RealModScene
MaesterRowen

NOVA - The Future of LiNK

With the new LiNK v2, do we still need that annoying UPNP and port-forwarding? I hope we don't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, it'll still be there... it's something every server-client thing needs when behind a router

Is there any api for developers to use link?

to use when a player connects etc

Not really no

• Like 1

So one connection may mean HTTP 2.0 ?

If so we would technically have less but quicker data stream ...

No, HTTP is a protocol, it's a custom protocol...

• Like 1

There is no http 2.0 protocol, http is the protocol that your web browser uses, and has been since the beginning. lol. it has its limitations for this sort of application, such as it is a request based service. The new protocol will be a 2 way, where the server can request info from the xbox and vice versa. this is required for things like IM protocols, VoiP protocols, IRC protocols, even for things like online gaming. Link is a VPN, so the games actually handle that, and the plugin just forwards all the info the the server, but choosing rooms and stuff is all request based. which is part of the reason the room lists take longer to show up. The idea, or my thoughts, is that with the new connection method things like this will be updated in real time in the plugin memory which will speed this stuff up.

• Like 2

so basically the only difference between link and nova will be that when u will search for a room it will load faster?

so if i understan correctly how system link works:

- lets say 17 people connect to a host (this goes through unity server)

- than every press of the button i make is uploaded directly to the host (so unity server has nothing to do with it)

- the host is downloading all the button presses from all 17 players and is uploading 18 (from 17 players + his own)

- every console is computing the imput and showing the result

MY QUESTIONS:

- am i downloading 18 or 17? (probably 17 because it wouldent make much sense to upload and dl my own button pressess... or maybe it is 18 and it has to go this was otherwise there would be lag since u have 0 ping to yourself)

- is my assumption even correct?

- but when system link is overloaded we all are loosing connection and sometimes when 33 people connect to a room we get thrown out of the room which means that there is some interaction between the consoles and the unity server all the time???

when i refresh the rooms list the unity server is pinging all the players (so one part of the plugin is always listening if the server will ping it?). so when there are a lot of link players and lets say 50 people refesh the room than this means that the unity server pings my xbox 50x or does it ping lets say each seconds and than just displays the result to who ever refreshed at that moment?

so the connection itself is handeled by the plugin on each xbox. will you guys rewrite the plugin? is it even possible?

sorry if i am being annoying but i am really curious about this stuff and i am really wondering ho system link works and how nova will work

LiNK and Nova are completely different things, Nova is going to be like the FSD plugin, except it's for Aurora...

LiNK is the service which is provided for you so that you can play System Link enabled games over the internet, it doesn't have anything to do with your button presses... all of that is the game itself...

Along with Nova we're going to release a updated version of LiNK which replaces the old version adding new features, not just speed improvements, but also other things such as chat...

Also, the way the communication works is that the console periodically send a request to the server to get updates on changes... the server doesn't send a signal to your console without it being requested

LiNK and Nova are completely different things, Nova is going to be like the FSD plugin, except it's for Aurora...

LiNK is the service which is provided for you so that you can play System Link enabled games over the internet, it doesn't have anything to do with your button presses... all of that is the game itself...

Along with Nova we're going to release a updated version of LiNK which replaces the old version adding new features, not just speed improvements, but also other things such as chat...

Also, the way the communication works is that the console periodically send a request to the server to get updates on changes... the server doesn't send a signal to your console without it being requested

ok.... guess i have no clue about system link. better if i just stfu  :D

so basically the only difference between link and nova will be that when u will search for a room it will load faster?

so if i understan correctly how system link works:

- lets say 17 people connect to a host (this goes through unity server)

- than every press of the button i make is uploaded directly to the host (so unity server has nothing to do with it)

- the host is downloading all the button presses from all 17 players and is uploading 18 (from 17 players + his own)

- every console is computing the imput and showing the result

MY QUESTIONS:

- am i downloading 18 or 17? (probably 17 because it wouldent make much sense to upload and dl my own button pressess... or maybe it is 18 and it has to go this was otherwise there would be lag since u have 0 ping to yourself)

- is my assumption even correct?

