RealModScene
retrogamers17

Errors when trying to setup LINK

Hi, has anyone tried to sign up for link with a recent comcast/xfinity router? I have port fowarding but its asking for a ipv4 address and i dont know what that address is for link. I also have port triggering which looks like fowarding but that didnt work when i put in the info.

• Like 2

The ipv4 address is the address of the xbox. with xfinity routers, if I remember correctly, should be something like 10.0.0.X . I would suggest setting up a reservation in the DHCP settings for the MAC address of the xbox, so it always gets the same IP. then forward the ports to that IP.

On top of that, I would suggest doing some research on how networking actually works, at the very least at a basic level. IPv4 has been a standard for years...... Like since the days of windows 3.11, even though for the most part those networks worked on a Novell netware, which used at the time IPX/SPX protocol, and not the TCP/IP protocol that is standard today. TCP/IP was used back then, just on an internet scale, and not a private network scale. Then again, that was back in the days of token rings being the default/cheaper setup also. The star based network layouts we use today are much nicer in so many ways, like if a cable gets broken, it doesnt kill the whole network, and the fact that you dont send the data from computer to computer, and you dont need terminators on the line. on a star based system the data gets sent to a switch, which then filters it to the correct computer. in all fairness there are also hubs, which dont filter data to machines, but instead send the data to all machines, but it is still faster then sending data from machine to machine and then back. While I would never suggest a hub in a network over a switch, due to security(Run somthing like wireshark with a hub, and you can capture every machines traffic). Now I am rambling..... As you can see I know way to much about this stuff.  

• Like 1

The ipv4 address is the address of the xbox. with xfinity routers, if I remember correctly, should be something like 10.0.0.X . I would suggest setting up a reservation in the DHCP settings for the MAC address of the xbox, so it always gets the same IP. then forward the ports to that IP.

On top of that, I would suggest doing some research on how networking actually works, at the very least at a basic level. IPv4 has been a standard for years...... Like since the days of windows 3.11, even though for the most part those networks worked on a Novell netware, which used at the time IPX/SPX protocol, and not the TCP/IP protocol that is standard today. TCP/IP was used back then, just on an internet scale, and not a private network scale. Then again, that was back in the days of token rings being the default/cheaper setup also. The star based network layouts we use today are much nicer in so many ways, like if a cable gets broken, it doesnt kill the whole network, and the fact that you dont send the data from computer to computer, and you dont need terminators on the line. on a star based system the data gets sent to a switch, which then filters it to the correct computer. in all fairness there are also hubs, which dont filter data to machines, but instead send the data to all machines, but it is still faster then sending data from machine to machine and then back. While I would never suggest a hub in a network over a switch, due to security(Run somthing like wireshark with a hub, and you can capture every machines traffic). Now I am rambling..... As you can see I know way to much about this stuff.  

Sorry, havent gotten the chance to reply. But thanks for the help. So pretty much find out how to make my xbox have a static ip, and then find out which one out of the list is my 360 and then use that as my ipv4? 

Sorry, havent gotten the chance to reply. But thanks for the help. So pretty much find out how to make my xbox have a static ip, and then find out which one out of the list is my 360 and then use that as my ipv4?

Pretty much yes :)

Look for how to reserve a ip or dhcp lease...

Sent from my SM-G903F

I would reserve an IP on the router for it, other than set a static IP on the xbox. That way, you know you wont have conflicts later. And it is less work to take to a friends house, as you wont have to change any settings on the xbox.

• Like 1