RealModScene
3RAD1CAT0R

Aurora and Connectx

Hello,

I am running Aurora 0.6b r1238, and have been for quite some time. I just recently decided to try my hand at setting up ConnectX with it, so I can stream games off my Netgear ReadyNAS. I have followed a few different tutorials, and have tried a few different connectx.xex (probably the same, but downloaded from different locations), yet I am still having trouble getting it to connect. This is in my homelab environment, which happens to be setup as a Windows domain. I have tried setting the server name as the nas' ip, hostname, and fqdn, as well as setting the username to: username, domain\username, and username@domain. Does anyone have any experience getting this to connect using domain credentials? I have verified that I can connect with full control over the share from a Windows computer, have checked smb signing, and have even tried limiting the SMB version to 2.1 and 2 on the server side. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

can you take a screenshot of you settings in aurora connectx?

Also try your NAS on Windows if it works properly.

The standard Windows Domain is WORKGROUP, but your NAS might have set a different one, which is the important one. In the ConnectX Settings,  If there is a Domain(Share Name?) field (cant remember now), you would have to type WORKGROUP (your Domain-Share-Name only). That should work.

The xbox doesnt care about workgroups. From what I have tested, and heard on the forums, samba 3.6.25 is the best bet, with some modifications to the smb conf. I tried with samba 4.x, and couldnt get it to work at all, and samba 2.x doesnt follow the right SMB standard to work. See this thread, and next time search before you ask questions that have been asked before, try searching the forum, as 99% of questions already have answers.

Thank you both for the replies. Gavin, I have searched the forums for hours, and have even read over that entire post. That post begins with the sentence "There is a problem when running games via SMB client, initialization and connection is normal, the interface ConnectX correctly displays the free space on a network drive, scan games, as is normal, they appear among others." This alone tells me this guy was further than I was, as ConnectX does nothing on my end, ConX: is never displayed. The sentence to which I assume you are referring reads: "On linux the samba version is samba 4.6.7. if this information helps you figure out why connectX wont connect to samba, or allow you to play your games, feel free to send me a PM, and let me know what you come up with." This is the only time that anyone in that thread mentioned anything remotely close to it not functioning at all in Samba version greater that 3, and even still, the sentence isn't nearly as explicit as you make it seem. Furthermore, the words workgroup and domain are not found anywhere in that thread outside of code blocks containing information from peoples smb.conf file, nor is the word domain found anywhere on the forum if searching for it. Keep in mind though, that I still thought my problem was credential based, not smb server version based, as nothing in my searches would have lead me to believe otherwise. And when I said "and have even tried limiting the SMB version to 2.1 and 2 on the server side," this was based in the knowledge of what versions of SMB Windows functions with, which for the record, has yet to make it to version 4.

/rant

As for what I learned, and what will benefit people in the future:

• Netgear ReadyNAS OS6 is Debian Linux based, and therefore can be SSH'ed into. a quick login and run of smbstatus tells me my smb version is greater than 4, so I guess there's my problem.
  • Apparently conenctX doesn't care about workgroups, nor domains. (I have not tested this, merely taking gavin's word for it, however still find it hard to believe that smb will accept a connection to domain joined device without specifying a domain unless the account with access is local).
  • Since this is a ReadyNAS, I will not be manually attempting to lower the version of smb. Instead, a workaround that I will use will be to create an iSCSI LUN and attach it to a virtual server, then share that via an older version of SMB. 
  • Workgroups and Domains are not the same, yet act similar in some ways. Google "Windows workgroup vs domain" for further reading, fairly interesting read, definitely didn't understand the differences before today.

Thank you for your replies again, as I hate posting on forums due to the response I usually get from mods: "and next time search before you ask questions that have been asked before, try searching the forum, as 99% of questions already have answers." As much as you believe this to be true, your 99% of answers are not usually explicit enough to be found through a search. 

Thanks all!

5 hours ago, 3RAD1CAT0R said:

Thank you both for the replies. Gavin, I have searched the forums for hours, and have even read over that entire post. That post begins with the sentence "There is a problem when running games via SMB client, initialization and connection is normal, the interface ConnectX correctly displays the free space on a network drive, scan games, as is normal, they appear among others." This alone tells me this guy was further than I was, as ConnectX does nothing on my end, ConX: is never displayed. The sentence to which I assume you are referring reads: "On linux the samba version is samba 4.6.7. if this information helps you figure out why connectX wont connect to samba, or allow you to play your games, feel free to send me a PM, and let me know what you come up with." This is the only time that anyone in that thread mentioned anything remotely close to it not functioning at all in Samba version greater that 3, and even still, the sentence isn't nearly as explicit as you make it seem. Furthermore, the words workgroup and domain are not found anywhere in that thread outside of code blocks containing information from peoples smb.conf file, nor is the word domain found anywhere on the forum if searching for it. Keep in mind though, that I still thought my problem was credential based, not smb server version based, as nothing in my searches would have lead me to believe otherwise. And when I said "and have even tried limiting the SMB version to 2.1 and 2 on the server side," this was based in the knowledge of what versions of SMB Windows functions with, which for the record, has yet to make it to version 4.

/rant

As for what I learned, and what will benefit people in the future:

• Netgear ReadyNAS OS6 is Debian Linux based, and therefore can be SSH'ed into. a quick login and run of smbstatus tells me my smb version is greater than 4, so I guess there's my problem.
  • Apparently conenctX doesn't care about workgroups, nor domains. (I have not tested this, merely taking gavin's word for it, however still find it hard to believe that smb will accept a connection to domain joined device without specifying a domain unless the account with access is local).
  • Since this is a ReadyNAS, I will not be manually attempting to lower the version of smb. Instead, a workaround that I will use will be to create an iSCSI LUN and attach it to a virtual server, then share that via an older version of SMB. 
  • Workgroups and Domains are not the same, yet act similar in some ways. Google "Windows workgroup vs domain" for further reading, fairly interesting read, definitely didn't understand the differences before today.

