RealModScene
Mo3iz

F3 crash

I am pretty surprised that somebody (even with "developer" title) has experienced problems with FSD.

I have used it more than 3 years and it is the first crash I have observed. And I have only one non-working feature - it is a weather, that doesn't work for well known reason. But maybe it is because I am the user, not coder or developer, and I enjoy a good interface and all good working features without trying to build some plugins to perform a flight to the Moon or learn how to code Lua scripts. Whatever, I am only user, and I love a good stuff like Fsd was, and I am not experienced enough to patch xex or build my own server. Yeah, nobody promised me jqe360.com will work forever and I didn't pay a cent for this - but when good coder decided to discontinue his product he usually makes it working - but without recent features those new product has. In our case we have problems with Fsd that can't be easily disabled - and Aurora that possibly (possibly!) will be better than Fsd, but lacks it's simple features at the present time. You think I am wrong? Just test how many requests are made on jqe360.com from Fsd and compare with Aurora ones. I believe Fed's are more.

Now we have two products: the stable and very popular, but broken with latest server changes - and the one on beta stage. Is it a good move for developing process? I don't know, I am a simple user, but frankly speaking - I don't think so. Just to compare: Microsoft discontinued XP a long time ago, but they didn't broke it (they even made it free).

As for smb-client - maybe I was wrong in terms. In Fsd I have a simple smb: folder in explorer so I can easily browse my router share (as well as shares of all PCs in my home network. There is no such feature in Aurora 0.6b, and I'll be honest - this is the main reason why I don't like Aurora. Yeah, maybe some latest version exists - one experienced guy in this thread recommended me to use Aurora 6.0b, but I didn't find it and I can't test this feature on it.

13 minutes ago, gjf said:

Now we have two products: the stable and very popular, but broken with latest server changes - and the one on beta stage. Is it a good move for developing process? I don't know, I am a simple user, but frankly speaking - I don't think so. Just to compare: Microsoft discontinued XP a long time ago, but they didn't broke it (they even made it free).

You criticize the wrong persons here. The official FSD support was closed years ago. Like Swizzys said, nothing has been initiated to excluded the unofficial Mod FSD versions. For support get in touch with the Mod Team/Coders from FSD Mod versions. Its of course easier for a little Dev Team, to support only one project.It ties up considerable many resources, time, to manage & continue a project like Aurora. In this regard Microsoft have a clear advantage as company. They have the necessary internal structures & cash. The official Aurora Team are all private people, they have a private life & jobs. it is not possible to manage both project (FSD & Aurora) at the same time for these little Team.

Let me understand correctly. Fsd coder is not available any more and cannot patch - OK, got it. But who changed a response from update.jqe360.com? It is not available for present team for administration? 

2 hours ago, gjf said:

Let me understand correctly. Fsd coder is not available any more and cannot patch - OK, got it. But who changed a response from update.jqe360.com? It is not available for present team for administration? 

No it's not, many "old" FSD stuff are gone/lost and there won't be any "patch" or re-setup on server-side to deliver correct response to FSD. We all have to deal with that, not only you. But ... we can move forward.

Edit: Actually, blocking the named URL in your router-settings is the easiest solution with minimum effort for all of us.

• Like 1

I really don't understand. If nothing was changed neither in dashboard nor in server - why this crash appeared? 

I was pretty sure the server was changed.

2 hours ago, gjf said:

I really don't understand. If nothing was changed neither in dashboard nor in server - why this crash appeared? 

I was pretty sure the server was changed.

Yes, the server has changed, the domain probably stopped pointing to anything in particular... we've changed alot with the server over the years, and it's been many years since FSD was discontinued...

Honestly, since you didn't donate anything, neither time nor money, you're not really allowed to complain about our course of actions... most of the developers behind FSD are working on Aurora, one of the reasons for leaving FSD behind was the fact that the code for that is a mess, there's been alot of people that has come and gone working on that project, releasing one final "stable" version wouldn't be feasible as you suggest we do/did...

No, i didn't develop anything for FSD, but i did do other things that you probably don't do (do you do anything beyond copying files and playing games?)

I'm a poweruser, meaning i do things that regular users don't do with my console(s), this may have been why FSD was so unstable for me, idk, it has nothing to do with my status as a developer tho... even so, i didn't work on FSD at all back in the day... i didn't even know most of the people that worked on it back then, i know most of them now tho as i'm part of the Aurora development team...

