RealModScene
gavin_darkglider

Features As a Community We Would Like To See In The Future Utility Script API/Aurora

EDIT: ok, even the sdk has a sample for music player, XMPBackgroundMusic

and that uses .wma as the format in the sample.. and audacity is a free program to convert the music to wma or wav.. maybe that should be incorporated into aurora? instead of going the lua route?

EDIT 2: SNES360 has a mp3 library in it.. maybe look at the source and implement that, and still have aurora use it, so it is a whole system thing, and just doesn't cut out when you back out of the lua script

Audacity is a great program, dont get me wrong, but to convert just the MP3 library from it, would be difficult, as it uses other libraries for that. In Linux, I am fairly certain it uses Gstreamer/FFMpeg for the encoding/decoding. In windows, the libraries are built as DLL files along side of Audacity. Audacity is a front end for conversion. As for taking the MP3 library from Snes360, it is a closed source program, I looked for the code to that app when I was looking for emulators to have the aurora rom browser code added to it, as that was the Snes emulator I used previously. I liked how it had achievments, for running different games, and stuff.

• Like 1

Audacity is a great program, dont get me wrong, but to convert just the MP3 library from it, would be difficult, as it uses other libraries for that. In Linux, I am fairly certain it uses Gstreamer/FFMpeg for the encoding/decoding. In windows, the libraries are built as DLL files along side of Audacity. Audacity is a front end for conversion. As for taking the MP3 library from Snes360, it is a closed source program, I looked for the code to that app when I was looking for emulators to have the aurora rom browser code added to it, as that was the Snes emulator I used previously. I liked how it had achievments, for running different games, and stuff.

You are misunderstanding.. im not asking for a conversion program in xb360 lol..

was stating that it could be used to convert the mp3 to wav or wma before being transfered to 360.. as there are alot of crappy/paid apps to convert sounds.. audacity is free for anyone..

Now as is.. wma and wav play natively.. the problem with those are file sizes.. wav's tend to be 20-30mb per song..

This is why i chose xma for my skin.. for file size, and natively played on xb.. mp3s have to be decoded or w.e afaik.. and that is more processing power..

I did a webui test on ram usage while playing 6 songs in xma format, at the same time.. and the ram usage did not jump up that much.. will do a test with wav format in a while..

Now reason i was stating have the audio library within aurora.. is so the music will play in all of aurora, versus just inside of the lua section.. as when you back out of the script section, audio will stop..

If you have a separate xur for the music, same issue.. as when you press B to "go back" music will stop playing..

Only way to have music still play, while navigating menus, is have it done like the video i posted.. without changing aurora coding..

Now if the qv filter button press is changed, i can do a cleaner/better setup..

I'll draw up some psuedo-code.. and show you my thoughts for this in a bit

Edit:

and what i mean by having audio library built into aurora, like with snes360, path will be like this -

Hdd:/aurora/User/sounds/ <-- 0.6 setup lol

And the songs be generic titles -

Song1.mp3 (wav/xma)

Song2.mp3

Song3.mp3

Ect..

The FFMPeg library is a bit bulky for what we'd be trying to do with it, its pretty tough to strip those libraries out and get them to compile in a different environment since they have so many dependencies.

I'd like something like     tinymp3.c  or something where is a single file  mp3 decoder into Xbox 360 audio format.     But I am not sure that exists with out a bit of work.  

286y7x0.png

Tab 1:

This would be the music player tab, would have the track slider bars, info about the songs if person wants ect...

Tab 2:

This would be exactly how aurora is now, with coverflow, game data, ect still 100% as is

Tab 3:

Custom settings menu, which use as skinners have done, buttons for file manager, ect...

Navigating the tabs:

Just use the shoulder buttons, and ofc, the tabs wrap around, as in XUItool, it is a simple tick of the "Wrap" option..

now, a skin like this is 100% possible, with the songs being left up to the particular skin, if aurora wasn't hardcoded to use RB/LB for the quick view options..

it allows a button to be made that call's the options, or to use another button, say R stick or L stick press to bring it up on the Games tab, while still being able to flip thru the menu's, listening to their music...

Edit: if one wants sounds on button press.. you just have to add it in under the press frames of xuibutton.. but not all of the button options are called on the same visual, as you have xuigamepad_A which doesnt have a press transition, so no sounds will be played when thats pressed..

• Like 2

Some new Points

1.) I would like to be able to use Cookies.

I was going to create a Utility Script, where you list your Friend List, the login works, but for GetFriendList.php i need the phpsession Cookie.

2.) Maybe having some Unity API like, login to Unity, get API Code, getFriendList would be nice to have.

(I Also think about those features, if they don't belong to the "Unity" Settings or future Nova Module, so my effort wouldn't be worth it.)

3.) Auto-Checking for Updates for the Scripts from The Repo would be also a nice feature, maybe integrated into the Scripts-Engine, or a function for each script (checkForUpdates())

1. You could always save the cookie data in an ini file, or in the database, and pass the session data on the URL. Just a thought.

2. I agree with the Unity API, Just for ease of use, and the fact that Aurora, and Unity go together.

3. Wont make a difference until there is some sort of Auto run ability for scripts. As it is you can add a check update feature to the script you are working on.

3) It's already possible, i haven't implemented a loop to check for updated scripts to it (apart from updating itself)

You can easily take the updating part from that and put in your own script along with how it processes the utility scripts list...

