RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
qqlover2016

target temp not work in the 1st startup

Hello all, this is my first post here. 

here's some useless nonsense in case you have too much time:

before I state my issue I would really appreciate this forum and you great hackers here.

So I bought my xbox 360 JTAG/RGH(I really don't know which one is it, can someone tell me how to know it? :cat: )  like 2 months ago from another random guy who has no idea about the fun of hacking, so the console has a offical dash with system build 16537 and nothing else.

I'm not a core gamer and knew nothing about xbox360 at all(I was only attracted by kinect, but got bored quite soon :cat: ), but in the past 2 months I have read about a million post all over the Internet to know how to install new games and add some covers, etc.

so now I have Aurora 0.5 + DL3.17 with system build 16537.

The funny thing I found is that not long after I installed DL3.17, when I started up my xbox the other day, played PES2015 for about 3 minutes, an alert poped up and told me xbox is shutting down to prevent overheat. So I saw the scarring red ring blinking in the power buttun for like 30 seconds and then it shutdown. after that, it's the the noise of fan which is screaming like crazy.

5 minutes later, I turned it back on and it works perfectly like nothing ever happened! 

First I thought it was just a one-occurrence issue but soon I found out it happens every time!

I learned in this forum to set target temperature 60/60/60 and expected it to solved the issue, 

I have Auroa 0.5+ DL3.17+ system build 16537, set target temp to 60/60/60. and here's the symptons and other hints:

* the issue occurs almost every time I startup my xbox: every time I start it up, I call the blade and watch the CPU temp goes to 90C and then it is forced to shut down;

* after I start it up again, the temperate and fan speed ALWAYS works as expected.

* I guessed it might be caused by lauch.ini not loaded correctly, but later I confirmed there is only one lauch.ini in the console and it's 100% loaded correctly.

* I tried to enter DL during the 1 startup: I can see all temps are set correctly and it's just getting higher and higher above the taget temp. I tried to override the fan speed directly, but the funny thing is that it's not working at all: I can't hear any difference and it still getting hotter;

* however, when I enter DL during the 2nd startup, tried to set fan speed, it wasn't working in the begining, but very strangely after I tweaking for several times, it began to work!

I really don't know why I have such a funny issue, no idea about the root cause, so before I try to upgrade the flash and screw everything I wish I can get some clues from professionals.  any idea is sincerely appreciated.

Happy Halloween! :sorcerer:

• Like 3

The issue is likely with the cooling itself, make sure the fan(s) are properly connected and working, if it/they aren't spinning it'd be why it overheats...

Once you've verified the easy steps it's time to dig deeper if the issue persists which means remove the heatsink, remove the old/existing thermal paste and put new one there, still an issue? Get another xbox (the sensor in the cpu is probably broken)

** Edit: **

It's not a Dashlaunch issue, and the ini has nothing to do with those settings, they're stored in the SMC_Config which is part of the nand, in order for the changes to take effect you gotta reload the smc which is easiest done by doing a power cycle (unplug the power cable a few seconds and plug it back in)

I also removed your other copy of this thread, if it's misplaced we'll move it for you...

Sent from my SM-G903F

I really appreciate your prompt reply, and thanks for placing the post in the right place, Swizzy. --actually, I was thinking over about your ideas:

1. I'm positive that fans are working, as they always work 100% as expected in the 2nd time I startup it;

2.the sensor in the cpu is probably broken?   you mean the temp sensor?  I don't think so as I can always read the correct temperatures.

the funny thing is that it looks like those fans are frozen or maybe 10% speed(?) when I power on my xbox, for some funny reason, it's either

(1)the fans cannot read the settings from SMC_Config so they work like some "factory mode"

or

(2)fans manage to read the SMC_Config setting but cannot spin up(not enough voltage in the beginning?)

What's extremely interesting to me is the difference of 1st startup and the 2nd startup(or reset), what happens in NAND/BIOS/HW/anything that matter during the forced shutdown?

any ideas? :cat:

and would upgrading kernel worth a try or just a waste of time?  :sorcerer:

Dump your nand, send it to me and i'll take a look at what the issue might be if it's software related...

It doesn't matter if it works sometimes and sometimes not, the sensor can still be broken...

Sent from my SM-G903F

You are awesome, Swizzy bro!

I haven't touched the nand thing yet but I'll study it right away and get the dump.

