RealModScene
X0_LOJ_0X

How to develop for Xbox360

Ok so I would just like a point in the right direction in terms of what I need to start developing any form of homebrew apps or games... I have been tryna help myself by googling and from what I've gathered im only seeing stuff bout XNA Studio and i think ive seen something about a UDK, which is either a port of unreal engine specifically for developing for xbox or something another... And also ive been seeing that you will also need a devkit or at least a rgh with a devkit nand which i would pretty much like to avoid seeing as i only have 1 rgh console to play games and would not like to flash a dev nand to it....

So if u guys got anything i would like to hear......

And before you ask:

1) yes i do have some programming experience, im no expert but i would say im competent enough by my standards

2) im just exploring and experimenting for my personal gain, not looking to create any homebrew app to rival any other (cuz lets face it, this would be a bad way to start if i hoping to do something like that)

If you want full debugging support, there isnt much to say other than get a devkit, or flash a devkit nand. If your RGH doesnt already have a demon or other dual nand chip, this would be a perfect reason to get one. You could flash RGLoader to the second nand, and switch between Freeboot, and RGLoader. As for the software side of things, that gets a bit trickier, as the XDK is hardish to source(not impossible, but we wont give links, as that is illegal.) Also, other than the documentation that comes in the help files with the XDK, there isnt much to go on out there in the way of help or examples. So, if you are as good of a programmer as you think you are, then you should be alright, but if not, then you are in for a hard road. All of that being said, there are other impediments, such as the non standard hardware you have to work around. PPC64 isnt the easiest CPU to code for, and if you find yourself in a situation where you have to write a function in ASM, for maximum performance, then I dont know of many people that could help you with that.If you feel you have decent experience with the architecture of the CPU, and Microsoft's idea of C++(Visual C++), than by all means go for it. You might also want to study up on DirectX 9.0c API's, and also Direct3D Calls, because without a really good knowelege of those also, you are in for a world of disappointment. Just my 2 cents. 

7 hours ago, gavin_darkglider said:

If you want full debugging support, there isnt much to say other than get a devkit, or flash a devkit nand. If your RGH doesnt already have a demon or other dual nand chip, this would be a perfect reason to get one. You could flash RGLoader to the second nand, and switch between Freeboot, and RGLoader. As for the software side of things, that gets a bit trickier, as the XDK is hardish to source(not impossible, but we wont give links, as that is illegal.) Also, other than the documentation that comes in the help files with the XDK, there isnt much to go on out there in the way of help or examples. So, if you are as good of a programmer as you think you are, then you should be alright, but if not, then you are in for a hard road. All of that being said, there are other impediments, such as the non standard hardware you have to work around. PPC64 isnt the easiest CPU to code for, and if you find yourself in a situation where you have to write a function in ASM, for maximum performance, then I dont know of many people that could help you with that.If you feel you have decent experience with the architecture of the CPU, and Microsoft's idea of C++(Visual C++), than by all means go for it. You might also want to study up on DirectX 9.0c API's, and also Direct3D Calls, because without a really good knowelege of those also, you are in for a world of disappointment. Just my 2 cents. 

thanks man, this is just the type of info i was looking for