RealModScene
MaesterRowen

NOVA - The Future of LiNK

2a0dkk4.png

Hello everyone!

We don't have much to show and there is still lots to do.  

That said, enjoy this tease and stay tuned for future announcements.

2cfxrf5.jpg

2ccv1x5.jpg

k1ypll.jpg

MaesterRowen, on 01 May 2015 - 5:18 PM, said:
Before assumptions get way out of hand-  a couple of points to hopefully answer some questions:

1)  You will be required to log into Xbox Unity every time the Nova plugin is loaded (so every time you boot Aurora for the first time).  We will most likely have options to auto-login just like you would if you were on Xbox Live or any other internet service.   Auto Login would remember whatever username and apikey you supplied it and use that to connect to Xbox Unity at boot.  

2)  We will most likely not incorporate external trainers to enable kicking from specific games.  The disconnection of a LiNK user from a LiNK lobby is enough to force a disconnection from the host.   If the host of the actual game is kicked from a LiNK lobby, then anyone connected to that host will lose connection with the host. 

3)  Don't over dream on what friends and messaging will be like.  It's likely not going to be exactly like Xbox Live and the possibilities are not endless.  We're working within some very strong memory and processing limits and while we want to bring you everything you want- some of it may not be possible once we really dig into those areas and push the limits.

4)  Alpha testing of the Nova will happen in the future and will initially be invite only.  The alpha testing process will be to test functionality and ensure that system link connectivity is still working properly.  More importantly, the alpha testing will be to ensure our server framework is robust and solid enough to handle more than 4 people at once (which is currently the most we've tested online at a single time)

5)  Lastly, Nova and the future LiNK service will only work with Aurora once its released.  And I know there are adamant Freestyle Dash lovers out there; but once we go into public release of Nova, the support for LiNK as you are using  it now will be disabled and Freestyle Plugin will no longer connect.  The reason for this is because current LiNK (let's call it LiNK v1) works completely different than new LiNK (let's call it LiNK v2).  LiNK v1 uses HTTP protocol to communicate with a server and everything is request based.   LiNK v2 uses an active one-to-one connection with the server and a messaging architecture to get encrypted, instant and low overhead communication.  LiNK v1 and LiNK v2 will not be compatibile with each other and thus, LiNK v1 will go away.

Hopefully this helps everyone's understanding of Nova and the future of LiNK.   We have a lot of work ahead of us, and I can't even say for sure what features will ultimately make it out-  we have big ideas- and it's only a matter of time before we know what we can pull off~

Does this require one of the new dashboards?  Like Aurora?  I've not bothered to install it since I'm perfectly happy with FSD. 

• Like 11

Does this require one of the new dashboards?  Like Aurora?  I've not bothered to install it since I'm perfectly happy with FSD.

Interesting but i was using FSD and i was having a lot of problems like crashing and lags...

And i'm glad to see that the scene is still active, keep up the good work ;)

Nova is the Aurora equivalent of Freestyle Plugin.  It will require Aurora to work correctly and completely.

Awesome news, kinda suprised this is coming so soon, as I was under the impression that a new plugin was not a priority. Either way it is awesome. Any chance we will also get messaging, and the ability to add friends/find friends on the xbox. I know you can do this on the unity site, but it is a bit annoying to have to get online on the computer to see if a friend is online. Feel free to fill me in in a pm if you want. :)

• Like 2

This looks wicked! Would it be possible to remove auto disc swap feature from the Nova Plugin and have us just use the Dashlaunch disc swap to reduce redundancy? A while back you said the Dashlaunch method works way better than the one included in the Freestyle plugin. All in all not a big deal just curious :).

Wow. You are missing out. FSD was great but Aurora has new features that you need and don't even realize it. If skins are the issue there are plenty. Can't wait until the latest from the greatest!

• Like 2

Awesome news, kinda suprised this is coming so soon, as I was under the impression that a new plugin was not a priority. Either way it is awesome. Any chance we will also get messaging, and the ability to add friends/find friends on the xbox. I know you can do this on the unity site, but it is a bit annoying to have to get online on the computer to see if a friend is online. Feel free to fill me in in a pm if you want. :)

I don't want to say too much- but since this is a tease thread- I will say that one major limitation from Freestyle Plugin was that we couldn't access the virtual keyboard while HUD was open for multiple reasons.

Since then, I have spent the time getting USB keyboards and Xbox 360 Chat Pad to work as a form of Text Input.   This significantly opens up our possibilities.

