RealModScene
MaesterRowen

NOVA - The Future of LiNK

Well if we can't change the look, is there any way we can get notifications from getting new messages at least? (from friends) While in and out of a game would be nice too

Swizzy beat me to it, but since all of that will be handled in the plugin, that will be loaded when aurora starts, then obviously the answer would be yes.

YAY!!! :thumbsup: Now I really can't wait. It feels like Christmas came early this year! Man......I feel like I'm cheating on Xbox LIVE. (If Xbox LIVE was a person)

Now that just got me thinking...How does the messaging work anyway? I mean, is it like basicly "previewing" a received message on a website? Or is it something else?

It is an instant messenger program. Like Pidgin, AIM, Yahoo IM. The only difference is that it will work only on the xbox, and it gets passed through the Unity server. So it will work just like xbox live, excepting the fact that it might not include a PM feature. Meaning if the person you are trying to PM isnt online, then they wont get the message. The second part is more of a guess, but I would assume this to be true.

YAY!!! :thumbsup: Now I really can't wait. It feels like Christmas came early this year! Man......I feel like I'm cheating on Xbox LIVE. (If Xbox LIVE was a person)

Now that just got me thinking...How does the messaging work anyway? I mean, is it like basicly "previewing" a received message on a website? Or is it something else?

We'll see exactly how the messaging stuff will be implemented, right now we've got room chat going, beyond that i cannot say anything else right now...

• Like 1

Before assumptions get way out of hand-  a couple of points to hopefully answer some questions:

1)  You will be required to log into Xbox Unity every time the Nova plugin is loaded (so every time you boot Aurora for the first time).  We will most likely have options to auto-login just like you would if you were on Xbox Live or any other internet service.   Auto Login would remember whatever username and apikey you supplied it and use that to connect to Xbox Unity at boot.   

2)  We will most likely not incorporate external trainers to enable kicking from specific games.  The disconnection of a LiNK user from a LiNK lobby is enough to force a disconnection from the host.   If the host of the actual game is kicked from a LiNK lobby, then anyone connected to that host will lose connection with the host.  

3)  Don't over dream on what friends and messaging will be like.  It's likely not going to be exactly like Xbox Live and the possibilities are not endless.  We're working within some very strong memory and processing limits and while we want to bring you everything you want- some of it may not be possible once we really dig into those areas and push the limits.

4)  Alpha testing of the Nova will happen in the future and will initially be invite only.  The alpha testing process will be to test functionality and ensure that system link connectivity is still working properly.  More importantly, the alpha testing will be to ensure our server framework is robust and solid enough to handle more than 4 people at once (which is currently the most we've tested online at a single time)

5)  Lastly, Nova and the future LiNK service will only work with Aurora once its released.  And I know there are adamant Freestyle Dash lovers out there; but once we go into public release of Nova, the support for LiNK as you are using  it now will be disabled and Freestyle Plugin will no longer connect.  The reason for this is because current LiNK (let's call it LiNK v1) works completely different than new LiNK (let's call it LiNK v2).  LiNK v1 uses HTTP protocol to communicate with a server and everything is request based.   LiNK v2 uses an active one-to-one connection with the server and a messaging architecture to get encrypted, instant and low overhead communication.  LiNK v1 and LiNK v2 will not be compatibile with each other and thus, LiNK v1 will go away.

Hopefully this helps everyone's understanding of Nova and the future of LiNK.   We have a lot of work ahead of us, and I can't even say for sure what features will ultimately make it out-  we have big ideas- and it's only a matter of time before we know what we can pull off~

Before assumptions get way out of hand-  a couple of points to hopefully answer some questions:

1)  You will be required to log into Xbox Unity every time the Nova plugin is loaded (so every time you boot Aurora for the first time).  We will most likely have options to auto-login just like you would if you were on Xbox Live or any other internet service.   Auto Login would remember whatever username and apikey you supplied it and use that to connect to Xbox Unity at boot.   

2)  We will most likely not incorporate external trainers to enable kicking from specific games.  The disconnection of a LiNK user from a LiNK lobby is enough to force a disconnection from the host.   If the host of the actual game is kicked from a LiNK lobby, then anyone connected to that host will lose connection with the host.  

3)  Don't over dream on what friends and messaging will be like.  It's likely not going to be exactly like Xbox Live and the possibilities are not endless.  We're working within some very strong memory and processing limits and while we want to bring you everything you want- some of it may not be possible once we really dig into those areas and push the limits.

4)  Alpha testing of the Nova will happen in the future and will initially be invite only.  The alpha testing process will be to test functionality and ensure that system link connectivity is still working properly.  More importantly, the alpha testing will be to ensure our server framework is robust and solid enough to handle more than 4 people at once (which is currently the most we've tested online at a single time)

5)  Lastly, Nova and the future LiNK service will only work with Aurora once its released.  And I know there are adamant Freestyle Dash lovers out there; but once we go into public release of Nova, the support for LiNK as you are using  it now will be disabled and Freestyle Plugin will no longer connect.  The reason for this is because current LiNK (let's call it LiNK v1) works completely different than new LiNK (let's call it LiNK v2).  LiNK v1 uses HTTP protocol to communicate with a server and everything is request based.   LiNK v2 uses an active one-to-one connection with the server and a messaging architecture to get encrypted, instant and low overhead communication.  LiNK v1 and LiNK v2 will not be compatibile with each other and thus, LiNK v1 will go away.