The feature you speak of in FSD (SMB) was connected to ConnectX, and that IS available in Aurora aswell, just it says "Connectx" instead of "SMB" i believe (been a while since i used connectx on my console, hell, been a while since i used Aurora actually, haven't even touched my Xbox 360 in ages due to a lack of time

You comparing us to Microsoft isn't fair, Microsoft have thousands of employee's, we're a handful of people working on this... also, they didn't make Windows XP "Free", they just stopped selling the license and probably stopped caring about illegal copies... there isn't a official application or whatever that removes the need for a license and there probably never will be either...

6 hours ago, Swizzy said:

Yes, the server has changed

That's exactly what I've said: why did you break FSD before Aurora becomes a stable release? Was it really impossible to build Aurora communication with server without breaking it in FSD?  REALLY impossible - or simply nobody cares?

6 hours ago, Swizzy said:

Honestly, since you didn't donate anything, neither time nor money, you're not really allowed to complain about our course of actions...

It was really fun - for what I should donate? For one broken product, that you didn't even develop - or for the second beta that lacks features I like?

Or everybody in this forum who asks for support, complaining, asking for additional features except screaming "Wow, Aurora is the best!!!111!" donate to you?

Try to put licensing feature in Aurora in this case - it would be fun to see licensing in the product for pirated consoles.

Guys, please calm down and just try to understand me. I am not going to say that you are doing a bad job. I am not going to say "stop Aurora, FSD is the best". It's not the best, but it is the most popular and working. You are trying to develop a better product - thank you, best wishes, wow - you are the heroes (I'm not kidding here), but PLEASE - don't break the most popular and working product BEFORE you will release a competitor.

21 minutes ago, gjf said:

That's exactly what I've said: why did you break FSD before Aurora becomes a stable release? Was it really impossible to build Aurora communication with server without breaking it in FSD?  REALLY impossible - or simply nobody cares?

It had nothing to do with Aurora, incase you didn't notice, we've completely changed the forum and everything, this runs on the same server... besides that, nobody in the team cares about FSD anymore...

23 minutes ago, gjf said:

It was really fun - for what I should donate? For one broken product, that you didn't even develop - or for the second beta that lacks features I like?

Or everybody in this forum who asks for support, complaining, asking for additional features except screaming "Wow, Aurora is the best!!!111!" donate to you?

Try to put licensing feature in Aurora in this case - it would be fun to see licensing in the product for pirated consoles.

Guys, please calm down and just try to understand me. I am not going to say that you are doing a bad job. I am not going to say "stop Aurora, FSD is the best". It's not the best, but it is the most popular and working. You are trying to develop a better product - thank you, best wishes, wow - you are the heroes (I'm not kidding here), but PLEASE - don't break the most popular and working product BEFORE you will release a competitor.

I never said you had to donate NOW, you could've donated earlier, when you clearly loved FSD, did you? nope! you said so yourself...

I don't care if people donate or not, but, if you're only here to cause trouble and/or complain about old outdated software we don't want anything to do with you, and you are NOT entitled to being a general pain in the ass about our decision to not continue FSD development which you pretty much demand in this whole post... and quite frankly, FSD isn't all that popular anymore, only a handful of people such as yourself cling to that old dashboard, most that do don't know about Aurora or are afraid to change anything... you on the other hand know how to replace FSD with Aurora, you are also not afraid of change, you just don't like what we decided to do...

we didn't break FSD when Aurora was released, it worked for quite a while, Aurora has been out for years, only NOW you start asking for help fixing a problem that from what i can tell is pretty recent... we've been trying to tell you that FSD isn't supported anymore, and for that you respond in a rude manner saying we're idiots for releasing Aurora and not supporting the old software that was never "STABLE" like you say it is/was, you fail to see the evidence right infront of you that it is infact NOT stable

First: I didn't call you idiot. Let's try to calm down and avoid insulting (I am really surprised I have to ask the forum administrator about it).

Second: I don't ask to support FSD. I just ask to set the server in the way it will not crash it. Closing crash window and cleaning crash logs is annoying. I don't ask for Link, JQE360 or something else - OK, FSD is discontinued, new features will not come - well, disable it, but without crashes. Is it possible?

Third: I will not discuss stability and popularity of FSD without clear statistics. Because I have another point of view, but sure you won't believe it.

4 minutes ago, gjf said:

First: I didn't call you idiot. Let's try to calm down and avoid insulting (I am really surprised I have to ask the forum administrator about it).

Second: I don't ask to support FSD. I just ask to set the server in the way it will not crash it. Closing crash window and cleaning crash logs is annoying. I don't ask for Link, JQE360 or something else - OK, FSD is discontinued, new features will not come - well, disable it, but without crashes. Is it possible?