For Example:

1eavxf.jpg

Well it is nice to see that some sort of text input is available in the new plugin, Unfortunatly, I do not have a chat pad, and since I use an off brand controller, which is smaller then the original, I dont see me getting one anytime soon. But I do have a usb keyboard somewhere, I will have to dig it out. :)

• Like 1

This looks wicked! Would it be possible to remove auto disc swap feature from the Nova Plugin and have us just use the Dashlaunch disc swap to reduce redundancy? A while back you said the Dashlaunch method works way better than the one included in the Freestyle plugin. All in all not a big deal just curious :).

It'll probably be made into a optional feature (meaning, you'll probably be able to disable it in the settings)

• Like 1

شكراٌ عمل جميل جداٌ Ù†Ø§ سعيد 

You need to check your writing BEFORE posting, arabic is NOT accepted in normal threads in this forum, the only place arabic is allowed is matchmaking and/or Aurora Localization (arabic specific threads)

#sería bueno que   tuviera  la opción de bloquear los mods que utilizan en juegos como BO2

#would be nice to have the option of blocking the mods used in games like BO2

#sería bueno que   tuviera  la opción de bloquear los mods que utilizan en juegos como BO2

#would be nice to have the option of blocking the mods used in games like BO2

Dont quote me on this, as all I really know is what has been posted here, but I would assume the plugin will detect if people are using aurora trainers, and stop people using them from joining public rooms. Now for non-aurora trainers, there isnt much that can be done, as those are loaded by dashlaunch, and I dont think there is much that can be done, other then reading the launch.ini and looking for common trainer file names in the plugin list. That being said anyone with half a brain, who is determined would just rename the file to really anything else, and then it would slide right by a filter like that. :( The aurora trainers are loaded by aurora, and from what I can see of the plugin, you can interact with them with the plugin, it wouldnt be too hard to keep people using them out of public rooms. :)

Dont quote me on this, as all I really know is what has been posted here, but I would assume the plugin will detect if people are using aurora trainers, and stop people using them from joining public rooms. Now for non-aurora trainers, there isnt much that can be done, as those are loaded by dashlaunch, and I dont think there is much that can be done, other then reading the launch.ini and looking for common trainer file names in the plugin list. That being said anyone with half a brain, who is determined would just rename the file to really anything else, and then it would slide right by a filter like that. :( The aurora trainers are loaded by aurora, and from what I can see of the plugin, you can interact with them with the plugin, it wouldnt be too hard to keep people using them out of public rooms. :)

Not a bad guess-

Our current plan is not block anyone from using trainers.  That just encourages trainer makers and users to create work around to make them invisible.  Which is not what we want.

The only thing we intend to do is tag the user as "User Aurora trainers"- so you can see them in your player list and decide to leave the room or create your own room.  If you are creating a room, and you are the room leader, you can choose to kick those people.

Additionally, we are planning a feature to allow you to create a user game room and then set a password at any time.  So you could be public til you get a nice group of people that you feel comfortable playing with and then lock the room so noone else can join.

That'll probably be about the only thing we'll do and show others who is actually using a trainer, the Aurora trainer guys won't attempt to bypass this stuff, but, others would if we put up any kind of protection schemes to stop ppl from using trainers in public (other then moderators/admins kicking the users whom use trainers in public rooms when it occurs)

• Like 5

That'll probably be about the only thing we'll do and show others who is actually using a trainer, the Aurora trainer guys won't attempt to bypass this stuff, but, others would if we put up any kind of protection schemes to stop ppl from using trainers in public (other then moderators/admins kicking the users whom use trainers in public rooms when it occurs)

I've noticed that, but i have been on LiNK and couldnt create a private room.. such as with diablo.. dont wanna piss anyone off.. but as long as we tick the option for Cheats allowed.. will it be a problem?

And i +1 for IP bans.. lol.. as that will kill anyone thinking of breaking rules..

• Like 2

I've noticed that, but i have been on LiNK and couldnt create a private room.. such as with diablo.. dont wanna piss anyone off.. but as long as we tick the option for Cheats allowed.. will it be a problem?

If you are unable to create a private room, you should report the issue here on the forums so we can look into it, we cannot fix issues we do not know about

But, to answer your question; if you have a private room and you enable cheats, trainers will obviously be allowed, i'm not sure if we're going to implement any limitations for trainers in private rooms, but... maybe we do that aswell to keep LiNK users "safe" (meaning, those that are just looking to have fun without cheating shouldn't be forced to play with ppl that can't play the game without cheats)

The problem is, we cannot block every trainer out there, what we can do is disallow Aurora trainers in public rooms and/or in private rooms that have cheats disabled and/or show others who have a trainer loaded

And you can look for the loaded xex. I guess you can analyze the file if it is actually a trainer or the original xex file. Therefore it does not have to be an aurora trainer identification only.