I'm really surprised to get your support as I didn't expect much... I really appreciate it.

You are awesome, Swizzy bro!

I haven't touched the nand thing yet but I'll study it right away and get the dump.

I'm really surprised to get your support as I didn't expect much... I really appreciate it.

Download and run Simple 360 NAND Flasher, press X (blue button) and it'll dump your nand, if you're asked if you want to dump system or full nand, just dump system... (only one model has this; JasperBB)

I'll also check exactly what model of console you have while i'm at it, it's "easy" to see in a dump (first bootloader & nand size says what model of console it is)...

I only need the nand for this, not your cpukey... and, you should send the link in a pm (don't post it here as someonr might download it and steal your keyvault, especially if you also share your cpukey)

Personally i usually use Sendspace for this :)

Sent from my SM-G903F

just had it dumped, and tried to open it with XeBuild, but seems the nand is corrupted or something that I got the error message: unable to determine dump size(it's 48MB actually)

some other info I got: cpu key masked.

do you still need the dump or perhaps I need to update the whole nand? 

is it possible to build a nand with these info only?

------ parsing console info response ------
Console Current Info:
running kernel  : 2.0.16537.0
bootstrap type  : Corona
hardware type   : Corona
hardware flags  : 0x50020267
internal HDD    : present
Image Type      : Corona4g (Glitch2)
CPU key         : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (weight:0x35 valid; ecd: valid)
DVD key         : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1BL key         : xxxxxxxxx (good)
Virtual Fuses   : not present
1BL RSA pub     : good
PIRS RSA pub    : good
MASTER RSA pub  : good
Xell Reason     : console eject button
CF LDV          : 1
Pairing Value   : 0x82ce43 
dumping console flash to \Users\Peter\Desktop\nanddump.bin
reading flash image from console...received 0x3000000 bytes data OK, writing to file \Users\Peter\Desktop\nanddump.bin...success!
Completed in 32s
success!

Its normal because XeBuild (GUI) cant basically handle MMC Images. Take a look into Swizzy or gavin-darkglider signature. They have linked to XeBuild guides. Look to the special note in the XeBuild Guides "Specific information for Corona with 4GB Internal memory". Its describes the special procedure for Corona 4G owners, to build their Nand Image.

Hey thanks, Dr.Gonzo ;-)

I found the part you mentioned looks like I just generated a new flash...

however my main concern is on SMC_config, and when I try to check SMC_config from the flashdmp, I got an .net exception...

I don't know if that is relevant at all, but that does make me wonder -- is setting SMC_Config in Corona 4G different from other motherboards somehow?

I don't know if it's a coincidence but I met this overheat issue not long after I installed DL3.17.....just some wild guesses, for your info :cat:

The issue is you've set the CPU Fan speed to 60% while your GPU Fan Speed is set to Auto, They're both supposed to be set to Auto...

I've built you a new NAND since you gave me your CPUKey aswell, flash that and you should no longer have the issue...

Swizzy, I flashed the Nand you gave me and yes, the issue is gone!!! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

however, I'm still puzzled:

not sure how I had those fan speed set as in DL i don't see any "Auto" option there...and how would that cause overheat?

I wish to keep digging and find out the root cause and make a conclusion :police:

Well, you checked the box to override the fanspeed... and it causes overheating by being fixed to 60%, it doesn't go up or down from that unless it literally overheats...

You will need to install the 17502 Avatar/Kinect data aswell

Sent from my SM-G903F

hey, thanks Swizzy I have updated avatar as well.

however, regarding the fan issue, I didn't even think of messing up the fan settings before I met the overheat....

I still have these questions: 

1.would installing DL3.17 or Aurora 0.5 change any SMC_Config data? if yes, what are the changes?

2.is setting SMC_config in DL3.17 installer tested in corona and confirmed working fine? because in my case, it seems changing SMC_Config in DL3.17 installer works OCCASIONALLY. And no matther how I config it, the next day I would still not hear the fan spining.

and seems I'm not alone - this guy has the same story:

http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/can-ramping-up-my-fan-speed-in-fsd-do-any-harm-to-my-rgh.885638/?jdfwkey=4aasj2

"I have a rgh corona v2 running F3 and noticed the auto setting doesnt seem to do ANYTHING in terms of changing fan speed. My xbox overheated the other day on the auto setting while playing a game. The auto setting, which is seems to be just the lowest fan speed (10% or 20%) Auto is okay for less intensive games but its dangerous for anything else. For some reason 65% is the next highest setting and it keeps everything cool but is too loud. I'm going to play with dash launch settings. My guess is 50% fan speed or a target temp of 60 is a good combination of temps and fan loudness."

hey, thanks Swizzy I have updated avatar as well.

however, regarding the fan issue, I didn't even think of messing up the fan settings before I met the overheat....

