RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
BaconGaming52

Aurora fan speed?

My xbox CPU and GPU temp is usually at around 70-80 C after playing for an hour with aurora default fan speed. But, if i use freestyle, i can set my own fan speed and the temp is usually only around 50-60 C after playing for an hour. Is it ok to have the temp of 70-80 C? Is the aurora fan slow?

I always open FSD after booting my xbox just in case it overheats, because the temp is always in the red level in FSD after playing with default aurora fan speed. Should i keep doing this?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

You could also write a utility script to modify launch.ini, just for this, so you can do it directly from aurora. Unfortunatly, there is no option to apply new dashlaunch settings in aurora, so if you did it that way, you would have to reboot the console for settings to take effect, which you can do with the current api.

You could also write a utility script to modify launch.ini, just for this, so you can do it directly from aurora. Unfortunatly, there is no option to apply new dashlaunch settings in aurora, so if you did it that way, you would have to reboot the console for settings to take effect, which you can do with the current api.

Launch.ini don't have fanspeed settings, you can change them using utility scripts (iirc)

It's highly NOT reommended that you change the actual fanspeed, it's better to modify the target temperatures...

All of these things can easily break everything

Sent from my SM-G903F

Launch.ini don't have fanspeed settings, you can change them using utility scripts (iirc)

It's highly NOT reommended that you change the actual fanspeed, it's better to modify the target temperatures...

All of these things can easily break everything

Sent from my SM-G903F

I was saying you could write a target temp script for changing that information in the launch.ini, not that you could adjust the fan speed with utility scripts.

Is 70-80 C ok?

Depends on console model...

I was saying you could write a target temp script for changing that information in the launch.ini, not that you could adjust the fan speed with utility scripts.

Which is reverse to what i just said, and reversed to what you can do :)

Sent from my SM-G903F

I have Jasper for example and I get somewhere around those temps. So would you say it is OK with Jasper, or should I change target temp in Dashlaunch?

I have corona...

Sometimes my console crashes and shuts down after playing for around 5 hours of battlefield 4 when i set the fan speed in FSD to 80%... is this because of the fan speed?

I have corona...

Sometimes my console crashes and shuts down after playing for around 5 hours of battlefield 4 when i set the fan speed in FSD to 80%... is this because of the fan speed?

You would have to either check the log, which probably isnt one, or run xbwatson when it happens.. does your xb red-ring? Or just shutdown? As just shutting down can be due to a dashlaunch setting when the game/app crashes

You would have to either check the log, which probably isnt one, or run xbwatson when it happens.. does your xb red-ring? Or just shutdown? As just shutting down can be due to a dashlaunch setting when the game/app crashes

No RROD

I remembered that there was somekind of message... i think...

No RROD

I remembered that there was somekind of message... i think...

Yeah, run your dashlaunch, and check if fatalshutdown is set to true, or which ever.. you want to have fatalreboot set.. it isnt jtag friendly, but works fine on rgh's afaik
  • Like 1

FatalReboot works on my R-jtag. Dont have a regular jtag to test on, but as the image is the same, i would assume it would.

It works on newer ones, it doesn't work so good with some really old patches...

Sent from my SM-G903F

So far, no one has answered my main question...

Aurora doesn't actually do anything to the fan, but no... 70-80 degrees celcius is above average for a corona, they're normally in the 60-70 range

Same for jasper which someone else asked, only Xenon & zephyr really have a normal average of around 80

Sent from my SM-G903F

I have always used DashLaunch to set my maximum target CPU temp to 60 degrees Celsius. This configures the SMC to regulate the fan speed to maintain that temp as a maximum. I use Coronas, and generally speaking, the CPU heats up the most/the fastest. With that being said, as long as the SMC is keeping the CPU at that temp or lower, it will also keep the GPU and Ram below that temp as well. I've found that 60 degrees Celsius is a good balance of safe temperature to minimal fan noise. I never set a static fan speed as it could be too much or too little depending on the situation. As stated in other replies, you will need to reboot your console for these DashLaunch settings to take effect upon changing them.

• Like 2

Aurora doesn't actually do anything to the fan, but no... 70-80 degrees celcius is above average for a corona, they're normally in the 60-70 range

Same for jasper which someone else asked, only Xenon & zephyr really have a normal average of around 80

Sent from my SM-G903F

What fan speed do u recommend in freestyle

What fan speed do u recommend in freestyle

EDIT: nevermind

Auto, changing the targets instead

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk

You do know that the kernel library for utility scripts has an option to set fan speed, and set target temps. You would have to run the script everytime you boot the xbox, but it wouldnt be too hard to write, as all you would need to do is call the functions, and it would work. should be something like......

You have to add the tabs your self, as the code box does not add them. Should be simple enough. I have not tested this, as I wrote this on my lunch at work in about 5 minutes, but it should work.

scriptTitle = "Set Fan Speed"
scriptAuthor = "Gavin_Darkglider"
scriptVersion = 1
scriptDescription = "Set Fan Speed To A Specific Percentage"

scriptPermissions = { "kernel" };

FanSpeedPercent=75; -- Set Percentage here

-- Main entry point to script
function main()	
	print("-- " .. scriptTitle .. " Started...");
	--Could add Mesagebox, but I am lazy, and if it works, you should hear fan speed up.
	if Kernel.SetFanSpeed(FanSpeedPercent) then
		print("-- " .. scriptTitle .. " Fan Speed Set Correctly...");
	else
		print("-- " .. scriptTitle .. " Fan Speed Not Set Correctly...");
	end
	print("-- " .. scriptTitle .. " Ended...");
end

Edited by gavin_darkglider

No, these changes are applied to the smc_config which means you need to reboot for changes to take effect

Sent from my SM-G903F

As I said, I didnt test it, as I am at work. I just wrote it in 10 minutes, to show that it could be done. Love how the code box removed all of the tab stuff. I would have thought the fan speed function would be a temporary thing like in FSD, and the

bool Kernel.SetCPUTempThreshold( unsigned threshold );
bool Kernel.SetGPUTempThreshold( unsigned threshold );
bool Kernel.SetEDRAMTempThreshold( unsigned threshold );

I will do some testing on that script later, when I am off work, and see if it actually works, if it works as expected, I will upload a .lua file, for people to copy to their consoles. Will probably do A temp threshold script also, as that is the better way to do it.

Actually, my bad... the fan speed is set temporarily, the threshold on the other hand is not... it's written to the actual config

ok, I will undo the edit in the previous post.

edit: Here is a working fanspeed script. Enjoy, and read the instructions, which tell you nothing about installing it, as at this point it should be obvious.

Maybe in the next version of aurora, they will add a feature to load utility scripts on boot, so you dont have to manually load it everytime you reboot the console.

FanSpeed.rar

• Like 1