RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
baabox

Slim only boots to Xell

I have a problematic Trinity and I hope you could help with it.

As a stock, the console boots directly to a red light after about 3 seconds. The motherboard doesn't give any secondary error codes. The previous owner of the console had opened the console but there were no signs of soldering or anything like that.

I did an RGH installation to see if it would fix the red light. RGH seemed to fix the issue as it boots to Xell without issues. However, I can't get it to boot to Freeboot. Here is what I've tried:

• Create Freeboot with default options
  • Create Freeboot with glitch2m option
  • Create Freeboot from a donor nand (create nand with only cpu-key feature in J-runner)

Nothing has made a difference so far. The console either goes directly to red light or the chip resets the console a few times and then red lights.

Do you have any ideas what could be the issue? I can provide the nanddump, cpu-key and a picture of the Xell fuses if anybody wants.

3 hours ago, baabox said:

I have a problematic Trinity and I hope you could help with it.

As a stock, the console boots directly to a red light after about 3 seconds. The motherboard doesn't give any secondary error codes. The previous owner of the console had opened the console but there were no signs of soldering or anything like that.

I did an RGH installation to see if it would fix the red light. RGH seemed to fix the issue as it boots to Xell without issues. However, I can't get it to boot to Freeboot. Here is what I've tried:

• Create Freeboot with default options
  • Create Freeboot with glitch2m option
  • Create Freeboot from a donor nand (create nand with only cpu-key feature in J-runner)

Nothing has made a difference so far. The console either goes directly to red light or the chip resets the console a few times and then red lights.

Do you have any ideas what could be the issue? I can provide the nanddump, cpu-key and a picture of the Xell fuses if anybody wants.

does it actually red ring or red dot? as the 2 are completely diff.. 

red ring will give secondary code.. if you press sync and eject..

2 hours ago, baabox said:

I didn't realize that. The console gives a red dot.

tbh it sounds like a power supply issue.. is it the right one? and not one for a trinity or corona.. you can tell by reading.. the trinity need 10A while the corona is 9.6A iirc.. read it on the console AND the power supply.. 

BUT yeah could be something else wrong.. not TOO sure.. lol.. but yeah mine red-dotted when power supply was acting up.. 

The light blinks green for a few seconds before red lighting, so I think the power supply works correctly. Also, it works on another console so it is likely not the issue.

Also, as far as I know, Trinity and Corona power supplies are interchangeable. I think Microsoft would have modified the power connector like in the older models if the power supplies were not interchangeable. At least I have never had any issues using a 9.6A power supply on a Trinity.

Red Ring is phat xbox, red dot is slim console. Unless the red dot is on the power supply. Since it boots xell, I doubt that. You can pull the error code from the console the same way as you would with red ring, on a phat console with red dot on a slim console. That being said, I dont trust the error code I get from a RGH console, and would recommend flashing back stock nand first, then get the error code, and check what may cause that code. It could be something stupid like a bad HDD, or if it is a 4gb trinity, a bad 4g module. Could be a hardware failure somewhere also. Xell can boot on some messed up consoles, as it doesnt go through all the hardware checks the retail kernel does on boot. Cant say without seeing the error code. 

22 hours ago, baabox said:

The light blinks green for a few seconds before red lighting, so I think the power supply works correctly. Also, it works on another console so it is likely not the issue.

Also, as far as I know, Trinity and Corona power supplies are interchangeable. I think Microsoft would have modified the power connector like in the older models if the power supplies were not interchangeable. At least I have never had any issues using a 9.6A power supply on a Trinity.

They are not interchangeable. In the damn slightest.. wtf

You need to read up on your electric knowledge.. 

Trinity power supply 135w

Corona power supply 120w

Keep using the wrong one.. lmfao

I have booted trinity consoles using corona power supply's and vice versa. It generally doesnt cause damage, but in the grand scheme, if the voltage is the same, then 10-15W usually doesnt make much of a difference, because there is a thing called tollerance on most parts, and some of the parts, especially in the power stages are rated higher then needed. That is why the general rule when you go to school for IT when it comes to power supplies, is that you can never really go to high, but if you go way to low, then things wont work as expected.

I will check the secondary code again tomorrow.

Xbox power supplies seem to be rated for the worst case scenario, like running a game from DVD with kinect plugged in and with multiple usb devices connected simultaneously. In Anantech's test Trinity consumed 90W at most: https://www.anandtech.com/show/3774/welcome-to-valhalla-inside-the-new-250gb-xbox-360-slim/3

Sorry for the delay. I flashed the original nand and got the secondary error code 1030. At least on fat consoles that code means that something is wrong with the ethernet chip. I will try to change the chip if I come across a dead slim motherboard. I found the same 8041NL ethernet ICs sold on aliexpress and ebay for 10 bucks, but I'm not ready to spend that if I don't know if it fixes the problem.

A nice solution would be a Xebuild patch that removed the ethernet checks. I could live without ethernet support. However, I don't think that exists and I don't have the skills to create a patch myself.

On 2/8/2018 at 8:31 AM, baabox said:

Sorry for the delay. I flashed the original nand and got the secondary error code 1030. At least on fat consoles that code means that something is wrong with the ethernet chip. I will try to change the chip if I come across a dead slim motherboard. I found the same 8041NL ethernet ICs sold on aliexpress and ebay for 10 bucks, but I'm not ready to spend that if I don't know if it fixes the problem.

A nice solution would be a Xebuild patch that removed the ethernet checks. I could live without ethernet support. However, I don't think that exists and I don't have the skills to create a patch myself.

Its called nolan patch.. present in jrunner and xebuild i do believe 

• Thanks 2

Damn, you're right. How did I miss that.

I tried the nolan patch and the console boots like it should. Thank you!