I still have these questions:

1.would installing DL3.17 or Aurora 0.5 change any SMC_Config data? if yes, what are the changes?

2.is setting SMC_config in DL3.17 installer tested in corona and confirmed working fine? because in my case, it seems changing SMC_Config in DL3.17 installer works OCCASIONALLY. And no matther how I config it, the next day I would still not hear the fan spining.

and seems I'm not alone - this guy has the same story:

http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/can-ramping-up-my-fan-speed-in-fsd-do-any-harm-to-my-rgh.885638/?jdfwkey=4aasj2

"I have a rgh corona v2 running F3 and noticed the auto setting doesnt seem to do ANYTHING in terms of changing fan speed. My xbox overheated the other day on the auto setting while playing a game. The auto setting, which is seems to be just the lowest fan speed (10% or 20%) Auto is okay for less intensive games but its dangerous for anything else. For some reason 65% is the next highest setting and it keeps everything cool but is too loud. I'm going to play with dash launch settings. My guess is 50% fan speed or a target temp of 60 is a good combination of temps and fan loudness."

Sadly, se7sins is full of ppl that have no idea what they're talking about, for instance they all say "setting the fan to 100% won't harm anyrhing", when infact anyone with atleast half a brain would tell you it'll wear down the fan faster... which results in the fan not working eventually...

It is possible that there is a bug with Dashlaunch and setting it to Auto... but it's highly unlikely...

Installing dashlaunch/aurora doesn't mess with these settings...

Auto tells the SMC to use it's math algorithm to decide what speed to run the fans at, which it does by factoring in the current temperatures and the target temperatures specified in the config...

If for any reason these settings are modified, the console needs to be power cycled in order for them to fully take effect...

Sent from my SM-G903F

I'd like to report some updates about this issue...

1. the fan issue occurred again, so I tried FSD3 to change speed, then I found it doesn't work at all...fan just won't spin!

2.what worse is the next day, it won't boot up...cannot enter Xell either(I don't even know if Xell is there or not, nevert tried that...)

3.finally I  bought some dissembling tools and opened my xbox... found: 1) it is a very cheap J-Tag chip; 2) the fan deson't spin at all when powering up.

4.it looks if i was willing to going further, I may have to take a soldering course and will very probably make a lot of holes in the board, so I gave up and sent it to the repairing service.

5.the reparing guy told me the issue is some wrong soldering and J-Tag needs to be replaced. 2 days later, he sent back the xbox and looks it's OK now...

So, it looks like just a HW issue :cat:

I don't know what homebrew stuff was intalled before I mess with it, I'm still wondering if it is because some jumpers or anything is not compatible with new SW and need to changed accordingly...anyway, I can play the games again.

Thanks again, Swizzy :sorcerer:

I'd like to report some updates about this issue...

1. the fan issue occurred again, so I tried FSD3 to change speed, then I found it doesn't work at all...fan just won't spin!

2.what worse is the next day, it won't boot up...cannot enter Xell either(I don't even know if Xell is there or not, nevert tried that...)

3.finally I  bought some dissembling tools and opened my xbox... found: 1) it is a very cheap J-Tag chip; 2) the fan deson't spin at all when powering up.

4.it looks if i was willing to going further, I may have to take a soldering course and will very probably make a lot of holes in the board, so I gave up and sent it to the repairing service.

5.the reparing guy told me the issue is some wrong soldering and J-Tag needs to be replaced. 2 days later, he sent back the xbox and looks it's OK now...

So, it looks like just a HW issue :cat:

I don't know what homebrew stuff was intalled before I mess with it, I'm still wondering if it is because some jumpers or anything is not compatible with new SW and need to changed accordingly...anyway, I can play the games again.

Thanks again, Swizzy :sorcerer:

If they messed up the wiring/soldering, they could potentially damage components controlling the fan, or simply disable it... it wasn't software related at all as there isn't anything in the software that modify the fan speed besides smc_config & the smc, which never changes (unless you deal with that manually)