- but when system link is overloaded we all are loosing connection and sometimes when 33 people connect to a room we get thrown out of the room which means that there is some interaction between the consoles and the unity server all the time???

when i refresh the rooms list the unity server is pinging all the players (so one part of the plugin is always listening if the server will ping it?). so when there are a lot of link players and lets say 50 people refesh the room than this means that the unity server pings my xbox 50x or does it ping lets say each seconds and than just displays the result to who ever refreshed at that moment?

so the connection itself is handeled by the plugin on each xbox. will you guys rewrite the plugin? is it even possible?

sorry if i am being annoying but i am really curious about this stuff and i am really wondering ho system link works and how nova will work

Xbox Unity server does absolutely nothing with the packets of data created via System Link.    The only thing Xbox Unity does is provide each individual xbox in a Game Lobby the IP address and ports of other xboxes.

From there the xbox does the communicating with other xboxes to make system link work.   

The unity connection we have in LiNKv2 will handle things like people leaving and joining rooms (or other state items like that) to allow a more dynamic update of the state on the xbox.   This will result in things feeling faster and more responsive.

Also-  because we can send data in little manageable chunks, we're not constrained by upper limit memory limitations as badly- allowing us to do a little more than we could do in LiNKv1.

Well, if not technically, i can assume that it works exactly the way System link works on xbox, plus some new features. When playing in system link, we create an ad-hoc, all xboxes join that network and they can find each other and link up... What LiNK does, i assume is that it makes it possible for xboxes to find each other from long distance, using UPnP service (dont know if it is a service or what [emoji16]) allowing them to connect to each other, typically LiNK is creating a virtual ad-hoc environment just like if you did as i said at beginning. Chatting and other things are a bonus. [emoji6]

Basically yeah...

UPNP is "Universal Plug And Play" it just opens the ports for you automatically, it doesn't always work properly tho :(

Uhh i see, so thats why we mostly have to do port forwarding? Which is a manual way... So we don't have to have UPnP enabled router. Bingo that cleared up a lot. Tnx.

• Like 2

Uhh i see, so thats why we mostly have to do port forwarding? Which is a manual way... So we don't have to have UPnP enabled router. Bingo that cleared up a lot. Tnx.

Exactly, you need a UPNP Enabled router OR manually doing the portforwarding

Obviously tho, if you just have a UPNP enabled router it won't function, the feature has to be enabled aswell ;)

• Like 2

Well, if not technically, i can assume that it works exactly the way System link works on xbox, plus some new features. When playing in system link, we create an ad-hoc, all xboxes join that network and they can find each other and link up... What LiNK does, i assume is that it makes it possible for xboxes to find each other from long distance, using UPnP service (dont know if it is a service or what [emoji16]) allowing them to connect to each other, typically LiNK is creating a virtual ad-hoc environment just like if you did as i said at beginning. Chatting and other things are a bonus. [emoji6]

First off, I think you are confused about your terminology. AD-Hoc is commonly known in wireless networking as a network between 2 computers with out using an access point. No more, no less. It is the same as plugging in a crossover cable in an ethernet only enviornment. :) UPnP is Universal Plug and Play, meaning that if your Router is set up properly, or supports this, the ports will forward automatically. USB uses another form of UPnP. Now UPnP actually started with USB, in the days of serial ports, every device you connected to them had to be configured the right way on both the device, and the computer, or the computer wouldnt see it.(Mainly Baud Rates, And Com Ports!) 

Now the term you are looking for is VPN(Virtual Private Network) Which is a service that can be set up for multiple applications, mainly in buisness enviornments, where computers sit in different buildings(Buildings could be on opposite sides of the world), and need to be connected together like they were sitting next to each other. So We create a VPN, which creates a private tunnel to the main server, and that connects it to the next server, so on and so forth, until it reaches its destination. The hacking community also uses VPN, to make it harder to be traced, they will forward all of their traffic over TOR, and have their computer get its internet connection forwarded over the VPN, so if they break the TOR stuff, the trail ends on the other side of the world. :)

@Swizzy, I was already in the middle of typing this out, when you answered the question in not so many words. It just gets me all funny feeling when people try to talk about stuff they dont understand at all. lol. Especially since this is the kind of stuff I do for a living when I actually have work. lol.

Exactly, you need a UPNP Enabled router OR manually doing the portforwarding

Obviously tho, if you just have a UPNP enabled router it won't function, the feature has to be enabled aswell ;)

Which in some cases it won't work even when active. Lol

First off, I think you are confused about your terminology. AD-Hoc is commonly known in wireless networking as a network between 2 computers with out using an access point. No more, no less. It is the same as plugging in a crossover cable in an ethernet only enviornment. :) UPnP is Universal Plug and Play, meaning that if your Router is set up properly, or supports this, the ports will forward automatically. USB uses another form of UPnP. Now UPnP actually started with USB, in the days of serial ports, every device you connected to them had to be configured the right way on both the device, and the computer, or the computer wouldnt see it.(Mainly Baud Rates, And Com Ports!)