Third: I will not discuss stability and popularity of FSD without clear statistics. Because I have another point of view, but sure you won't believe it.

Fixing the server to fix FSD is supporting FSD...

I think you have the wrong impression on all of what we do here....

First of all, we don't owe anyone anything. If we turn of this server tomorrow (it all costs us money) there will be no more fsd, aurora, link or anything.

Now besides all that, the fact Aurora is called beta, does not mean it is not stable. We never made it release because we kept adding features, which of course COULD have bugs. It is more stable than FSD ever could be.

If you have cover issues with Aurora, I am assuming they are caused by the internal server errors we get more often lately. You would have gotten the same issues with FSD. Nobody cares to donate anymore, so we can't upgrade the server.

You are saying that we should have leave a stable working FSD before moving to Aurora, but you also keep claiming FSD was more stable..... We cannot predict bugs 5 years in the future.

Having said all that, it MIGHT be a server issue we could fix, and we WILL be looking into it, if possible.

Nope, cover issue was possibly caused I have >60 games in console. I had  to update covers manually for some of them, because automatic scanning missed about 10 games. It's not a problem actually.

16 minutes ago, Mattie said:

We cannot predict bugs 5 years in the future.

I would be a complete idiot if I were asking it. We have discussed another single problem here. I didn't ask to fix all future bugs. Sure in some time everybody will move to Aurora.

16 minutes ago, Mattie said:

Having said all that, it MIGHT be a server issue we could fix, and we WILL be looking into it, if possible.

THANK YOU! In this case we can stop this discussion. This is the only answer I wanted to hear.

P.S. Why don't you make a paid connection for online players? If the payment for the server is the issue - this is the solution.

4 hours ago, gjf said:

Nope, cover issue was possibly caused I have >60 games in console. I had  to update covers manually for some of them, because automatic scanning missed about 10 games. It's not a problem actually.

I would be a complete idiot if I were asking it. We have discussed another single problem here. I didn't ask to fix all future bugs. Sure in some time everybody will move to Aurora.

THANK YOU! In this case we can stop this discussion. This is the only answer I wanted to hear.

P.S. Why don't you make a paid connection for online players? If the payment for the server is the issue - this is the solution.

can you test it  now?

ok, so now we will do a test with these paid online services you mentioned, please donate 100$ or we will turn it off again ;)

14 minutes ago, Mattie said:

ok, so now we will do a test with these paid online services you mentioned, please donate 100$ or we will turn it off again ;)

I am not an online player, man :)

And you are almost successful to push me to Aurora, especially if you will fix the problem with Unicode named resources in connectX ;)

2 minutes ago, gjf said:

I am not an online player, man :)

And you are almost successful to push me to Aurora, especially if you will fix the problem with Unicode named resources in connectX ;)

But you do require our online services...

Anyway, we don't want to 'push' anyone to Aurora, we sincerely believe it is a far better piece of software than FSD ever was (of course there is a matter of taste concerning the menu layout or skinning, but stability and speed are far superior)

As for fixing stuff in ConnectX... we can't change that, we can only look if it is the way we read those filenames FROM connectx...

Let's move to appropriate thread to discuss it. This one can be closed now.

2 hours ago, Mattie said:

can you test it  now?

could you tell me the response FSD will actually wait for? its just an response that could be delievered by a local httpd. ;)
in fact i dont believe somebody would patch it out of fsd and i dont have any clue to change things in in FSD, but i can build httpd for me.

little php thing..

I don't have the FSD source at hand, we just forwarded the domains back to where they were last week

18 hours ago, AntiFly said:

could you tell me the response FSD will actually wait for? its just an response that could be delievered by a local httpd. ;)
in fact i dont believe somebody would patch it out of fsd and i dont have any clue to change things in in FSD, but i can build httpd for me.

little php thing..

Hook up your console to a laptop or something and capture the traffic with wireshark, that's what i do when i need to see traffic from a console :) (such as while i was dumping Xbox 360 updates, i used to capture the traffic by using my laptop as a virtual wifi router running wireshark on the ethernet port to capture all traffic, i didn't need this tho as i was able to extract the update data from a USBMU back when i was doing this, despite people saying it couldn't be done anymore)

I'll just have a question. As a result of this bug Link was still possible on FSD but as the domain name jqe.com was down there was a bad response from the server ... this means that under FSD to play Link this first passes through Jqe.com then redirected to xboxunity.net ?

FSD Crash not a server bug. This is the fix it ->
Go to DashLaunch and leave these options enabled:

livestrong = true
liveblook = true 
xhttp = true 

and voila, working, bye - bye crash.

Your welcome