RealModScene
ScottPike709

External HDD problems?

First of all I apologize if this is not the correct place for this post.

I have recently gotten a RGH xbox and i just downloaded MW2 iso once i extracted all the parts and opened them in Xbox Image Browser (XBC) and transfer the folder to my external HDD which is configured as Fat32 already when i load up file manager or xex menu and look at USB0: it shows 3 folders with a bunch of random characters for their titles... Wondering if anyone is able to help. Thanks!

• Like 3

First of all I apologize if this is not the correct place for this post.

I have recently gotten a RGH xbox and i just downloaded MW2 iso once i extracted all the parts and opened them in Xbox Image Browser (XBC) and transfer the folder to my external HDD which is configured as Fat32 already when i load up file manager or xex menu and look at USB0: it shows 3 folders with a bunch of random characters for their titles... Wondering if anyone is able to help. Thanks!

I think u can play the game in the normal xbox 360 dash

Or if u use aurora or freestyle, u can just set the file location of your game as the games folder in freestyle or aurora so that it appears in "games" and u can play it right away from there

P.S

try to see if the game appears in your usb in your retail dash storage settings

i am not a pro or an expert in rgh and i'm just trying to help with what i know and i do make a lot of mistakes so forgive me if im wrong.

Sorry for my "hard to understand explanation" too if u cannot understand

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

Locate the game folder you transferred to the Xbox. There should be a default.xex file inside, launch it from FSD or XEXMenu. The game should start.

I have however experienced that some XEX files don't work from the external (USB0:) but when you transfer them to internal (HDD1:) they work.

Try both locations, move folder to HDD1: if the says something about you need to re download game. 

Edited by thatompeta
Further results revealed

I have however experienced that some rips don't work from the external (USB0:) but when you transfer them to internal (HDD1:) they work.

Update your Nand and\or reformat your external HDD and you should be fine ;)

To answer the OP :

Microsoft removed the size limitation of 32 Gb to the external usb storage since Kernel 2.0.17349. Now you're able to store up to 2 Tb on an external USB HDD but you need to format it with the console because the file structure changed. You can't no more see its content onto the PC the easy way. You need a soft like Horizon or FATXplorer.

21 minutes ago, Blackjack said:

To answer the OP :

Microsoft removed the size limitation of 32 Gb to the external usb storage since Kernel 2.0.17349. Now you're able to store up to 2 Tb on an external USB HDD but you need to format it with the console because the file structure changed. You can't no more see its content onto the PC the easy way. You need a soft like Horizon or FATXplorer.

Actually since 17349 you have FAT32 with a hidden folder named "Content" which basically holds everything the same way it does on other memory...

The 32GB limit still exists, just now in the form of "System Memory" (which is the old format that requires something like Horizon, FATXplorer, Party Buffalo etc.)

Actually since 17349 you have FAT32 with a hidden folder named "Content" which basically holds everything the same way it does on other memory...

Yes indeed I forgot this. To see it on a PC plug in then Tools\Folders Options\ Display tab\Hidden Files and Folders\ tick " Display Hidden Files Folders and Drives ". Click Apply then Ok.

The 32GB limit still exists

Hum ? I don't understand...

mini_581163Kernel2017349Changelog.jpg

1 hour ago, Blackjack said:

Yes indeed I forgot this. To see it on a PC plug in then Tools\Folders Options\ Display tab\Hidden Files and Folders\ tick " Display Hidden Files Folders and Drives ". Click Apply then Ok.

Hum ? I don't understand...

mini_581163Kernel2017349Changelog.jpg

You just extract the contents and delete the hidden Xbox 360 folder, that'll make it be the "new" format when you put the files where they belong ;)

You just extract the contents and delete the hidden Xbox 360 folder, that'll make it be the "new" format when you put the files where they belong ;)

Really ? If so thx for the tip i didn't know. Never ending to learn :thumbsu:

Ok so nevermind of the System Volume Information hidden folder. Have to let it so.

I don't want to spam this topic but the 32 Gb limitation has been removed onto External Storage according to the Official changelog isn't it ? That point bothers me lol

5 minutes ago, Blackjack said:

Really ? If so thx for the tip i didn't know. Never ending to learn :thumbsu:

Ok so nevermind of the System Volume Information hidden folder. Have to let it so.