Thank you for your replies again, as I hate posting on forums due to the response I usually get from mods: "and next time search before you ask questions that have been asked before, try searching the forum, as 99% of questions already have answers." As much as you believe this to be true, your 99% of answers are not usually explicit enough to be found through a search. 

Thanks all!

You are under some misconceptions here, and some of your facts are wrong:

1. SMB came from microsoft around the same time as Netbios, as their main file sharing service. So when you say you windows has yet to make it to version 4, what you actually mean is that samba version 4 is still trying to catch up to windows.

2. I said connectX doesnt care about workgroups, never said anything about domains. Domains are a totally different type of authentication, and since the xbox can not join active directory, it will never work in a domain based environment, as microsoft never intended the plugin to be used that way.

3. The problem is credential based. Meaning the way the server handles account verification. I have tried to get this to work with Samba 4.x, but have not been successful. That doesnt mean it couldnt work, but the developers have been changing authentication options around and it doesnt work at this moment in time.

4. The last post in the thread I linked to had working configuration for the samba server, assuming you are running the right version. This is about as much of an instructional answer on how to do this as you will get on this forum, as both Samba, and ConnectX(We use it, but didnt create it, and cant change it) are outside the scope of what we do, and most of the user base here is running windows7-10 which it works fine with. Also, by searching the forum for ConnectX, I came to that in 20 seconds. Which means the search function works fine, but you dont know how to search, or read the information, or just want to be spoon fed.

I only know of 2 people on this forum that use linux as a main OS, and I am one of them. I am sure there are others, but it never comes up in the main threads, which is why that is the best thread for answers on these questions. 

All of that being said, if you are have a NAS running a debian base, that you have ssh access to it,  then it is fairly easy to install an older version of samba, assuming you can find one for that version of debian for that processor architecture. This is mainly because of the libs involved. Even if it doesnt, you could compile a version that would work, create a new package, and install that with the deb command. It isnt that hard, and would fix your problems. If you really want a challenge, drop the debian base, and compile LEDE(OpenWRT fork), gentoo, or really any other linux distro for your NAS. This will give you all of the control you could ever want for every app you could choose to run. 

Also, as another option, both LEDE, and DD-WRT are running working versions of samba in their current versions, so if you were so inclined, you could flash your router, configure it just for this, and put your games on a usb drive there. Personally I prefer this option for home networks, as I can cut out the costs of running a full NAS system on top of the router. I use my router for routing(Obviously, but this is much configurable for home routers than 99% of stock firmwares), NAS, adblocking, DLNA streaming, bandwidth limiting, site filtering proxy(Which firewall rules automatically forward all internet traffic to), etc. All of this in one small device I put on a shelf, and never look at. Dont need an extra system eating power 24/7, and I get all of the features, excepting a raid array(Which I would rather have in an actual server), which most home users dont actually set up and configure properly anyway. Take it from someone who fixes these things for a living. lol. A good flash able router will get you farther in my book than a dedicated NAS system, in 99% of home enviornements, unless you are sharing data with 10+ computers at a time. Such as this one https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_R7800. With LEDE, you could do all of your NAS stuff all day, and still have tons of resources free to do so much more. EG, add a USB soundcard and use it as a network sink for PulseAudio, to extend audio to your stereo(While you are at it, add bluetooth as well, then you can use it to play music from your phone through your stereo also), have it download your bittorrents directly to you nas drive using a client/server based bittorent client. Run the core to an IRC app(Quassel), so you never drop out of chats, even if you walk away with your computer. Install squid/dansguardian so you can cache and filter sites so your children dont view content they shouldnt. I could go on and on.

• Haha 1

This is why I suggested moving away from SMB and ConnectX in particular with Aurora 7 =) Something like the PS3s ps3netsrv would be much easier.

Personally, I had problems at first. I run a small CentOS Linux 7.3.1611 machine with a big ass raid array connected to the sata port for PS3 and XBOX 360 and I did not manage to connectx to it either at first. Finally I managed it, but I can not remember the exact setting that caused it. I do remember that when it started working was the same time as I could start seeing the server in Windows Networking (when just clicking "Network" in Windows 10 explorer), so probably when I got the correct netbios name to be detected on the network.

I also added a static A record to the DNS of my domain for it so name resolution would work (Again, linux box is not joined to the domain, however all machines, XBOX360 and the CentOS machine use the main domain DNS as its primary DNS).

Important is the netbios name and workgroup. I also have a Windows Domain, but the samba server on the CentOS machine is not directly joined to it. I could never bother with the file servers as its not exactly intuitive. So I match the workgroup setting in samba.conf to my domains name.

smbstatus shows version 4.4.4

Heres my, very simple, samba.conf. Netbios name and workgroup are changed only to protect the innocent.

[global]
    netbios name = CentOSMachine
    cups options = raw
    load printers = no
    server string = Samba Server Version %v
    workgroup = MyDomainName
    os level = 20
    security = user
    preferred master = no
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    ## High deadtime (3 hours) so that PS2 games dont hang...
    deadtime = 180
    default case = lower
    dns proxy = no
    encrypt passwords = true
    guest ok = yes
    hosts allow = all
#    preserve case = no
    printable = no
#    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=131072 SO_SNDBUF=131072
    strict sync = no
    sync always = no
    syslog = 1
    syslog only = yes

strict allocate = Yes
    read raw = Yes
    write raw = Yes
    strict locking = No
    min receivefile size = 16384
    use sendfile = true
    aio read size = 16384
    aio write size = 16384