Hopefully this helps everyone's understanding of Nova and the future of LiNK.   We have a lot of work ahead of us, and I can't even say for sure what features will ultimately make it out-  we have big ideas- and it's only a matter of time before we know what we can pull off~

That is some interesting info, but half the fun of a teaser thread is to let people speculate. ;) So this autologin thing, could we do it by profile? That way when someone else is playing your xbox, they are using their apikey, and not yours? Once again, I am speculating. lol. But this seems like a logical conclusion.

• Like 1

That is some interesting info, but half the fun of a teaser thread is to let people speculate. ;) So this autologin thing, could we do it by profile? That way when someone else is playing your xbox, they are using their apikey, and not yours? Once again, I am speculating. lol. But this seems like a logical conclusion.

It's possible, but we actually stripped out the per profile Xbox Unity thing in an earlier version of Aurora because when someone signed into a profile and hadn't yet set an API Key, people were generally confused why they couldn't connect to LiNK.

We removed it so you entered your API Key once for the system, and it became a lot more user friendly.

The other change is that LiNKv1 required you be signed into a profile to use it. LiNK v2 does not require a profile to be signed in- so we have that do deal with as well.

That is some interesting info, but half the fun of a teaser thread is to let people speculate. ;)

I agree- except that we're generating expectations that might just end up letting people down haha- there is a lot more to nova than just LiNK tho, so still tons of surprises to come!

will this plugin support more games?

and there is an approximate date for its release?

No, the Game support will be exactly the same...

thnx, any expected date?

When it's done, this is far from finished right now, so it'll take atleast a couple of months before it's released, we're not even ready for alpha/beta testing yet... We've done some server tests, but... beyond that, nova hasn't been tested particularly much yet...

Well. The profiling gets interesting when we can get "friend is online" popups.

Maybe you can implement full chat feature into aurora itself and maybe we can see the current location (game,room) of the online friend.

Im ready. I hope the servers are strong enough for this. ;)

Hey uh, I don't want to sound like "that guy who complains," but could the name "API Key" be changed to "Password" or maybe "Input Password" in the Setting Tab on Aurora? Because that's pretty much what it is, under that selection, we type in our Unity password. I just thought that maybe this could help people who are new to Aurora. As I'm sure there have been many people who ask where they need to enter their password. It's not that big of a deal, but just an idea.

that good. that I'm excited. I want to help in testing.

Alpha/Beta testers have already been contacted, so stop asking to alpha/beta test. It has been stated that it will be invite only, if you havnt been invited, then dont ask, or you definitely will not be. The team might contact more people, as it gets closer to being ready, but I can almost guarantee that the people who ask will not be invited.

• Like 1

Hey uh, I don't want to sound like "that guy who complains," but could the name "API Key" be changed to "Password" or maybe "Input Password" in the Setting Tab on Aurora? Because that's pretty much what it is, under that selection, we type in our Unity password. I just thought that maybe this could help people who are new to Aurora. As I'm sure there have been many people who ask where they need to enter their password. It's not that big of a deal, but just an idea.

No, you don't input your password into that box, when you use the button that grabs the APIKey you feed it your password because that's used to authenticate your account ;)

But it is our Unity account password we put in it though. It was just a suggestion for those who did not understand, that's all. If I need to, I'll record my screen to show you what I meant so there's no more confusion. I'll do it in a few days, as I am currently busy with other things, like moving. (Yes, I'm actually moving. We're trying to get everything cleaned up to sell the house.)

But it is our Unity account password we put in it though. It was just a suggestion for those who did not understand, that's all. If I need to, I'll record my screen to show you what I meant so there's no more confusion. I'll do it in a few days, as I am currently busy with other things, like moving. (Yes, I'm actually moving. We're trying to get everything cleaned up to sell the house.)

If you press the GetAPI Key button it asks for your password to get the API Key- 

If you press on the text box you can manually enter your API Key.    

It is your API Key that is stored in the database- not your password.  We may have set up LiNK to work with both API Key and password as interchangeable (I don't recall exactly what we did there)- However; if you are entering your password into the API Key box, you're only making yourself vulnerable to exposing your password to prying eyes.  (Also, it is likely that entering your password into API Key box will also cause Unity Push to not work correctly).

So all that said; API Key is named API Key cause it contains your API Key.  Naming it anything else would be wrong.

So, is there any chance of Voice-chat in the new Nova? for games that dont support chatting?? doubtful but hopefully it may be a future thing! lol

If you press the GetAPI Key button it asks for your password to get the API Key- 

If you press on the text box you can manually enter your API Key.    

It is your API Key that is stored in the database- not your password.  We may have set up LiNK to work with both API Key and password as interchangeable (I don't recall exactly what we did there)- However; if you are entering your password into the API Key box, you're only making yourself vulnerable to exposing your password to prying eyes.  (Also, it is likely that entering your password into API Key box will also cause Unity Push to not work correctly).

So all that said; API Key is named API Key cause it contains your API Key.  Naming it anything else would be wrong.

Oh, well than sorry.  :wallbash:

The limits could be handled by Aurora.

There could be an extra menu for unity + nova functions, where you can (voice) chat and see friendlist online and locations.

• Like 1