3. Wont make a difference until there is some sort of Auto run ability for scripts. As it is you can add a check update feature to the script you are working on.

Didn't you read what MaesterRowen said? It's already possible to auto-run scripts... you just have to update the main.lua file that's in the aurora install...

Sent from my SM-G903F

1.) well i cant save the cookie from Unity and use it. Thats why i wrote point 2.) where mention that we need Unity APIs without performing logins etc. And thats also resulting to the tought about extending the Unity Area instead of having scripts for.

3.) i more meant it to be like the script scene itself checks for the version number of all installed scripts and tells us that there are updates in the repo, so we dont have to implement any code.

3) It's already possible, i haven't implemented a loop to check for updated scripts to it (apart from updating itself)

You can easily take the updating part from that and put in your own script along with how it processes the utility scripts list...

Didn't you read what MaesterRowen said? It's already possible to auto-run scripts... you just have to update the main.lua file that's in the aurora install...

Sent from my SM-G903F

I missed that post. lol. Good to know. It would be nice to have an easy feature that would edit that for you. lol. Might work on that on my weekend.

1.) well i cant save the cookie from Unity and use it. Thats why i wrote point 2.) where mention that we need Unity APIs without performing logins etc. And thats also resulting to the tought about extending the Unity Area instead of having scripts for.

3.) i more meant it to be like the script scene itself checks for the version number of all installed scripts and tells us that there are updates in the repo, so we dont have to implement any code.

3) I'm not sure if that's a good idea at this time, it also means we kind of have to make the repo browser be part of Aurora and not a Utility Script like it is right now...

3) I'm not sure if that's a good idea at this time, it also means we kind of have to make the repo browser be part of Aurora and not a Utility Script like it is right now...

Not if you were to add the possibilty to run lua scripts with switches, so you could add it to the main.lua, to run on startup with the switch to check updates, then when there are updates, it would inform you on aurora load, so you could choose to install them. Just a thought. Might not be worth it, for the time constraints on load though.

This is actually why I don't make skins for Aurora, all you really can do is change the background lol. No freedom in terms of skin making. I'll always prefer FSD as it just feels more organized and looks nicer. 

This is actually why I don't make skins for Aurora, all you really can do is change the background lol. No freedom in terms of skin making. I'll always prefer FSD as it just feels more organized and looks nicer.

There is tons of freedom in skin making.. you just have to know what to do.. and you really, really have to understand that the skin is exactly that.. it isnt code at all..
  • Like 2

Does the script engine have the ability to hook to the i2c so we could drive a i2c LCD?

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L02 using Tapatalk

No, there is no low-level access to anything, the closest thing is to modify the fan/temperature settings

Sent from my SM-G903F

You could use UART, it would require some work, on a hardware converter, from UART to I2C/Parallel, and then there is the assembly, that goes into it.

We don't expose UART in LUA either...

Would it be possible to add access the uart for controlling the demon?

It has 16 I/O from what I gather and it would be nice to play with a script to poke and peek the demon dual nand and see if we can access them or any other features like nand switch.

bit bang i2c comes to mind :-)

Xecuter has never released info on control of the I/O from uart and if it is even possible we only have info on control of the chip from the dll over the usb connection from a pc and even then it is a bit vague.

You could use UART, it would require some work, on a hardware converter, from UART to I2C/Parallel, and then there is the assembly, that goes into it. 

A level shifter straight in to a Arduino or such would do as an easy solution there, but as swizzy said uart is not able to be accessed (yet) :-)

Arduino would work, but at the same time I wouldnt suggest it, as the it is fairly big, I would go wit a xilinx dev board, like the coolrunner, myself. not the actual coolrunner, but something similar. You can program it like the arduino, but like the coolrunner, it stores the software on the chip for interacting wit the screen, then you can send commands via uart to the xilinx chip, that controls the screen. just my thoughts. It would make interfacing with the screen easier in the scripts, as you can simply send commands like line1,"String Of Text here", etc. via uart, and the xilinx would do the rest. I did some looking into this when I was thinking about continuing the work on the XBMC4XBOX360 port.  

as for the demon IO ports, I dont know if the firmware on the demon will allow you to use them, unfortunately.

Arduino would work, but at the same time I wouldnt suggest it, as the it is fairly big, I would go wit a xilinx dev board, like the coolrunner, myself. not the actual coolrunner, but something similar. You can program it like the arduino, but like the coolrunner, it stores the software on the chip for interacting wit the screen, then you can send commands via uart to the xilinx chip, that controls the screen. just my thoughts. It would make interfacing with the screen easier in the scripts, as you can simply send commands like line1,"String Of Text here", etc. via uart, and the xilinx would do the rest. I did some looking into this when I was thinking about continuing the work on the XBMC4XBOX360 port.

as for the demon IO ports, I dont know if the firmware on the demon will allow you to use them, unfortunately.

There are smaller arduino boards... xillinx isn't something i would recommend for this at all, arduino or teensy would be a better fit...

Sent from my SM-G903F

Is there any way to show the bit error rate from the DVD drive as i just was tweaking in a laser module and it would be handy to assess laser quality

There are smaller arduino boards... xillinx isn't something i would recommend for this at all, arduino or teensy would be a better fit...

Sent from my SM-G903F

Yup cpld's are not so nice to program compared to a micro of some sort, it is a steep learning curve to master vhdl, verilog or other hardware descriptive languages, cpld's ide is often not cheap either.