks do you do at a time?
Also, I've seen with these kinds of beta applications that sometimes if you run them too many times, you get random crashes. I'll reboot and try again.
Thank you!

1 hour ago, tinpanalley said:

Also, I've seen with these kinds of beta applications that sometimes if you run them too many times, you get random crashes. I'll reboot and try again.
Thank you!

as far as i read.. 100 songs.. lol

13 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

Thank you!

as he told you  felida You can use the song as you like ..lol

12 hours ago, felida said:

as far as i read.. 100 songs.. lol

1 hour ago, salah.rgh2 said:

as he told you  felida You can use the song as you like ..lol

Sorry guys, I'm not understanding what's funny. I'm completely missing the joke.

7 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

Sorry guys, I'm not understanding what's funny. I'm completely missing the joke.

I was googling around.. roughly 100 songs with the app.. this is due to it being an incomplete/outdated app..

As for the other person. dont know why they said that.. or exactly what was trying to be said.

Now.. the limitation in the app COULD be skipped, but you have to manually edit the mindex.ini yourself.. this is what i am guessing the app does, is create a fresh mindex.ini, not append to it.. 

This could easily be written in python or other coding languages, and have it write new songs to an existing .ini.. but i dont currently have an rgh to use to test my theory out.. but also finding, that u can use a simple flashdrive and stream your music that way.. which is what i suggested from the begining.. as you can easily play a song in the hud, and it work in sports games..

16 minutes ago, felida said:

but also finding, that u can use a simple flashdrive and stream your music that way.. which is what i suggested from the begining.. as you can easily play a song in the hud, and it work in sports games..

Ok, so you put all the music files you want on the flash drive and then create playlists from the tracks on the drive and then those playlists will see those songs in-game from the flash drive via the 360 playlists you made?

I was getting to the point that I was just gonna burn one RW disc over and over but none of the songs will have titles and I won't know which song was which to put in which playlist. I'll have one 'Track 01' for each disc burn.

53 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

Ok, so you put all the music files you want on the flash drive and then create playlists from the tracks on the drive and then those playlists will see those songs in-game from the flash drive via the 360 playlists you made?

I was getting to the point that I was just gonna burn one RW disc over and over but none of the songs will have titles and I won't know which song was which to put in which playlist. I'll have one 'Track 01' for each disc burn.

nothing about a playlist.. but i see where you are getting at.. and NO.. lol.. 

way i was saying, is this:

place songs on thumbdrive, put thumbdrive in xbox, press guide button, then go to media controls at the bottom.. play your song.. lol..

Right, well that won't do what I'm asking for.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll  have to figure this out. That's fine if you can do 100, but then what happens when you do another 100. Why can't you do a mindex folder in batches and then just keep adding files to the mindex folder? Does it use the same filenames, is that why? So confusing.

7 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

Right, well that won't do what I'm asking for.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll  have to figure this out. That's fine if you can do 100, but then what happens when you do another 100. Why can't you do a mindex folder in batches and then just keep adding files to the mindex folder? Does it use the same filenames, is that why? So confusing.

Its a limit of the program.. as i said, it is probably coded to write a fresh mindex instead of appending to it.. i have no clue as to how it works, as i dont have an rgh to test mate.. otherwise i would tell you how to manually do it.. you can look at the mindex.ini yourself and figure it out..