I don't want to spam this topic but the 32 Gb limitation has been removed onto External Storage according to the Official changelog isn't it ? That point bothers me lol

"System Volume Information" is a regular Windows folder... nothing to do with Xbox 360 ;) Yes, for Content... but not System, like i mentioned^

Yes, for Content... but not System, like i mentioned^

Ok i understand it's clear for me now. You were talking about System Internal Memory whom still 32 Gb limitation restrains. In one hand it's obvious that any System Update couldn't change the South Bridge limitation.

We were not talking about the same thing. I focused exclusively on the External Storage 32 Gb capacity limitation's levelled up to 2 Tb.

I dont think you are getting it. In the old but still supported USB memory card format(System Internal Memory) that a stock Xbox 360 would create, you only were allowed 32GB on a  flash drive. With new kernels, you just add a hidden folder called Content to the root of the flash drive, and it will store the information, just like it does on the console HDD. This unlocks the limitation, as you are not using System Internal Memory. System Internal Memory is a virtual XTAF formated HDD, that the Xbox is a maximum of 32GB, which is the same partition type that is used on an internal HDD, but with a size limitation. I hope this clears some of the confusion.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Blackjack said:

Ok i understand it's clear for me now. You were talking about System Internal Memory whom still 32 Gb limitation restrains. In one hand it's obvious that any System Update couldn't change the South Bridge limitation.

We were not talking about the same thing. I focused exclusively on the External Storage 32 Gb capacity limitation's levelled up to 2 Tb.

No, not internal system memory, i'm talking about System Memory on the USB, the old format, it's still supported for reading AND creating but is limited to 32GB

Ok thx guys for the clarifications :thumbsu:

If i well understand this time on " new " Kernels System Internal Memory the " old " format which has 32 Gb capacity limitation is still present but not used exclusively anymore.

So in other words no need to reformat the Usb HDD for someone whom previously set it up under " old " Kernel to remove the 32 Gb limitation ?

He will just have to create a hidden Content folder ?

2 hours ago, Blackjack said:

Ok thx guys for the clarifications :thumbsu:

If i well understand this time on " new " Kernels System Internal Memory the " old " format which has 32 Gb capacity limitation is still present but not used exclusively anymore.

So in other words no need to reformat the Usb HDD for someone whom previously set it up under " old " Kernel to remove the 32 Gb limitation ?

He will just have to create a hidden Content folder ?

Yes, there's no "System Internal Memory" tho, there's only "System Memory" and "Memory"...

Besides creating the Content folder, you also have to delete the Xbox 360 folder (which holds the files for the old format) this removes the restriction, they cannot co-exist, if the Xbox 360 folder (old style) exists that has precedence over the new format

This is so clear like clear waterfalls. I learn quick but you have to explain me for a while lol

I'm not concerned personally with this this external HDD problem because i never use some but i find this topic very useful. And i hope ScottPike709 find it too ;)

By useful and handy i mean no need to use the restrictive offical's MS process by reformat a complete external USB HDD. For instance :

Someone who own a Jtag\Glitch console with an external  Usb Hdd formatted under 2.0.17349. He decides to update his Nand to 17511. Most of the games aren't recognized beyond 32 Gb capacity. Then he just have to create a hidden " Content " folder and delete the " Xbox 360 " one.

28 minutes ago, Blackjack said:

This is so clear like clear waterfalls. I learn quick but you have to explain me for a while lol

I'm not concerned personally with this this external HDD problem because i never use some but i find this topic very useful. And i hope ScottPike709 find it too ;)

By useful and handy i mean no need to use the restrictive offical's MS process by reformat a complete external USB HDD. For instance :

Someone who own a Jtag\Glitch console with an external  Usb Hdd formatted under 2.0.17349. He decides to update his Nand to 17511. Most of the games aren't recognized beyong 32 Gb capacity. Then he just have to create a hidden " Content " folder and delete the " Xbox 360 " one.

Do note that you have to extract the contents from the MU data before deleting the Xbox 360 folder tho as you lose the content within otherwise ;)