Now the term you are looking for is VPN(Virtual Private Network) Which is a service that can be set up for multiple applications, mainly in buisness enviornments, where computers sit in different buildings(Buildings could be on opposite sides of the world), and need to be connected together like they were sitting next to each other. So We create a VPN, which creates a private tunnel to the main server, and that connects it to the next server, so on and so forth, until it reaches its destination. The hacking community also uses VPN, to make it harder to be traced, they will forward all of their traffic over TOR, and have their computer get its internet connection forwarded over the VPN, so if they break the TOR stuff, the trail ends on the other side of the world. :)

Hey, you are right, i really don't know much about this networking stuff, and i was just pointing out the final result which we get connected and play games (tried to fix the post about sending buttons. Lol)... Well i have got some questions if you can help me with, i use my pc and create a hotspot to get my xbox connected, since you do these stuff for living, i guess you might be able to teach me how to create a vpn (or what ever you prefer i do) so i get LiNK work up... Cause i dont have a router and obviously i get the port verification failed. And no matter how much i tried to add port exceptions in windows firewall inbound and outbound rules, obviously it didnt work cause i must have touched the wrong place.

Hey, you are right, i really don't know much about this networking stuff, and i was just pointing out the final result which we get connected and play games (tried to fix the post about sending buttons. Lol)... Well i have got some questions if you can help me with, i use my pc and create a hotspot to get my xbox connected, since you do these stuff for living, i guess you might be able to teach me how to create a vpn (or what ever you prefer i do) so i get LiNK work up... Cause i dont have a router and obviously i get the port verification failed. And no matter how much i tried to add port exceptions in windows firewall inbound and outbound rules, obviously it didnt work cause i must have touched the wrong place.

Sent PM.

yesterday while playing bo2 we saw someone cheating and someone said kick him and 10s later the room leader got kicked out of the room and the cheater got the leadership.... i cant wait for nova. because like u guys explained in nova when leader rejoins the room he gets the leadership back.

another thing is i am just wondering why those who will use mods will be flagged in nova? i would like to use camo mod (the only mod i ever used because i need my pinky camo :D ). if they will be flagged they will just use the hacks that they use now and will stay under the radar. and i think people wont use camo trainer with aurora if they will be tagged as moders.

so my question is if there is any way that using the camo trainer will not flag you as a modder?

yesterday while playing bo2 we saw someone cheating and someone said kick him and 10s later the room leader got kicked out of the room and the cheater got the leadership.... i cant wait for nova. because like u guys explained in nova when leader rejoins the room he gets the leadership back.

another thing is i am just wondering why those who will use mods will be flagged in nova? i would like to use camo mod (the only mod i ever used because i need my pinky camo :D ). if they will be flagged they will just use the hacks that they use now and will stay under the radar. and i think people wont use camo trainer with aurora if they will be tagged as moders.

so my question is if there is any way that using the camo trainer will not flag you as a modder?

Anyone using the Aurora trainers will be flagged... it doesn't matter if it's a functional mod or a unlock mod... they're both trainers

• Like 1

Leader status isn't given back to room leader when they rejoin the room.   However, the room owner (ie, the user who created the room) should have the ability to change the leader at any time (even back to themselves).  Additionally, LiNK mods will have the ability to change the leader of a room at any point as well

Ok, so after talking to maester rowen about the local system link problem, and how nova has so much more then just link, he said he will look into haveing link disabled until you sign it to a link room, as he agrees this would be useful. :) No promises, just thought all the local system link players would enjoy this small update on the teaser. No promises that it is doable, just that it is being looked into. :)

this week playing in public room was imposible... there are too many cheaters...

and since there are less than 50 people playing from morning until later in the day its really hard to even find a decent host. and i am not the only one saying this. practically everyone i know is saying this.

is there a chance that if more than 10 people or something like that report a cheter that he would get like 2 days ban. and after that if he cheats again he would get 7 days ban and after that he gets banned for ever? is this even possible? or can he just make another account? because there are some cheathers (alcatraz and others) that come everyday and just dont care. u can see on killcam how he is following u o killcam when u are behind the wall and they go 20:0 in search and destroy against great players. 2 days ago alcatraz got 3x warthog in snd :D.